ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from Student dependent to Skilled Worker dependent.

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rajuksh
Newly Registered
India

Switch from Student dependent to Skilled Worker dependent.

Post by rajuksh » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:39 pm

I am currently a full time PhD student on a Tier 4 VISA. I have my wife and children living with me in the UK as PBS dependents. We all have our VISA’s valid till end of 2024.

Now I have got a job (CoS) and planning to switch to Skilled worker VISA. My application shall be processed by my employer and I will need to take care of my family VISAs.

I have below queries:
1. Do my wife and children (aged 16 & 12) have to switch to Skilled worker dependent VISAs along with me?
2. If they continue to stay on their current student dependent VISA (for 2 years), and switch only before its expiry (for 3 years), do their stay still be counted for the 5-year ILR requirement?
3. If they have to switch along with me, can I claim the IHS amount paid for the present VISAs?

Appreciate any help with getting these queries clarified.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Switch from Student dependent to Skilled Worker dependent.

Post by sah10406 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:39 pm

rajuksh wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:39 pm
1. Do my wife and children (aged 16 & 12) have to switch to Skilled worker dependent VISAs along with me?
No.
rajuksh wrote:
2. If they continue to stay on their current student dependent VISA (for 2 years), and switch only before its expiry (for 3 years), do their stay still be counted for the 5-year ILR requirement?
Yes. See Appendix Skilled Worker, paragraphs SW 39.1 to SW 39.4.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... led-worker
rajuksh wrote:
3. If they have to switch along with me, can I claim the IHS amount paid for the present VISAs?
If they do that, yes but obviously only in respect of any overlapping period not the whole payment.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

rajuksh
Newly Registered
India

Post by rajuksh » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:32 pm

Thanks very much @sah10406

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:11 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:39 pm
rajuksh wrote:
If they do that, yes but obviously only in respect of any overlapping period not the whole payment.
I don't think there would be an IHS refund in this circumstance.

Also see this very similar thread.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:02 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:11 pm
sah10406 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:39 pm
rajuksh wrote:
I don't think there would be an IHS refund in this circumstance.

Also see this very similar thread.
I disagree, but it doesn't matter because they don't need to make any immigration application anyway.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:29 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:02 am
I disagree
I am intrigued to know the reason for your disagreement. Can you elaborate?

I did a search on this site and on Whatdoytheyknow and could not find anything to make me change my mind. Indeed, I found an answer on the latter site that backed my argument, though it is both dated (from 2016) and in relation to refund of ILR if a visa is curtailed rather than if the visa is switched to another visa.
It would be complex and administratively difficult to set up a system whereby the surcharge was refunded on a pro rata basis. Refunds on such a basis would need to take into account, for example, whether the migrant had made use of NHS services during their stay and the Home Office does not have access to such information.
Linking the surcharge paid to the length of leave granted ensures a simple calculation, clarity for migrants and certainty for the NHS in terms of income received.
Note that I am not agreeing with the logic advanced, merely that that is the logic used by the Home Office and therefore why I think a refund is not payable if a person switches visas while holding a still valid visa.

I am open to being convinced otherwise if presented with other government or legal documents or successful cases that contradict the above.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:20 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:29 pm
sah10406 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:02 am
I disagree
I am intrigued to know the reason for your disagreement. Can you elaborate?
It's how it has always worked since the IHS was introduced in 2015. Presumably it is connected to the first listed reason at gov.uk about when a refund is due {"you paid twice"), and presumably it is the most common reason other than rejections and refusals.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... on/refunds

The only way to "pay twice" is to pay again in respect of a period you have already paid for.

Where the gov.uk page says "full ... refund" that appears to be sloppy wording, as only the overlapping period is refunded, and only in blocks of six months.

A partial refund is routinely issued for such overlapping applications, although it can take a while. The problem is that applicants often think the discount can just be offset against the new IHS payment, rather than issued as a refund later, which it cannot.

I do have correspondence with the Home Office Premium Customer Service Team from 13 July 2016 when there were queries about this matter of "paying twice" in respect of overlapping Student (then Tier 4) applications. The principle is the same for any overlapping applications. I don't have permission to publish it in full, but it says in part:

We can refund where a 2nd IHS payment is made and the 2nd payment overlaps their 1st IHS payment (in blocks on six months only);

[...]

[NOTE: This specific example they give below is poor, because in this case the new application would need to be made outside the UK (because they didn't complete their course), and hence a refund would not be due for that reason alone. However the principle is clear. A more realistic example would be a Student who ends their course a year or even two years early and applies to join a new course, or who switches to Skilled worker part way through their course].

