ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Visa - Getting married

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

calvin12131416
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Tier 2 Visa - Getting married

Post by calvin12131416 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Hi,

I am currently holding a Tier 2 (General) Visa and working in the UK. I am planning to marry my girlfriend next year. She is from China and living in China at the moment. Here are my questions

1. Can me and my girlfriend get married in China, then she applies for the Tier 2 dependent visa and come to the UK with me? Can i change my current visa status from 'Single' to 'Married' ?

2. Can my girlfriend apply for the Tier 2 dependent visa immediately after we got married or she can only apply it next time when i renew my Tier 2 (General) visa ? (my current Tier 2 visa will be expired on Oct 2022)

Thanks a lot :D

ywlgy

Re: Tier 2 Visa - Getting married

Post by ywlgy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:33 pm

She can apply immediately after you get married in China. No need to update your visa status, but you need to update your police registration certificate.
Timing is up to you. She could wait after your extension application to avoid making two applications in a row. She will need to apply separately in China after you submitted your application, assuming you will apply within the UK.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

calvin12131416
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by calvin12131416 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:17 pm

ywlgy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:33 pm
She can apply immediately after you get married in China. No need to update your visa status, but you need to update your police registration certificate.
Timing is up to you. She could wait after your extension application to avoid making two applications in a row. She will need to apply separately in China after you submitted your application, assuming you will apply within the UK.
Thanks a lot. However, once i reached my 5 years in the UK, i will be able to apply for 'indefinite leave to remain'. At that time, my wife will be in the UK for around two and half years and not able to apply for 'indefinite leave to remain' yet. My questions again,

1. Can she extend her T2 dependent visa and reach 5 years then apply for 'indefinite leave to remain' ?

2. How long can she extend her T2 dependent visa ?

3. I got a BNO passport and able to apply for BNO visa. Will my wife's Tier 2 dependent visa time counts toward my BNO visa dependent? Then she can apply for 'indefinite leave to remain' after 5 years (Sorry that my final question is a bit tricky)

Thanks again for the answers :D :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:31 pm

1. Yes.

2. An extension once you have ilr will be 3 years for her.

3. Don't know.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.