ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Border checks on financial situation when re-entering on Tier 4 visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

perpetuallyperplexed
Newly Registered

Border checks on financial situation when re-entering on Tier 4 visa

Post by perpetuallyperplexed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi everyone

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who is worried about what sort of border checks she can expect when re-entering the UK on a Tier 4 visa after travelling for a couple of weeks at Christmas. She first entered the country in September, so is around 3 months into a year long master's course. As per my understanding the visa will therefore be valid up until the end of course in September 2020 (and you will all know more than me but I've read that there is an extra four month grace period after the end of the studies).

So, the visa is valid but what she is worried about is that she will be required to show evidence of her financial status (bank statements etc.) when re-entering the country. The issue is that, although she has all the funds required for maintenance in the UK (as per the guidelines of £1,265 per month) the balance is split between her UK account and her account back home. She only has recent bank statements for her UK account and older ones for her account back home.

Is anyone able to share their experiences of what sort of checks they have experienced at the border when leaving and re-entering the country within the validity of a Tier 4 visa? It would really helpful to put her mind at ease. From the reading I've done and my understanding of visas in general, most of these stringent checks should only apply to the issue of a new visa, right? Once you have the visa you essentially have the right to come and go as you like until the visa expires, provided you don't break any of the terms and conditions.

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for such a long post. As a Brit you all have my deepest sympathies for having to endure such a convoluted visa system!

srsw

Re: Border checks on financial situation when re-entering on Tier 4 visa

Post by srsw » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:26 pm

I never heard of such financial checks for returning tier 4 visa holders. I'd expect general questions like how long they were out of UK, etc. but not if they have enough money in their account or not.

Anyway that's just my experience/opinion. Let's see if any recent tier 4 students have any feedback.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:06 am

perpetuallyperplexed wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:26 pm
I'm posting on behalf of a friend who is worried about what sort of border checks she can expect when re-entering the UK on a Tier 4 visa after travelling for a couple of weeks at Christmas.
If someone holds a passport of one of the seven countries that use the eGates, they just walk through. If they are another nationality, they are stamped back in by a Border Force Officer.

Your friend seems to have somehow got the wrong idea about financial requirements for re-entry to the UK after travel. There are no such requirements. I advise she speaks to the international student adviser at her university, who offers free and expert student visa advice. They will put her mind at rest.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

perpetuallyperplexed
Newly Registered

Post by perpetuallyperplexed » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Many thanks for your quick responses, I will pass them on!