ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am on settled status. Wife on pre-settled. married for 6Y. can she apply for settled?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

passerby
Newly Registered
France

I am on settled status. Wife on pre-settled. married for 6Y. can she apply for settled?

Post by passerby » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:56 pm

As per title, Just got my settled status as did my son. My wife in non EU and she joined me 4 years ago initially as non-EU family member and then later got her pre-settled status. Can she apply for settled status? or does she have to wait for 5y in the UK? (we have been married for 6y)

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: I am on settled status. Wife on pre-settled. married for 6Y. can she apply for settled?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:07 pm

passerby wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:56 pm
does she have to wait for 5y in the UK?
Yes. To qualify for Settled Status, your wife needs to have resided in the UK as the spouse of an EEA citizen for at least five years.

Both the marriage and UK residence needs to be over five years and overlapping. Any period of marriage outside the UK does not count for the purpose of Settled Status. Any period of residence in the UK before the marriage to an EEA citizen also does not count for that purpose.

Both conditions need to be met for the same five years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

passerby
Newly Registered
France

Re: I am on settled status. Wife on pre-settled. married for 6Y. can she apply for settled?

Post by passerby » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:45 am

Thanks for the answer.

Considering that we might leave the UK in the summer just 3 months before she will complete 5y here. Can she apply 3 months early knowing that she is allowed to be 6 months outside of the UK?

If not, can she apply from outside the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:56 am

Can she apply 3 months early knowing that she is allowed to be 6 months outside of the UK?
No.
If not, can she apply from outside the UK?
Unlikely.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.