ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Outside UK more than 180 days due to UKVI Fault

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hopefulILR
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Outside UK more than 180 days due to UKVI Fault

Post by hopefulILR » Tue May 11, 2021 6:03 pm

Hello I need help and would appreciate if someone can provide guidance.

I’ve been on various visas in the UK and have never breached any immigration rules. I initially arrived the UK in January 2010. I would have clocked my 10 years in January 2020. In December 2019 I left the UK before my then valid Visa expired and applied for a dependant Visa from my home country. The visa was refused for a totally wrong reason so I requested an Admin review. Eventually the Admin review was successful and I was granted a dependent Visa in September 2020. Unfortunately the mistake from UKVI meant that I stayed outside the UK for more than 180 days. This alone has discouraged me from applying for ILR and risk losing my very high application fees if they refuse it based on the 180 day rule.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what was the outcome. I know UKVI can be very mean and I suspect they will refuse a person a Visa even if the reason for the refusal was their fault. Any help or advise will be really appreciated.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Outside UK more than 180 days due to UKVI Fault

Post by zimba » Wed May 12, 2021 11:04 am

You should ask for discretion to be applied in your case. There is no guarantee but you may be granted ILR under long residence if the long absence was not your fault. Did you apply for a new visa soon after leaving the country?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 12, 2021 3:04 pm

I'm going to disagree with @Zimba about the outcome of asking for discretion.

I think, from my reading of the Long Residence caseworker guidance, specifically pages 11-12, that the 180 day absence from the UK is a hard limit.

When discretion is exercised in such cases, the outcome will likely be LOTR (Leave Outside The Rules), not ILR.
If the applicant has been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in one period or more than 18 months in total, the application should normally be refused. However, it may be appropriate to exercise discretion over excess absences in compelling or compassionate circumstances, for example where the applicant was prevented from returning to the UK through unavoidable circumstances.

This must be decided at senior executive officer (SEO) level with a grant of leave outside the Immigration Rules being the appropriate outcome.
Also, as the discretion must be exercised at a more senior level than the caseworker, it is likely that your application will take longer than average.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

hopefulILR
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by hopefulILR » Wed May 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Zimba wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:04 am
You should ask for discretion to be applied in your case. There is no guarantee but you may be granted ILR under long residence if the long absence was not your fault. Did you apply for a new visa soon after leaving the country?
Thanks a lot Zimba. I’ll include the request for discretion in my cover letter. I just hope that request won’t further make them feel that I’m in the wrong.

Yes I applied for a new visa as soon as I left because I would have been short of about a month for me to reach my 10 years criteria under my previous visa.

hopefulILR
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by hopefulILR » Wed May 12, 2021 3:42 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:04 pm
I'm going to disagree with @Zimba about the outcome of asking for discretion.

I think, from my reading of the Long Residence caseworker guidance, specifically pages 11-12, that the 180 day absence from the UK is a hard limit.

When discretion is exercised in such cases, the outcome will likely be LOTR (Leave Outside The Rules), not ILR.
If the applicant has been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in one period or more than 18 months in total, the application should normally be refused. However, it may be appropriate to exercise discretion over excess absences in compelling or compassionate circumstances, for example where the applicant was prevented from returning to the UK through unavoidable circumstances.

This must be decided at senior executive officer (SEO) level with a grant of leave outside the Immigration Rules being the appropriate outcome.
Also, as the discretion must be exercised at a more senior level than the caseworker, it is likely that your application will take longer than average.
Thanks for your response secret.simon.

I read that same guidance and at page 11, at the second to the last paragraph, it says: “However, it may be appropriate to exercise discretion over excess absences in compelling or compassionate circumstances, for example where the applicant was prevented from returning to the UK through unavoidable circumstances.”

In this case, it was an unavoidable circumstance because the UKVI made a mistake which prevented me from returning to the UK. Further down it also says the caseworker should consider if the applicant returned as soon as possible. I returned 5 days after I received the Visa.

On the second aspect you mentioned, I suspect that they might give me leave outside the rules if successful.

Is there any thing like leave outside the rules for ILR or it must be the 5 or 10 year route only? Because that would mean a waste of 10 years struggling to get another 10 years again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:37 pm

What was the reason the pbs dependent visa was initially refused?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

juliechow
Newly Registered

Post by juliechow » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi there, did the HO accept your exercise discretion? I had the same situation as you.