ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

*** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 5925
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by marcnath » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:40 pm

wanttostayintheuk wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:36 pm
I understand we can furlough employees, and that these months will not count towards the 12 month total required; I also understand they will extend our visas so that we may finish the 12 months required. However, I am still wondering: how will these 'lost months' where we have furloughed our employees factor into ILR? Will they not be counted towards the end total? I am working towards a 10 year long residence, but I assume the answer will apply to both the ten year and five year routes.
Job requirements have no impact on Long Residence ILR
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

wanttostayintheuk
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:32 pm
United States of America

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by wanttostayintheuk » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Thanks guys, I guess I just wanted to make sure that the months where employees were being furloughed would not be 'discounted' towards ILR - almost as if they didn't happen. But it sounds like you are saying that for Long Residence ILR, as long a I had a continuous 10 years legal stay etc - it will all be counted?

User avatar
Zimba
Moderator
Posts: 13285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: UK
Mood:

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Zimba » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:00 pm

wanttostayintheuk wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:45 pm
Thanks guys, I guess I just wanted to make sure that the months where employees were being furloughed would not be 'discounted' towards ILR - almost as if they didn't happen. But it sounds like you are saying that for Long Residence ILR, as long a I had a continuous 10 years legal stay etc - it will all be counted?
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ what has been posted BEFORE in this thread :!:

uk-tier-1-entrepreneur-visas/impact-due ... l#p1893738

SET(LR) has nothing to do with Tier 1E rules or requirements
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

wanttostayintheuk
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:32 pm
United States of America

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by wanttostayintheuk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:57 am

Hi guys, thanks for the info. Something I’m still unclear on having read previous posts - if we are furloughing employers, can the 80 percent pay we give them fall below the normal minimum wage? Since these months are not being counted towards the 12 month total, it seems like a furloughed employee getting 80 percent of their usual pay would not have to be paid a full minimum wage during this time. Thoughts?

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 5925
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by marcnath » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16 pm

wanttostayintheuk wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:57 am
Hi guys, thanks for the info. Something I’m still unclear on having read previous posts - if we are furloughing employers, can the 80 percent pay we give them fall below the normal minimum wage? Since these months are not being counted towards the 12 month total, it seems like a furloughed employee getting 80 percent of their usual pay would not have to be paid a full minimum wage during this time. Thoughts?
No, you can't. Employment law is still applicable and applies to all furloughed employees
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

wanttostayintheuk
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:32 pm
United States of America

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by wanttostayintheuk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Marcnath, I have done some research and apparently employment law dictates that if 80% of pay takes an employee below minimum wage, this is fine. The only question is whether that rule still applies in terms of the visa.

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 5925
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by marcnath » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:50 pm

wanttostayintheuk wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm
Marcnath, I have done some research and apparently employment law dictates that if 80% of pay takes an employee below minimum wage, this is fine. The only question is whether that rule still applies in terms of the visa.
ok. I was given a contradictory information in a webinar I attended. But you may be right as long as the employees are not doing anything related to the business like training, etc. And you would need to take professional advice, but I assume that would be the same if the employee is on holiday.

Your visa conditions only states that you have to be in line with employment law at all times. So, if the law allows it, then there should be no issue
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

User avatar
Zimba
Moderator
Posts: 13285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: UK
Mood:

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Zimba » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:50 pm

wanttostayintheuk wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm
Marcnath, I have done some research and apparently employment law dictates that if 80% of pay takes an employee below minimum wage, this is fine. The only question is whether that rule still applies in terms of the visa.
It is NOT 80% of pay.
uk-tier-1-entrepreneur-visas/impact-due ... l#p1892176
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Anontier20
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Afghanistan

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Anontier20 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Hello,

Any thoughts on the govt backed 100% small business loan and if it's ok to apply for it and speculation on Home Office reaction to this? And any idea where one applies and how for this? TIA

User avatar
Zimba
Moderator
Posts: 13285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: UK
Mood:

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Zimba » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Anontier20 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:01 pm
Hello,

Any thoughts on the govt backed 100% small business loan and if it's ok to apply for it and speculation on Home Office reaction to this? And any idea where one applies and how for this? TIA
That has nothing to do with immigration. Any business can apply for these.
https://www.businesssupport.gov.uk/
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Anontier20
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Afghanistan

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Anontier20 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Great!

iocam
Newly Registered
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 am
Mood:
Vietnam

Re: *** COVID19 and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by iocam » Fri May 01, 2020 11:57 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:49 am
Zimba wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:49 am
We shall see what UKVI will say on this. Just note that business grants are based on the circumstances of the people who run these businesses. Your immigration status may not be an issue as per rules but from a lender's point of view, you could be viewed as very high risk. What if they give you a grant and then you simply get up and leave ?! Business loans/grants are still subject to risk evaluation so your immigration status may play a role.
Updated guidance.

http://www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/Documents ... tsheet.pdf

