ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh possible?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NatCam
Georgia

Surinder Singh possible?

Post by NatCam » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:27 pm

Hello everyone,
This is our situation and we really need your help please:

We lived in Greece for 12 years or so. Moved to the UK before Brexit, mother stayed behind, since she didn't have a passport at the time.
We have a house in Greece - this is where my mother lived all this time. We are hoping to have her passport in March and bring her to the UK. She has lost her sight and hearing and needs everyday care.

My question is: is it still possible to get her here via Surinder Singh route? and what should I do? My understanding is that it is nearly impossible to get her here via UK family immigration route.
Thank you all.
P.S. I myself had EU family permit and then got pre-settled status.

NatCam
Georgia

Surinder Singh possible?

Post by NatCam » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:20 pm

Hi everyone,
Okay, my main question is: how do I prove that my mother lived with us in Greece? The trouble is that she didn't have a passport or a residence card. We applied for a new one in 2020 and are about to receive in March, hopefully. We waited 2.5 years for it.
I can provide statements from neighbours and her doctor. Money was sent, but on my sister's name, since my mother didn't have a passport, and even if she did, she wouldn't be able to collect it - she's almost blind.
My mother still lives in our house. How do I prove it?

Mng_two
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Surinder Singh possible?

Post by Mng_two » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:03 pm

That route is close now you cannot apply.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:15 pm

In much of western Europe, all residents would have been required to register with the local government authority that they are resident at a particular location. Was your mother not registered with the local government authority in Greece? If she was, an appropriate document from them would suffice.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:15 am

Thanks a lot, Simon. @secret.simon
I'll try to do that. When she arrived 20 years ago, she registered with our consulate in Athens. She lived with my sister and then had her visa extended, too - as a family member of a Greek national. After that they didn't bother.
She also has medical records, which I will get translated.
Thank you.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:53 am

NatCam wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:15 am
Thanks a lot, Simon. @secret.simon
I'll try to do that. When she arrived 20 years ago, she registered with our consulate in Athens. She lived with my sister and then had her visa extended, too - as a family member of a Greek national. After that they didn't bother.
She also has medical records, which I will get translated.
Thank you.
Registering with the consulate of one´s home country is not the same as registering residence with the local municipality.

Did she get a residence permit as the family member of a Greek national, issued by the Greek authorities?

What do you mean, they didn´t bother? What was the validity of that extended visa?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:58 am

My sister didn't bother with a residence card.
I know it is not the same. I need to show that she has lived here since 2002. I will contact local authorities on Monday.
I got married and moved to Greece in 2006. Before that lived in UK.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:07 pm

NatCam wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:15 am
My sister didn't bother with a residence card.
What's your mother's legal right to stay in Greece, then, and is it expired at this point? That's not got at all.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:40 pm

Hi,@meself2,

Didi you mean "it is not good at all"? No, it isn't, I know. My mother didn't have a valid passport at the time. May I explain:
She came to Greece in 2005 to live with her other daughter and her Greek family;
She had her visa extended, after that they (the relatives) did nothing;
When we applied for a new passport, it was rejected - couldn't obtain the birth certificate from the country of birth (Tajikistan);
Lived with us since 2008;
In April 2020 applied for the passport again, it was rejected;
In February 2023 applied again, birth certificate found, passport issued. Now awaiting for it's arrival;
I'm currently in Greece with mother. She really needs everyday care, since she has lost her sight completely.
We cannot stay in Greece longer than 3 months (me and my husband);
Mother has no relatives in Georgia, who would want to take care of her.

We could go UK immigration route, but, as I can see, it is impossible.

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:04 am

Hello again,
A very important question, please:

Can my mother apply for an EUSS Family Permit in a country where she is not legally resident? She has lived in Greece for 18 years, but no proof for that.