ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR, Childs passport and benefits

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pahini

ILR, Childs passport and benefits

Post by pahini » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

I need some guidance on following :

[1] ILR and benefits :

Am i eligible to apply for benefits ? We got out ILR on 22/8/09, with two dependents my wife and my daughter age 9 months.

If yes, then can someone please forward me link / information for how to claim child benefit, housing benefit, etc...

is it true that we r not allow to claim any benefit till v get our british passport? or v can claim benefit after getting ILR?
========================================

[2] Passport for my daughter born here in dec 08,

What is the procedure for getting british passport for my daughter?
We have indefinite leave to remain stamped in all three passports , mine, my wife and my daughters passport. ( indian passport)

which form do i need to fill out? where to send the form? what is the fees for the application for british passport for my daughter?
I read somewhere in the forum post that if any of the parents got their ILR than we can apply for my daughters british passport? is this correct or we have to wait for our british passport / naturalisation which will be one year after ILR date?? please clarify.

In short, procedure for applying british passport for my daughter, and links / information on LIFE AFTER ILR / PERMANENT RESIDENCY FOR UK, would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Pahini
Last edited by pahini on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:32 pm

Carer allowance?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:42 am

Yes you can apply for benefits for your child now.

Mainly three benefits you can apply for your child
-child benefit
-child tax credit
-child trust fund
go to your nearest tax office with your and you wife's (if she works) P60 and recent payslips. they will work out for you. Other benefits like housing etc etc are all means tested. therefore tax office would be able to work it out for you. child tax credit includes cost for carer, but that also tax office would be able to advise you.

Yes you can apply for your daughter's BC now under section 1(3). You need to apply to register her as british citizen by completing MN1 form. See the link below

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=40944

pahini

Post by pahini » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks raj,

one more question, after getting british passport for my daughter, do i need to surrender her indian passport? or

wether we have to apply for her indian visa as we are travelling back to india for holidays in december.

We can wait upto december and can apply later but just asking.!!

I will surely visit local hmrc office and will post my reply

thanks once again...

i will get back to you in case i need any help for form MN1.

taliska

Post by taliska » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Here are the links you need, you will need to open the guides and form. This first link is for the child
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... shcitizen/

This is the link for you and your wife
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... alisation/

You will only be able to apply for your childs citizenship when you are applying for yours as she was born before you got settlement(also known as Indefinite Leave to remain - ILR)
You would have to wait for another year

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:01 pm

taliska wrote:You will only be able to apply for your childs citizenship when you are applying for yours as she was born before you got settlement(also known as Indefinite Leave to remain - ILR)
You would have to wait for another year
If child was born in the UK, then no waiting is necessary.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

pahini

Post by pahini » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks Vinny...

Is it ok for me to apply for my child's british citizenship/passport now ?

or do i need to wait as mentioned by taliska???

i have gone through the links provided by vinny and happy to go ahead, but just want to double check with vinny once again ... is it ok for me to apply for my daughters BC??

John

Post by John » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:25 am

pahini, given that your child was born in the UK, and you now have ILR, a form MN1 can be completed and submitted now, so as to receive her Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen. Once that certificate is received you can then apply for a British passport for her.

The above-mentioned registration application .. there is an entitlement for it to be granted .... no UKBA discretion involved. And I think you may be very pleasantly surprised how quickly the registration application is dealt with ... possibly under one month. In short, if you apply soon, she could easily have her British passport well before the end of the year.

Have "fun" taking the required photos! That could be the trickiest part of the whole application process.
John

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:00 am

pahini,

Just to add, vinny is one of knowlegable person (if not the most) of this forum. Therefore have faith in him. Do as he said. Yes you can apply for your daughter's citizenshipn as prescibed by John. I followed the same process and am going to receice my son's British passport next week.

pahini

Post by pahini » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:35 am

Thank you raj john and specially vinny.

i dont have any doubts on his answers or capacity..

with full respect to everyone replied to me and not offending anyone, i will be applying for her BC next monday!!

Further to johns remark on trickiest part about photo, is it something which i request john / vinny / raj to put some focus on this... what is so special about that pls!!

can u guide me on this please,??

pahini

Post by pahini » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:38 am

Congratulations to Raj,

I have followed Vinny's guidance from the first time since i landed in 2005 and everytime it turned out as a big success for me.... so i would like to thank him, john and raj and all respectable senior members who replied to my queries and helped us