ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant extension from outside of the UK?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

richardk8
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Dependant extension from outside of the UK?

Post by richardk8 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:10 pm

Hello,

I first got a T2 general visa in 2018 and my wife got a T2 dependent in 2018. Since then I changed sponsors in 2022 and my wife remained on the same dependent visa that was issued in 2018.

She does not meet requirements for IDR so now I need to extend her.
The gov.uk page is a bit confusing, it suggests that extensions can only be done from within the UK. But could also mean that if applying from within the UK, you can only extend.

So my question is, can she just use the "new application" route and apply from for the extension from outside of the uk?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Dependant extension from outside of the UK?

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:14 pm

If you are applying for ILR (as indicated by a previous post you made) and hoping to extend her visa at the same time, she must apply within the UK to extend her current visa category. Applying form outside the UK while you apply for ILR or once granted ILR, will complicate matters a lot.

Applying to extend her visa now would only give her a visa valid till your visa expiry date. It is unclear from your post when you wish to make an PBS dependent application.

Extension is an application within the UK. Applications from abroad are new Entry Clearance visas.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

richardk8
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by richardk8 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:33 pm

I am planning to apply for ILR prior to applying for her extension. If all goes well, I should receive a decision before the expiry date of her visa.

She is not in the UK at the moment and we weren't planning for her to return until after her current visa expires.

In this situation would you say it would be best for her to return prior to her visa expiring and then applying for the extension from within?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:38 pm

She is not in the UK at the moment and we weren't planning for her to return until after her current visa expires.

In this situation would you say it would be best for her to return prior to her visa expiring and then applying for the extension from within?
Yes absolutely. Once you are granted ILR and if she is outside the UK, she cannot apply for a PBS Dependent visa and would have to apply for the more onerous and expensive Spouse of a Settled Person visa, which starts her 5 year ILR clock again from scratch.

The ability to extend a PBS Dependent visa once the main PBS migrant is granted ILR only applies to extension applications made within the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

richardk8
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by richardk8 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. We'll re-arrange our plans for her to return prior to her visa expiring.

I've been posting questions here for 5+ years, you and others on this forum have been a very important resource for me. Thanks again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. We'll re-arrange our plans for her to return prior to her visa expiring.
Best to do this to keep things as uncomplicated as possible.
I've been posting questions here for 5+ years, you and others on this forum have been a very important resource for me. Thanks again.
We are always happy to help our members. Any further queries, just ask :-)
Char (CR001 not Casa)