ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a baby enter the UK with an american passport and MN1 certificate?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rajh1980
Newly Registered
India

Can a baby enter the UK with an american passport and MN1 certificate?

Post by rajh1980 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I have an american friend who needs to travel back to the United States after submitting a MN1 application for her son? He was born after she and her husband were granted ILR.

Assuming the MN1 application has been process and approved while the family is in America, can the baby enter the UK using his american passport and showing the MN1 certificate?

The family prefers to apply for the kind's British passport in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can a baby enter the UK with an american passport and MN1 certificate?

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:37 pm

He was born after she and her husband were granted ILR.
MN1 form is NOT required if the child was born after either parent received ILR. A child born in the UK to a parent who holds ILR is automatically British and applies for a passport directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rajh1980
Newly Registered
India

Post by rajh1980 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:37 pm
MN1 form is NOT required if the child was born after either parent received ILR. A child born in the UK to a parent who holds ILR is automatically British and applies for a passport directly.
Oh apologies; I meant to say he was born before they were granted ILR. My brain seems not working properly today; it's a weekend lol

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:05 pm

rajh1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:35 pm
CR001 wrote:
Oh apologies; I meant to say he was born before they were granted ILR. My brain seems not working properly today; it's a weekend lol
MN1 registration certificate shows citizen status but it is not a travel document. The child will not be refused entry to the UK but I doubt airlines will allow the child to board a flight to the UK without a visa or a British Passport. That will be the challenge
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:13 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:05 pm
rajh1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:35 pm
CR001 wrote:
MN1 registration certificate shows citizen status but it is not a travel document. The child will not be refused entry to the UK but I doubt airlines will allow the child to board a flight to the UK without a visa or a British Passport. That will be the challenge
The baby has a US passport so doesn't need a pre approved visa to board a plane.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.