ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No surname - NHS registration and school admission

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mrajkumar
India

No surname - NHS registration and school admission

Post by mrajkumar » Fri May 20, 2011 4:54 am

my son's passport also doesnt have a surname. I have learnt that it shudnt be a problem in getting visa but would like to know about NHS registration and School admission without surname in the passport.

In UK for NHS registration Surname is a manadatory information. I am worried if I can register my son with NHS without a surname in his passport. Or if this would be a problem in school admission. Please advise

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am

just having one name will be a big headache for your poor child everywhere he goes he will have to explain why he is different . Do think carefully before giving just one name , remember he wants fit in and this will not help in all areas . Those folk with one name I am sure will allude to this .
pennyless

light_tunnel

Re: No surname - NHS registration and school admission

Post by light_tunnel » Sun May 29, 2011 11:26 am

mrajkumar wrote:my son's passport also doesnt have a surname. I have learnt that it shudnt be a problem in getting visa but would like to know about NHS registration and School admission without surname in the passport.

In UK for NHS registration Surname is a manadatory information. I am worried if I can register my son with NHS without a surname in his passport. Or if this would be a problem in school admission. Please advise
I too do not have a SurName in the PP, however my First Name is made up of two words and the second word was used as a SurName for registering with the NHS

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:

Post by slugmeister » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am

Just out of curiosity (and I know other people are wondering) -- in what circumstance would someone NOT have a surname?

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Different cultures have different ways of naming people, not everyone operates the same.

Refer to: Names in world cultures which explains how this differs between cultures and nations. Surnames are not used everyone, in other countries people used last names instead or nothing. There are various different reasons for this, but is mostly a cultural thing.

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:

Post by slugmeister » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Let me rephrase that--

In what circumstance would an immigrant coming to the UK, or any other country using last names as the accepted convention, not have a last name?

I understand there are cultural differences in the country of origin, but really is it wise once you're here in the UK not to have a surname?

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:11 pm

What would you change your name to Slugmeister if you went to live in China for example in order to 'fit in'?

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:

Post by slugmeister » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Casa wrote:What would you change your name to Slugmeister if you went to live in China for example in order to 'fit in'?
I wouldn't mind. If it were the accepted convention in that country then why not?

When in Rome...

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:27 pm

And change the name in your passport and on all legal documents...and if you move back to the UK, revert to your original name to fit back in again? Do you see my point?

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:

Post by slugmeister » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Casa wrote:And change the name in your passport and on all legal documents...and if you move back to the UK, revert to your original name to fit back in again? Do you see my point?
If I were to stay in China long enough to to be granted a Chinese passport, yes I would change my name in the Chinese passport and leave my original documents alone.

It's one of the very basic things that one can do towards assimilation.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:46 pm

It's not the accepted convention in Britain to change your name. It's an old colonial way of doing things and enforcing your culture, language and ways upon others.

It is the British way to accept people for their differences, not try and fit everyone in the same mould.

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:

Post by slugmeister » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm

mulderpf wrote:It's not the accepted convention in Britain to change your name. It's an old colonial way of doing things and enforcing your culture, language and ways upon others.

It is the British way to accept people for their differences, not try and fit everyone in the same mould.
It is the accepted convention to have a first name and a last name in English-speaking countries.

I think you would have complications living here in the UK without a surname.

If you can get away with not having a surname, then best of luck to you.

I wonder how many single-named people have successfully applied for a mortgage?

hectorthebat
Newly Registered

Post by hectorthebat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:42 am

Just send a photocopy of the biodata page of his passport with all applications, and a covering letter. Let them sort out how they want to record his details. It's sometimes recorded as NFN (No First Name), NMN (No Middle Name) or NLN (No Last Name), but leave it to them. You don't want your son's school record down as John NLN! They may also just double the first name, or split it, as a poster above said.