ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working remotely overseas while on a Tier 2 visa?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

exxtreme_croquet
Newly Registered
Australia

Working remotely overseas while on a Tier 2 visa?

Post by exxtreme_croquet » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:43 pm

I'm currently employed full-time on a Tier 2 Visa (shortage occupation).

Due to certain recent events you likely heard about, I've decided to return to Australia. I have a flight booked, departing this coming week.

My boss said that he'd be Ok with me working remotely from Australia, at least until the whole virus thing has blown over (which he acknowledged could be some time). My whole team and practically the whole corporation is working remotely anyway, after being strongly advised to do so by by management. He doesn't seem to think it's a big deal which country I'm working from, as long as I'm working full days and dialling in to all meetings. (Though he kinda hinted he would prefer me to be in London, so I guess he might not be 100% happy with me leaving.)

Anyway my question is - would this still be allowed under the terms of the Tier 2 visa?
Do Tier 2 sponsored workers have to be physically present in the UK the whole time they're employed?
If so, does this mean I could lose my job due to this move?

If I am allowed to work overseas, is there a limit to how long? I read in various online sources that there's a limit of 180 days (6 months) outside of the UK, but that limit only seemed to apply to eligibility for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain). It didn't appear to be a criterion for holding a Tier 2 visa at all.

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Working remotely overseas while on a Tier 2 visa?

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:37 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.