ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Dependant Extension (Visa Period Query)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RustyNail
Newly Registered

Correct visa type when booking premium service appointment

Post by RustyNail » Fri May 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Hello all

I'm a British citizen naturalised via the Tier 1 (General) 5 year route. My wife who joined me in the UK in 2013 as a Tier 1 dependant and has had one extension in 2014 needs to renew her Tier 1 dependant visa again.

I'm booking a premium service centre appointment for her. For the question, "What type of application are you booking an appointment for?", it seems the best answer in her scenario would be 'PBS Work and Dependants' -> 'PBS Dependant (Tiers 1 and 5).'

However, when I choose this and go to the next screen, it asks me to choose 'Category of leave of the person you are applying to join'. The word 'join' seems a bit confusing here as she is not applying to join anyone. She has already joined me years ago and is simply applying to remain here.

What visa type shall I choose? I might be just getting hung up on a simple word (join) and I might already be choosing the correct option, but I'd like to confirm with knowledgeable folks that know about this. Thank you.

RustyNail
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Dependant Extension (Visa Period Query)

Post by RustyNail » Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello all

I'm a British citizen who was naturalised via Tier 1 (General) route and later obtained British citizenship. The query relates to my wife's Tier 1 Dependant visa extension.
  • March 2013: First Tier 1 Dependant Visa - While I was on the Tier 1 (General) visa, she joined me in March 2013 as a Tier 1 dependant. Her initial visa was set to expire in mid 2014 as that's when my own visa was expiring

April 2014: First Tier 1 Dependant Extension - We got a Tier 1 dependant extension for her which is for 3 years and due to expire on 20/06/2017

NOW we have to apply for her extension. Technically she will qualify for ILR in less than a year in March 2013 (5 year route), so she does not need a very long visa. I want to understand how long an extension she will be given and if there is any choice I have to apply for just a year's extension.
The main motivation behind this is to avoid the needless £600 IHS surcharge which the IHS website is calculating on the basis of a 3 year visa without consideration that she does not need a visa for that long before she qualifies for extension. Is there a way to avoid this £600 surcharge because she'll only be on this extended Tie 1 dependant visa for less than a year.

Appreciate all help, thanks.

RustyNail
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 Dependant Extension (Visa Period Query)

Post by RustyNail » Sun May 28, 2017 10:34 am

Any info please, anyone? Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 1 Dependant Extension (Visa Period Query)

Post by CR001 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 pm

RustyNail wrote:Hello all

I'm a British citizen who was naturalised via Tier 1 (General) route and later obtained British citizenship. The query relates to my wife's Tier 1 Dependant visa extension.
  • March 2013: First Tier 1 Dependant Visa - While I was on the Tier 1 (General) visa, she joined me in March 2013 as a Tier 1 dependant. Her initial visa was set to expire in mid 2014 as that's when my own visa was expiring

April 2014: First Tier 1 Dependant Extension - We got a Tier 1 dependant extension for her which is for 3 years and due to expire on 20/06/2017

NOW we have to apply for her extension. Technically she will qualify for ILR in less than a year in March 2013 (5 year route), so she does not need a very long visa. I want to understand how long an extension she will be given and if there is any choice I have to apply for just a year's extension.
The main motivation behind this is to avoid the needless £600 IHS surcharge which the IHS website is calculating on the basis of a 3 year visa without consideration that she does not need a visa for that long before she qualifies for extension. Is there a way to avoid this £600 surcharge because she'll only be on this extended Tie 1 dependant visa for less than a year.

Appreciate all help, thanks.
She will be given a 3 year extension. You are not able to apply for a lesser period.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Correct visa type when booking premium service appointme

Post by CR001 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm a British citizen naturalised via the Tier 1 (General) 5 year route. My wife who joined me in the UK in 2013 as a Tier 1 dependant and has had one extension in 2014 needs to renew her Tier 1 dependant visa again.

I'm booking a premium service centre appointment for her. For the question, "What type of application are you booking an appointment for?", it seems the best answer in her scenario would be 'PBS Work and Dependants' -> 'PBS Dependant (Tiers 1 and 5).'

However, when I choose this and go to the next screen, it asks me to choose 'Category of leave of the person you are applying to join'. The word 'join' seems a bit confusing here as she is not applying to join anyone. She has already joined me years ago and is simply applying to remain here.

What visa type shall I choose? I might be just getting hung up on a simple word (join) and I might already be choosing the correct option, but I'd like to confirm with knowledgeable folks that know about this. Thank you.
What are the options you are being given?? We don't all have access to the premium booking system.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RustyNail
Newly Registered

Re: Correct visa type when booking premium service appointme

Post by RustyNail » Wed May 31, 2017 2:51 pm

CR001 wrote:

What are the options you are being given?? We don't all have access to the premium booking system.
Thanks for the response. Access to the booking system is open for all, isn't it? I used the web page at https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-booking and clicked the green 'Book Now' button.
  • The first page asked, 'Are you currently in the UK?' - I responded 'Yes'.
    The next page asked to enter email address and choose a password
    The next page asked to choose application type. The choices were Transfer or Replacement, PBS Work and Dependants, EEA or CR Resident Permit, Further Leave to Remain, and Settlement. - I chose '
    PBS Work and Dependants'.
    This further provided sub options PBS Dependant (Tiers 1 and 5), Tier 5 Migrant, and Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) - I choose the first option 'PBS Dependant (Tiers 1 and 5)'
    The next page then asked the question, "What category of leave has the person you are applying to join applied for?"
My answer to this last question was Tier 1 General, but this is where the query about 'join' comes from. My wife has no plans to join anyone, as she has already joined me. She is just going to remain with me, or so I think. :)