ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - will this be classed as straightforward?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zuiderzee
Newly Registered
China

Spouse Visa - will this be classed as straightforward?

Post by zuiderzee » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:35 pm

Hope someone can help

In short: Are spouse applications from people who entered the UK without a visa automatically considered to be not straight forward?

In full: I'm a British citizen and my husband is Chinese. He entered the UK around 7 years ago without a visa and we married in June of last year. We applied outside immigration rules in April last year as he couldn't travel home due to covid restrictions, however in September we got a refusal letter after escalating to our MP. They agreed our relationship was geniune and that I met the financial criteria, however as the border was now open he could return to China and apply from there.

He returned at his own cost (wow - it's expensive at the moment - £2000 one way!), and we applied on Dec 13th. Note he's not ever been in contact with the police or immigration enforcement while in the UK, and has only ever accessed primary NHS services, which I understand won't affect his application.

We're using a solicitor for the application, but even aside from that the cost is staggering at over £10,000 to get him back to China, through three weeks of hotel quarantine and to pay for the application, although we did go priority.

We're now pretty much broke, and he's now wondering if he should get a job but we don't have any idea how long the applicaiton will take. I understand that if his application is considered "straightforward" then we should expect it later this month, but if not it could be another few months.

Does anyone know if the application will be considered not straight forward because of his illegal entry to the UK?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Spouse Visa - will this be classed as straightforward?

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 am

zuiderzee wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:35 pm
Hope someone can help

In short: Are spouse applications from people who entered the UK without a visa automatically considered to be not straight forward?

In full: I'm a British citizen and my husband is Chinese. He entered the UK around 7 years ago without a visa and we married in June of last year. We applied outside immigration rules in April last year as he couldn't travel home due to covid restrictions, however in September we got a refusal letter after escalating to our MP. They agreed our relationship was geniune and that I met the financial criteria, however as the border was now open he could return to China and apply from there.

He returned at his own cost (wow - it's expensive at the moment - £2000 one way!), and we applied on Dec 13th. Note he's not ever been in contact with the police or immigration enforcement while in the UK, and has only ever accessed primary NHS services, which I understand won't affect his application.

We're using a solicitor for the application, but even aside from that the cost is staggering at over £10,000 to get him back to China, through three weeks of hotel quarantine and to pay for the application, although we did go priority.

We're now pretty much broke, and he's now wondering if he should get a job but we don't have any idea how long the applicaiton will take. I understand that if his application is considered "straightforward" then we should expect it later this month, but if not it could be another few months.

Does anyone know if the application will be considered not straight forward because of his illegal entry to the UK?
With a previous refusal the application will not be classed as straightforward, previous adverse immigration history makes it further unlikely to be considered straightforward and priority application void ab initio

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:12 am

How did he get into the UK without a visa?

How did you manage to get married in the UK without HO approval, which you can only get if he has the relevant documents, i.e. a Fiancé or Marriage Visitor Visa? I'd question whether you are actually legally married.

And I agree entirely with Amazonia, you're application is far from straightforward, and I think you wasted money on priority service.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am

zuiderzee wrote:
Hope someone can help

Your solicitor shouldn't even recommend you to apply via priority because it is clear the application is not straightforward.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am
zuiderzee wrote:
Hope someone can help

Your solicitor shouldn't even recommend you to apply via priority because it is clear the application is not straightforward.
Calls to question whose interest he or she serves

zuiderzee
Newly Registered
China

Post by zuiderzee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Our solicitor did advise us that we may be wasting our time with the premium service, but we went for it anyway to try and shorten our time apart.

Re marriage, when we gave notice the registry office informed the Home Office due to lack of visa. We heard nothing and married two months later. Our marriage is fully legal I can assure you!

He arrived via Ireland, got a coach over the border after obtaining a Schengen visa.

My next question would be, assuming the application isn't straightforward, would we get any notification of this within the 30 day period? I presume because we went priority they'll at least tell us that the case isn't straightforward within the 30 days?

Thanks!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:01 am

zuiderzee wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:31 am
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Our solicitor did advise us that we may be wasting our time with the premium service, but we went for it anyway to try and shorten our time apart.

Re marriage, when we gave notice the registry office informed the Home Office due to lack of visa. We heard nothing and married two months later. Our marriage is fully legal I can assure you!

He arrived via Ireland, got a coach over the border after obtaining a Schengen visa.

My next question would be, assuming the application isn't straightforward, would we get any notification of this within the 30 day period? I presume because we went priority they'll at least tell us that the case isn't straightforward within the 30 days?

Thanks!
Applicants 'normally' get the NSFW email within the listed service period of the visa application service they apply for.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 am

Not relevant really, as neither the UK or Ireland are part of the Schengen agreement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zuiderzee
Newly Registered
China

Post by zuiderzee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 am
Not relevant really, as neither the UK or Ireland are part of the Schengen agreement.
Yes, you're right. His route was China > Malta > Spain > Ireland > Northern Ireland > England

He was trafficked here by his family against his will. He wasn't sure what visa he had as it was all arranged for him and his passport taken off him when he arrived in England. I just assumed it was a Schengen visa, but obviously not.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:28 am

zuiderzee wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am
CR001 wrote:
Yes, you're right. His route was China > Malta > Spain > Ireland > Northern Ireland > England
He needed to apply and be granted, a visitor visa to enter The Republic of Ireland legally.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... ntries.pdf

That visa would have allowed a total of a 3 month visit to visit RoI and the UK.

zuiderzee
Newly Registered
China

Post by zuiderzee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:39 pm

JB007 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:28 am
zuiderzee wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am
CR001 wrote:
He needed to apply and be granted, a visitor visa to enter The Republic of Ireland legally.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... ntries.pdf

That visa would have allowed a total of a 3 month visit to visit RoI and the UK.
That was probably done. All this was 7-8 years ago and it was all done by an agent before he left China. His father then told him he had a legal visa for the UK. It hit him hard when I took him to a solicitor who confirmed he almost certaintly never had a visa in the first place (he thought he was on a work visa, but they aren't usually issued for such long periods).

zuiderzee
Newly Registered
China

Post by zuiderzee » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:54 pm

His visa arrived today, so 32 working days with the decion letter dated 29 working days since biometrics. We didn't get any decision email, just a notification that the documents were out for delivery.

My solicitor also had another client in similar circumstances (overstayed visa) and they also chose prioirty (against advice) and were granted it at around 5 weeks.

So it looks like for those on a spouse visa who overstayed/had no visa (and no other complications) - the priority route does work. Our solicitor made it clear that it might not work, so they're also a little suprised!

Hope this helps someone else in similar circumstances.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm

zuiderzee wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:54 pm
His visa arrived today, so 32 working days with the decion letter dated 29 working days since biometrics. We didn't get any decision email, just a notification that the documents were out for delivery.

My solicitor also had another client in similar circumstances (overstayed visa) and they also chose prioirty (against advice) and were granted it at around 5 weeks.

So it looks like for those on a spouse visa who overstayed/had no visa (and no other complications) - the priority route does work. Our solicitor made it clear that it might not work, so they're also a little suprised!

Hope this helps someone else in similar circumstances.
Congratulations! Not all caseworker are straightforward because I know someone who has overstayed their leave previously and it took a almost 6 months. Generally, it is not recommend for such application to apply via priority as your application could have easily took a long time.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.