ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1- section 1(3) apply for citizenship years later?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jolene84
Newly Registered
Netherlands

MN1- section 1(3) apply for citizenship years later?

Post by jolene84 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:08 am

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me with the following.

Nov 2012: me (Dutch citizen) and my partner got married and I moved from the Netherlands to the UK where my husband, at that point only a South African citizen, had been living and working since 2008. He only had a temporary resident permit at that point.

June 2014: our son was born and received a Dutch and South African passport as couldn't apply for UK nationality

Sep 2014: my husband received his ILR status in the UK

Nov 2015: my husband became a Dutch national based on the fact that we were married for 3 years and living abroad. He therefore didn't apply for UK nationality as he would lose his Dutch nationality and the plan was to move to the Netherlands eventually (and we didn't foresee Brexit).

June 2017: we moved to the Netherlands, all three of us as Dutch citizens and my husband still with his UK ILR

I am aware of the fact that a UK IRL status is only active for 2 years when moving abroad, but he has been back to the UK for work regularly on his IRL and I understand it get's re-actived everytime (so I was told).

I was informed by Home Office that my son cannot apply for UK nationality as my husband received his ILR only after he was born, and I didn't make the 5 years living in the UK as an EU citizen. However, when looking at the citizen application under section 1(3), children who's parent(s) get their UK ILR status after birth can still apply for citizenship. However no one can tell me if I should have done that straight after my husband received his ILR, while still living in the UK, or if I can still do that now- 3 years later. The only thing Home Office tells me to read the guidence booklet (done that- it doesn't say), or hire an adviser (too expensive).

Hopefully someone here can help me further. Many thanks in advance!!

vinny

Re: MN1- section 1(3) apply for citizenship years later?

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:14 am

Please continue in your original topic.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.