ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am on a student visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Amazingernest
Newly Registered

Am on a student visa

Post by Amazingernest » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:25 am

Hello guys please I need some information here. I’m on a student visa, I got a British partner that we have been dating for about 17 months now,we planed to get married and give notice to the register office. And was referred to the home office for investigation. Also she about 6 months pregnant for me. Please any clue for what to expect. Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Am on a student visa

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:34 pm

You'll have to wait until the Home Office get's back yo you.
Regarding the child your British partner is expecting, it doesn't automatically give you permanent residency in the UK.
But experts here will comment further.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:59 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:34 pm
You'll have to wait until the Home Office get's back yo you.
Just to double check, if what the OP means is simply that they have given notice of marriage, then is just business as usual that they are given a leaflet explaining that the Home Office will be notified. That doesn't mean they have triggered any special request they should be expecting an outcome of, just that they have given notice of marriage (but OP can confirm).

The Home Office will either send notification that the ceremony can go ahead... Or not. It can just be complete silence. If within the allowed time (72 days, I think?) The Home Office hasn't communicated any opposition to the wedding taking place, then the local council will go ahead with the wedding ceremony (i.e. the council will interpret complete silence as approval).

All that to say, the OP doesn't necessarily needs to wait for the Home Office "to get back to them". We certainly personally didn't hear anything and our ceremony went ahead as planned.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:06 am

Does being on a student visa allow that person to marry without needing to get the fiance visa first? There is currently another thread on here where someone married a lady here on a holiday visa, and now they are facing the consequences of not doing things right.

Therefore, shouldn't you have to apply for fiancé visa first, and then to get the spouse visa so you can continue to live in the UK after your course has finished, and so pass the other income and accommodation etc requirements to get this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:18 am

THO wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:06 am
Does being on a student visa allow that person to marry without needing to get the fiance visa first? There is currently another thread on here where someone married a lady here on a holiday visa, and now they are facing the consequences of not doing things right.

Therefore, shouldn't you have to apply for fiancé visa first, and then to get the spouse visa so you can continue to live in the UK after your course has finished, and so pass the other income and accommodation etc requirements to get this?
There is NO requirement to apply for a fiance visa first, which is an application that can only be made outside the UK. Not possible to apply for it within the UK.

If a person is in the UK on another visa (non visitor), they can marry as long as they get UKVI approval and as long as their visa remains valid till they are married and they apply for a spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.