Bottom part page 7

5 Assistance for people who lose employment
The Government has announced a series of measures to help people who have are unable to work due to contracting coronavirus or having to self-isolate, or who have lost their employment or closed a business due to coronavirus. The following assistance can be claimed by a person who has no recourse to public funds (NRPF) when they meet the relevant requirements because none are considered to be ‘public funds’ for immigration purposes:

 Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
 Contributory-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
 Wages paid through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (‘furloughed workers’)
 Assistance for businesses and people who are self-employed, as outlined in this government guidance
 Benefits that are listed here (under ‘work related benefits’) -> http://www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/informati ... x#benefits

The following assistance cannot be claimed by a person who has no recourse to public funds (NRPF) because they are public funds for immigration purposes:
 Universal Credit
 Benefits on this list -> http://www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/informati ... funds.aspx
Updated guidance NRPF

5 Assistance for people who lose employment
The Government has announced a series of measures to help people who are unable to
work due to contracting coronavirus or having to self-isolate, or who have lost their
employment or closed a business due to coronavirus.
The following types of assistance are not ‘public funds’ for immigration purposes and can be
claimed by a person who has no recourse to public funds when they meet the relevant
requirements:
 Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
 ‘New style’ or contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
 ‘New style’ or contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
 Wages paid through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (‘furloughed workers’)
 Coronavirus Self-employment Income Support Scheme
 Other work-related benefits that are listed here

The following types of assistance are ‘public funds’ for immigration purposes and cannot be
claimed by a person who has no recourse to public funds:
 Universal Credit
 Other benefits on this list

So they cut the wording  Assistance for businesses and updated self-employment scheme. I am curious a bit. So they have all assiatnace to "person" as okay. But assistance to "business" is not mentioned. Does it mean they change in term of £10,000 grant ???

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 5925
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by marcnath » Fri May 01, 2020 1:22 pm

This has been repeated a number of times - the Visa is not granted to your business. It is granted to a "person". So there no immigration rules for businesses and so no impact.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

User avatar
Zimba
Moderator
Posts: 13285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: UK
Mood:

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Zimba » Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Also must add that any loan or assistance you get for your business CANNOT be counted as amount invested in the business. :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Anontier20
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Afghanistan

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Anontier20 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Great!

I was thinking as a director if I get furloughed, but staff are to carry on as in normal, as they have more work to do than I do, as I normally look after sales and business development, which is currently not happening, would this be suspicious to HMRC and Home office? Please note I have not taken any dividends from the business either so was on £700 pcm. Thoughts?

Anontier20
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Afghanistan

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Anontier20 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 pm

Zimba wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm
Also must add that any loan or assistance you get for your business CANNOT be counted as amount invested in the business. :!:
Would this be more relevant to the those at the start of the Tier 1 journey, as opposed to pre-ILR?
On the back of this, I wanted to ask, if a business did take a loan to help cover cashflow in light of lack of revenue due to the lockdown, would that just be noted as additional funds in the accounts for H/O as opposed to initial investment money? In essence regardless of the value it's still debt that the company takes on so the question is if directly impacts the points checklist?

User avatar
Zimba
Moderator
Posts: 13285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: UK
Mood:

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Zimba » Sun May 03, 2020 11:47 pm

Anontier20 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 pm
Zimba wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm
Also must add that any loan or assistance you get for your business CANNOT be counted as amount invested in the business. :!:
Would this be more relevant to the those at the start of the Tier 1 journey, as opposed to pre-ILR?
On the back of this, I wanted to ask, if a business did take a loan to help cover cashflow in light of lack of revenue due to the lockdown, would that just be noted as additional funds in the accounts for H/O as opposed to initial investment money? In essence regardless of the value it's still debt that the company takes on so the question is if directly impacts the points checklist?
I was being very explicit that you cannot use it to score points towards investment :!: :!: That is all.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Anontier20
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Afghanistan

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Anontier20 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:42 pm

I should have clarified, I am pre-ILR, so have already shown them the £50k investment documents in previous applications. I meant in terms of the small business bounce back loan, would that be an issue?

Anontier20
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm
Afghanistan

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Anontier20 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:47 pm

Anontier20 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:47 pm
Great!

I was thinking as a director if I get furloughed, but staff are to carry on as in normal, as they have more work to do than I do, as I normally look after sales and business development, which is currently not happening, would this be suspicious to HMRC and Home office? Please note I have not taken any dividends from the business either so was on £700 pcm. Thoughts?
Please can I get comments/ feedback for this inquiry? TIA.

User avatar
Zimba
Moderator
Posts: 13285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: UK
Mood:

Re: *** COVID19 Tier 1E impact and Government support *** Discuss here ONLY

Post by Zimba » Tue May 05, 2020 12:27 am

Anontier20 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:42 pm
I should have clarified, I am pre-ILR, so have already shown them the £50k investment documents in previous applications. I meant in terms of the small business bounce back loan, would that be an issue?
You do not need to prove investments again.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Post Reply
cron