Example: Student applies for a 4 year course and pays the IHS fees for that. They withdraw from the course during year 1 for whatever reason. They apply for a visa to return at the start of what would have been year 2 but starting from year 1 again and have paid the IHS fee for four years again. The first year would not be refunded [...]. However, years 2-4 of their IHS fees paid as part of their first application would be covered/doubled up by years 1-3 of their 2nd application/IHS payment. Therefore, as part of their 2nd application, we would look to refund periods of six months or more where the IHS fee has been paid twice for the same period of leave. The caseworker should consider issuing a refund as part of the 2nd application and in this example a refund would be due. In this example they would pay for 5 years of IHS fees (8 years would be paid for up front as part of each of the two applications but 3 years worth would be refunded on their 2nd application).

[...]

I have checked this with the IHS team to be sure and they have confirmed that this is correct. [...] The caseworker that considers the 2nd application should take the necessary refund action for duplicate periods of IHS payment. I would also emphasize that students must always pay the full amount each time they apply even if we will later refund the fee (but only as part of a 2nd application).

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:25 pm

@sah10406, as you are unable to publish the correspondence for various reasons, and as it is, like my reference, more than five years old, perhaps you could file an FoI request (maybe through the Whatdotheyknow website) asking for details of the policy guidance for IHS refunds, specifically when there is an overlap of periods of visas, both of the same type (eg. Skilled Worker to Skilled Worker) and of different types (eg. Student to Skilled Worker).

Also see this thread that asks pretty much the same question.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:21 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:25 pm
@sah10406, as you are unable to publish the correspondence for various reasons, and as it is, like my reference, more than five years old, perhaps you could file an FoI request (maybe through the Whatdotheyknow website) asking for details of the policy guidance for IHS refunds, specifically when there is an overlap of periods of visas, both of the same type (eg. Skilled Worker to Skilled Worker) and of different types (eg. Student to Skilled Worker).
I have no need or reason to do that, although of course you are welcome to make your own request if you wish.

In my experience any IHS refunds for overlapping periods of permission are routinely processed as per the redacted Home Office email I have quoted. Nothing has changed in that regard in the 8 years since the IHS was launched. This is simply not a problem or issue for applicants who I work with. The only related issues are managing the expectations of applicants who think the refund can be offset against the new IHS payment, or who become impatient when their refund is not instantaneous.

rajuksh
Newly Registered
India

Post by rajuksh » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:00 pm

Thank you @sah10406 and @secret.simon for your comments and guidance.

I would like to provide a latest update on my case, so that it can be helpful to the discussion.

As informed in my original post, I was in the process of switching from a 'Student' visa to 'Skilled Worker' visa. My application has now been approved and have received 'Skilled Worker' visa.

My student VISA was from valid for 4 years (Jan 2021 till Feb 2025), for which I had paid IHS fee. My new VISA is valid from Jan 2023 till Feb 2028, and I have paid IHS fee for the fresh 5-year period. I have been refunded automatically (without needing to make any additional request) the IHS fee for the overlapping period Jan 2023 till Feb 2025. Received refund within two days of the date of decision.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:19 pm

rajuksh wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:00 pm
Thank you @sah10406 and @secret.simon for your comments and guidance.

I would like to provide a latest update on my case, so that it can be helpful to the discussion.

As informed in my original post, I was in the process of switching from a 'Student' visa to 'Skilled Worker' visa. My application has now been approved and have received 'Skilled Worker' visa.

My student VISA was from valid for 4 years (Jan 2021 till Feb 2025), for which I had paid IHS fee. My new VISA is valid from Jan 2023 till Feb 2028, and I have paid IHS fee for the fresh 5-year period. I have been refunded automatically (without needing to make any additional request) the IHS fee for the overlapping period Jan 2023 till Feb 2025. Received refund within two days of the date of decision.
Congratulations

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:36 am

rajuksh wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:00 pm
I have been refunded automatically (without needing to make any additional request) the IHS fee for the overlapping period Jan 2023 till Feb 2025. Received refund within two days of the date of decision.
Thanks for updating. This is exactly my experience when advising on many such "overlapping" applications since the IHS was introduced in 2015.

I can't say why @secret.simon has had different experiences with no refund, perhaps bad luck with incompetent caseworkers, but I hope they were followed up and the refunds granted.

I think this must resolve the query to everyone's satisfaction, so perhaps the topic can be closed?

rajuksh
Newly Registered
India

Post by rajuksh » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:18 pm

I Agree. Thanks again.

depp2883
Newly Registered
Mood:
Turkey

Post by depp2883 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:52 pm

@rajuksh

How long did it take to get your refund? I am in the same situation, I changed my employer and there is an overlapped payment for IHS. 8 weeks passed but no refund yet.

Thanks for your reply.
Cheers