ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about BRP return

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Question about BRP return

Post by MoeAbbas » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Guys I have a question about my BRP return after naturalisation.
My son was born after I got my ILR and he was issued his British passport. HM passport office ended up losing my BRP and I had to apply for a replacement. Now that I am naturalised I need to return my BRP. Do you think I need to retain it to prove my sons status when I renew his passport despite it being a replacment? Or it doesn't matter now that he got his first passport ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Question about BRP return

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:01 am

MoeAbbas wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:19 pm
Guys I have a question about my BRP return after naturalisation.
My son was born after I got my ILR and he was issued his British passport. HM passport office ended up losing my BRP and I had to apply for a replacement. Now that I am naturalised I need to return my BRP. Do you think I need to retain it to prove my sons status when I renew his passport despite it being a replacment? Or it doesn't matter now that he got his first passport ?
Since he got first British passport after needed verifications done, there is no need for retaining BRP. Subsequent applications should be smooth.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:23 am

Your ilr brp is the only evidence that your son is British by descent. However your new brp likely is dated after your sons birth if you had to apply for a replacement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:52 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:01 am
Since he got first British passport after needed verifications done, there is no need for retaining BRP. Subsequent applications should be smooth.
Don't count on it. An applicant can be asked to prove their British citizenship at any future renewal. It happened a few years ago when children of EEA parents living in the UK under the EEA Regulations were denied passport renewals, because the interpretation of WRS (and so the children's right to British citizenship) was changed.

In any case, keep in mind that fresh documentary proof would almost certainly be required when the child themselves have children and those children (the grandchildren of the OP) would need to apply for a British passport.

To the OP: Do you have the letter stating your grant of ILR, the letter stating the issuance of your new BRP, etc? You may want to preserve them carefully. And yes, hold on to the new BRP too.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:06 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:52 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:01 am
Don't count on it. An applicant can be asked to prove their British citizenship at any future renewal. It happened a few years ago when children of EEA parents living in the UK under the EEA Regulations were denied passport renewals, because the interpretation of WRS (and so the children's right to British citizenship) was changed.

In any case, keep in mind that fresh documentary proof would almost certainly be required when the child themselves have children and those children (the grandchildren of the OP) would need to apply for a British passport.

To the OP: Do you have the letter stating your grant of ILR, the letter stating the issuance of your new BRP, etc? You may want to preserve them carefully. And yes, hold on to the new BRP too.
Going with your above summation. Remembered stating similar to forum member asking about keeping documents from the past, used Windrush as an example.
One can really not tell with government and policy changes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:14 am

Moreover, when they move to digital status for all, then only the Government would hold the evidence in a database? The Windrush scandal may be a walk in the Park compared to what lies ahead?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by MoeAbbas » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:15 am

Yes my new BRP is dated after my son was born so I am not sure if homeoffice would accept it for any future issues, I have emails when my ILR was granted, documents from HM passport office apologising for losing my BRP... I have everything in the form of emails and photocopies.

I am just not sure how good of an idea is it to retain an ILR BRP that was issued after his birth. And if I will keep it how do I deal with homeoffice asking for it back within 5 days?

Thank you everyone

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:24 am

Write to the Home Office.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:05 pm

vinny wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:14 am
Moreover, when they move to digital status for all, then only the Government would hold the evidence in a database? The Windrush scandal may be a walk in the Park compared to what lies ahead?
Nightmarish :shock:

ljager
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ljager » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:35 pm

vinny wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:24 am
Write to the Home Office.
I am in a similar situation. My child was born after I received ILR but I haven't yet applied for a passport for her. I was waiting to do so once I received my citizenship. I now have BC and have attended the ceremony.

I wrote to the HO using your letter as a template and requested to keep my BRP for proof of her citizenship and this was their response:

"Unfortunately I am unable to confirm that keeping hold of your BRP will not cause any problems in the future. If you have been advised to return your BRP card as part of the naturalisation process, then the guidance must be followed."

Should I pursue this any further? Has anyone else received another answer and were allowed to keep their BRP?

TIA

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:48 am

Unfortunately, returning a parent’s ILR BRP has caused a UK born child problems. I think there is legislation in place to keep it for nationality purposes.

Make a Freedom of Information request or search to see if they had formally warned or fined anyone for keeping it?

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 pm

For what its worth, my wife & I never sent our BRPs back & we got our ILRs & nationalities a year apart, nothing happened & there is nothing they can do about it anyway.

ljager
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ljager » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:55 pm

Thanks Vinny and Bruteforce! We have now applied for the passport and were asked to supply proof of our ILR so keeping the BRP was the right option.