ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Refund - PBS Skill - Change of Employer

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

firefreezer
Newly Registered
India

ILR Refund - PBS Skill - Change of Employer

Post by firefreezer » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:17 pm

Hi

I was on a 3 year VISA (3year of IHS paid by myself) and after less than 2 years i have changed jobs and i have received a new 3 years VISA from my new employer where i have again paid 3 years of IHS.

Am i eligible to ask for the refund of the last 1 year of IHS cost paid during my first visa application?

the Gov.uk guidance states the below and i think #2 applies and i am not eligible?

You will not get a refund if:
  • your visa application is successful but you do not come to the UK
  • you leave the UK before your visa ends, for example to make a new application
  • you’re told to leave the UK before your visa expires
  • you’re applying for indefinite leave to remain

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: ILR Refund - PBS Skill - Change of Employer

Post by lolo2 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:31 am

That option applies to you if you left the UK to make the new application, did you do that?

If you made the process in the UK you might be eligible for a partial refund pro-rata of the remaining time in the previous leave.

You don't need to ask for that refund, that's an automatic process if you are eligible. It takes several weeks to get the money.

The same UK Gov website you visited gives info about partial refunds.

firefreezer
Newly Registered
India

Post by firefreezer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:13 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:31 am
That option applies to you if you left the UK to make the new application, did you do that?

If you made the process in the UK you might be eligible for a partial refund pro-rata of the remaining time in the previous leave.

You don't need to ask for that refund, that's an automatic process if you are eligible. It takes several weeks to get the money.

The same UK Gov website you visited gives info about partial refunds.
Thanks lolo. I did not leave the UK and it has been more than 1 year since the above happened. Should i contact HMRC about it?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:29 pm

Also see this thread that discusses this question. There is a difference of opinion on this question.

Perhaps you could raise an FoI request asking for guidance on this topic, in general terms (i.e. without mentioning your specific circumstances, which will take it out of the remit of FoI), as suggested in my last post in that thread.
firefreezer wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:13 pm
Should i contact HMRC about it?
Why HMRC? HMRC (the tax authorities) has nothing to do with the Immigration Health Surcharge, which is collected by the Home Office and passed onto the Department of Health, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.