ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

settlement in UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

fawzyyy3

settlement in UK

Post by fawzyyy3 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi,
I am married to UK woman since 2005, i am living with her abroad and she is under my sponsor. I heard that i need to apply for ILE in the embassy for the country where i live, then apply for ILR will be provided once I entered UK. My questions are:-
1) is ILE & ILR are same, do i have to appreach home office to apply for ILR and stamp it in my passport.
2) any special requirements if there is a deferent between ILE & ILR?
3) once i got ILR stamped into my passport, how long i am entitled to be outside of UK to meet the UK passport requirement?
4) what requirement to apply for UK passport.

I did not get answer for above and no one is replying.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:39 am

1. Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE) and Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

2. To be eligible for ILE, you should have:

been married to the sponsor for at least four years and they have been living together outside the UK during that time; and

KOL

3. Can I be naturalised as a British citizen?

4. Passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:28 pm

vinny has provided all the important info redarding you question. you wont be issue ILE untill u pass the KOL test (ILE+ILR=SAME) i will suggest you come visit to the UK and pass the test and then apply your settlement hope you will granted ILE and like this you will save the money aswel if u dont pass the test b4 u apply you will issue settlement spouse visa with the requirment of KOL and then you need to pay again for ILR application and plus extra time. once u granted ILE you dont need to apply ILR.

fawzyyy3

KOL

Post by fawzyyy3 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi,
I read about KOL, i speak English properly although it is not my first language, so my quasions are:-
1) do I have to attend the ESOL courses to study?
2) Any separate exam for ESOL? or this included in Life in the UK test exams?

3) is practice 400 Q&A enough to read to answer the 24 test quations?

thanks

taliska

Post by taliska » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:53 pm

if you feel confident with your enflish you can do the life in the UK test. See the advice from the UKBA below:
â– If you speak English to a reasonable standard, you will need to pass the Life in the UK test.
â– If you are not an English speaker, you will need to take and pass an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) course which contains citizenship materials. To check your language ability, you should work through the tutorial on the Life in the UK test website. If you cannot fully understand the information in this tutorial, you may need to take a course in English and citizenship.
â– If you are the spouse or civil partner or unmarried/same sex partner of a permanent member of HM Diplomatic Service, a comparable UK-based staff member of the British Council on a tour of duty abroad or a staff member of the Department for International Development who is a British Citizen or is settled in the UK, a person designated by the Secretary of State may certify personally and in writing that you have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK and of the English language. This person will normally be the head of the post where they are based. The letter confirming this must be signed personally and endorsed with an official stamp. The original letter should be submitted, not a copy.

fawzyyy3

KOL

Post by fawzyyy3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:52 am

Hi,
So I just need to do Life in UK test exam ? i mean when applying for ILR i just need to submit Life in UK test result paper ?

thanks

taliska

Post by taliska » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:17 am

as well as all the other dociments relevant to you ILR application type, but yes you do have to pass the life in the UK test before you can apply for ILR or else the application will be refused

fawzyyy3

KOL

Post by fawzyyy3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:00 am

I will travel to London to attend the KOL exam before submitting my application of ILR in UK embassy, my question is:-
1) will the embassy stamp ILR or ILE in my passport while i am in Dubai?

thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:27 am

If you have followed Vinny's link, you'll see that ILE and ILR are in effect one and the same. ILR is issued outside of the UK, and ILR when applied for from within the UK. If you have passed the KOL test prior to applying in Dubai you will issued with ILE. The KOL test isn't an English language test as such...it's a test of your knowledge of life in the UK...facts/figures/statistics/social history/customs/law and politics. Really useful facts that everyone resident in the UK needs to know...'What is a Quango' for example! :roll: It would be misleading to give you any guideance for Nationality as the regulations are about to change, with a longer route to Citizenship and conditions attached.
Have a read of the Citizens Bill on the UKBA website.

fawzyyy3

regulators change

Post by fawzyyy3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks casa, so It is better for me to go ahead and apply for ILR before this big changes? do you know what is the changes will be?

thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:46 am

You'll be applying for ILE from Dubai, and better to do this ASAP. Qualifying times for Nationality are due to be extended and ILR will be replaced with a Probationary Citizens visa.
Very detailed and complex regulations, which is why I suggested you have a look at the new bill on the the uKBA website.

fawzyyy3

regulators change

Post by fawzyyy3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 pm

When do you think the new rule will take place?
Do u advice me to travel to UK and get KOL first or applying for ILE in Dubai & then travel to UK for KOL and get ILR?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:27 pm

July 2011 for the earned Citizens part of the bill. If you have the time, I would visit the UK ASAP, take the test and then apply for ILE from Dubai.
It will save you the added cost of applying for ILR from within the UK.
This is currently £1020 if applied for in person!

fawzyyy3

regulators change

Post by fawzyyy3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:43 pm

sorry to disturbe you casa, i will visit UK on november, i have 1 question more, if I fail the KOL first time, can i sit the second day for the test again?

fawzyyy3

KOL

Post by fawzyyy3 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 am

sorry to disturbe you casa, i will visit UK on november, i have 1 question more, if I fail the KOL first time, can i sit the second day for the test again?

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:29 am

You're not disturbing me. :)
If you fail the first time you can sit the test again, but I believe most test centres ask you to leave a week in between. You can go to any test centre by the way. Some get booked further ahead than others.
Buy the study books and cover chapters 2-6. You'll need to answer 18 out of the 24 multiple choice questions to pass.
Good luck.

fawzyyy3

ILR

Post by fawzyyy3 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:05 am

thanks casa,. I am going to UK on november, and apply for ILE/ILR in DUbai once i returned back with pass KOL. I am planning to migrate on April 2010 since my work contract in dubai is over, my questions:-
1) do I have to rent the accommodation before I apply for ILE/ILR in embassy? I will lose 4 months rent right?
2) Is my wife required to be with me when I submit for ILE/ILR? she is planning to spend Eid Holiday with her family in original country as the holiday is so long.

please let me know

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:17 pm

You need to have suitable accomodation available on your arrival to settle in the UK. This could be with family or friends as long as the accomodation is adequate (not overcrowded). You'll haveto give details of the accomodation in your application as it's a condition of the visa.
You wife doesn't have to be present when you submit your application.

fawzyyy3

settelement

Post by fawzyyy3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 am

Thanks again Casa, After getting ILR stamped in my passport, i heard that i need to wait inside UK for 3 years then to apply for UK citizen is thats right?

. Also my ILR condition should my wife live with me in UK all the time, however my wife might need to travel to another countries as she is doctor working on humanitarian mission, so how this will work?

thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Under present regulations the qualifying period for BC is 3 years, but this is due to be extended within the new regulations. Probably 4, which could be reduced if you take part in voluntary charity/community projects.
Not sure how this will be monitored. :roll:
Your wife will be able to travel outside of the UK but would need to submit her passport to support your British Citizenship application if you apply as her spouse.

fawzyyy3

ILR

Post by fawzyyy3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:06 am

thanks casa,
is my ILR will be valid if me & wife got separated (devorced)? i have friends have been in this situation. Also will i be entitled to get UK citizenship?

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 am

If you divorce you wouldn't lose your ILR but you would qualify for British Citizenship in 5 years not 3. That's under present regulations..even longer under the new bill.

fawzyyy3

ILR

Post by fawzyyy3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:58 pm

can i give my documents to reliable agents to proceed rather than going to embassy directly? do you have any good agent for this? i will pay for their work.

thanks