ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR eligibility for PBS dependant partner - time spent on other categories counts towards 5 year living together period?

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

beat23242
Newly Registered
India

ILR eligibility for PBS dependant partner - time spent on other categories counts towards 5 year living together period?

Post by beat23242 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi,

I am currently on a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa and will be eligible for ILR in October 2020. I want to know if my partner will also be eligible for ILR at the same time.

My partner has been on a PBS dependant visa since October 2019 (will complete 1 year in Oct 2020), before this she was on her own Tier 4 General Visa since August 2015 (for 4 years 2 months). We have been living together in the UK since August 2015 (a total of 5 years 2 months).

Based on the current Home Office website rules, it looks like she will be eligible for ILR in October 2020:
" * Your current visa must be as a dependant on your partner’s tier 1, 2 or 5 visa.
* You must also have been living with your partner in the UK for at least:
** 5 years if you applied for your current visa on or after 9 July 2012 "

I was previously under the impression she will need to complete 5 years wholly on a PBS dependent visa. But if I understand correctly, it looks like she only needs to be on a PBS dependent visa at the time of application and that the 5 years of living with me in the UK can have been on any category (her own Tier 4 visa in this case).

Please could you confirm if my understanding of the rules is correct?

Thanks!
beat23242

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR eligibility for PBS dependant partner - time spent on other categories counts towards 5 year living together per

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:50 pm

She needs 5 years as a PBS dependent before she can apply for ilr. She cannot combine time spent on tier 4 main visa holder to make up 5 years for ilr as a PBS dependent.

Tier 4 doesn't qualify for ilr based on 5 years residence anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

beat23242
Newly Registered
India

Re: ILR eligibility for PBS dependant partner - time spent on other categories counts towards 5 year living together per

Post by beat23242 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks for the swift response!