ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR holder vs British Citizen.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Galaa

ILR holder vs British Citizen.

Post by Galaa » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:28 am

Hi All,

I understood that if you are ILR holder you can not vote for General Election and the ILR status can be lost if you live outside UK for more than two years. Other than these two points what are the difference between settled person and British citizen?

Thanks in advance

vinny

Re: ILR holder vs British Citizen.

Post by vinny » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:54 am

The main difference between ILR and British citizenship is ironically when you are abroad. Within the UK, there is very little difference between the two. Indeed, children born to ILR holders within the UK are British citizens by birth.

ILR is a domestic legal status, that is not necessarily recognised by other countries and may not be of benefit outside the UK.

Consular assistance abroad is provided by the country/ies of your passport(s) (or countries associated with them). If you have only ILR, you will not be eligible for British consular assistance abroad.
Galaa wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:28 am
if you are ILR holder you can not vote for General Election
You can vote in the UK if you are a resident Commonwealth citizen (all elections) or EU citizen (for certain elections only). Wales now allows ILR holders to vote for elections to the Welsh Senedd elections. So British citizenship itself is not a requirement for voting in elections in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Galaa

Post by Galaa » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Thanks a lot, now it is much clear

pimlicollb31
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by pimlicollb31 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:27 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:54 am
The main difference between ILR and British citizenship is ironically when you are abroad. Within the UK, there is very little difference between the two. Indeed, children born to ILR holders within the UK are British citizens by birth.

ILR is a domestic legal status, that is not necessarily recognised by other countries and may not be of benefit outside the UK.

Consular assistance abroad is provided by the country/ies of your passport(s) (or countries associated with them). If you have only ILR, you will not be eligible for British consular assistance abroad.
Galaa wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:28 am
if you are ILR holder you can not vote for General Election
You can vote in the UK if you are a resident Commonwealth citizen (all elections) or EU citizen (for certain elections only). Wales now allows ILR holders to vote for elections to the Welsh Senedd elections. So British citizenship itself is not a requirement for voting in elections in the UK.
EU citizens cannot vote in general elections, it is British Citizens and selected commonwealth countries only. They can only vote in Mayoral or European elections.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm

pimlicollb31 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:27 pm
EU citizens cannot vote in general elections, it is British Citizens and selected commonwealth countries only. They can only vote in Mayoral or European elections.
And of course EU citizens have lost those limited UK voting rights without recourse to appeal.
Citizenship once granted isn't that easy to be taken away, apart from very defined circumstances, and even then there is normally a right of appeal.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:09 pm

ILR is just a normal permanent leave to remain while being a British national is totally a different case.Many migrants think both are similar rights wise but it is totally opposite of it. With ILR when travel outside UK very often silly immigration officers try to find something from your history to ask questions on which is too weird but travelling with British passport you don't have to face this stupidity.Also ILR is very easy to revoke as compared to nationality.ILR used to be a strong leave but these days it has been revoked on thousands of migrants hence has lost its previous value of a decade ago or so.

Xterra
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by Xterra » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:06 am

London22 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:09 pm
ILR is just a normal permanent leave to remain while being a British national is totally a different case.Many migrants think both are similar rights wise but it is totally opposite of it. With ILR when travel outside UK very often silly immigration officers try to find something from your history to ask questions on which is too weird but travelling with British passport you don't have to face this stupidity.Also ILR is very easy to revoke as compared to nationality.ILR used to be a strong leave but these days it has been revoked on thousands of migrants hence has lost its previous value of a decade ago or so.
I agree with you. I held ILR for 3 years before getting naturalised this year. I travel a lot due to my job and almost everytime I face these unnecessary questioning. I thought questions such as where I work and how much I earn are no longer necessary when I have ILR. But most of the time, it is not the questions themselves but the way they are asked.