ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Was police registration always required for Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)? (Urgent)

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zfish
Newly Registered

Was police registration always required for Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)? (Urgent)

Post by zfish » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:30 pm

Hi,
I'm about to submit my ILR documents next week, and a mandatory one is the police registration certificate. I still have it from back when arrived to the UK under a tier 2 visa, but back in 2019 I changed to Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent), and after that moved to a new address. I didn't update these changes with the police (OVRO), assuming Tier 1 ET doesn't require police registration. I don't believe I received a letter suggesting otherwise when my visa was confirmed (I would have noticed and done that). However, seeing some people here are saying they were required to register I started panicking, and tried to set up an appointment at OVRO (next available is June 2023!).
Is there a chance I really didn't need to register back then? Any way out of it otherwise??

Thanks!

vinny

Re: Was police registration always required for Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)? (Urgent)

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:09 am

I think you needed to register and update your details with the police. I doubt that switching to Tier 1 would have exempted you. At the very least, update your details online and explain about the unavailability of appointments until 2023?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zfish
Newly Registered

Re: Was police registration always required for Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)? (Urgent)

Post by zfish » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:30 am

Thanks!
An appointment at OVRO seems completely out of my reach. Even when setting a distant 2023 one, the confirmation email clearly states that in case the visa application was made in the uk, it is mandatory to bring the letter from the HO saying I need to register (but I never received such a letter!)
Trying to decide which is a better argument - the lack of clarity about the need to register or the lack of appointments. Anyone has experience with applying with an out of date PRC?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:04 am

If they had previously required you to register under Tier 2, then I doubt that switching to Tier 1 would have exempted you from a requirement to update your Police registration records.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

ywlgy

Post by ywlgy » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:12 pm

The decision email should have a paragraph saying you need to register.

What you need to do now:

Get the address on it updated at any police station. Book an appointment with OVRO. Upload the certificate, appointment letter and a cover letter admitting mistake, then wish they show some mercy :D
Some have got away with it by doing this.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:03 am

Tier 1 holders are not exempted from registering with the police under Part 10.

If they had already given you a notice to register under Tier 2, then you should have already registered with the police. If you had already registered, then they probably didn’t expect you to register again after switching to Tier 1. But I think they just expected that you update your police records each time when your circumstances changes. If your circumstances had changed such that you are no longer required to update your police records, then they would probably give you another notice saying so.

zfish
Newly Registered

Post by zfish » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:01 am

Thank you all!
I guess I'll just have to explain what happened, trying to decide between a very brief statement (eg "My registration is not up-to-date, booked an appointment mid 2023, can't be earlier due to ORVO backlog"), or a lengthier detailed one, explaining I updated my address at UKVI erroneously thinking it's equivalent, realised now, booked an appointment etc.

ywlgy, what do you mean by "get the address updated in any police station"? Is that possible?

ywlgy

Post by ywlgy » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:57 pm

zfish wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:01 am
Thank you all!
I guess I'll just have to explain what happened, trying to decide between a very brief statement (eg "My registration is not up-to-date, booked an appointment mid 2023, can't be earlier due to ORVO backlog"), or a lengthier detailed one, explaining I updated my address at UKVI erroneously thinking it's equivalent, realised now, booked an appointment etc.

ywlgy, what do you mean by "get the address updated in any police station"? Is that possible?
Ops sry, just checked Met Pol website and this is not an option in London. This is possible in my area though.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.