ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! PSW visa questions, will it be cancelled??

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shuyuuuu0208
Newly Registered

Help! PSW visa questions, will it be cancelled??

Post by shuyuuuu0208 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:09 am

Hello, thanks for your time!

I have a question about PSW visa.

I am going to do a master in July 2023, and graduate in July 2024, I am really worried that the psw visa might be cancelled during my study, eg. April 24? As I will be able to apply for 10 years settlement in July 2025, I don’t know if I should risk it and do the master in 2023?

Your answer will be much appreciated!

Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: Help! PSW visa questions, will it be cancelled??

Post by meself2 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:38 am

why would you think psw would be cancelled? you mean the route entirely?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

shuyuuuu0208
Newly Registered

Post by shuyuuuu0208 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:47 am

Yep! The route entirely, I just heard ppl saying about the restrictions the HO might put on international students, so want to hear ppl’s thoughts if the route will be cancelled say 2024?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:07 pm

Stop listening to 'people'.

Besides, there is no one in the UK other than the government, who could have any possible knowledge of what MIGHT happen (or not) in 2024 regarding ANY immigration routes. We do not work for UKVI and do not have any internal knowledge etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shuyuuuu0208
Newly Registered

Post by shuyuuuu0208 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:21 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:07 pm
Stop listening to 'people'.

Besides, there is no one in the UK other than the government, who could have any possible knowledge of what MIGHT happen (or not) in 2024 regarding ANY immigration routes. We do not work for UKVI and do not have any internal knowledge etc.
It’s a difficult one, as if I do the master, and they cancelled the route during my study, then I won’t be able to meet 10 years. I can either take the risk do the 12 months master from July, or wait until my current visa nearly expired which is end of 23, then do a 18 months master which gives me 22 months visa so I can do 10 years

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:25 pm

There are other routes you can apply for such as skilled worker visa or leave the UK and return on a visitor visa as ALL visas count for ILR based on 10 years long residence.

You seem to be paranoid as have also previously asked in July 2022 about the Start Up visa being cancelled.

uk-start-up-and-innovator-visas/start-u ... l#p2081018

But what we don't need on the forum, is panicking members listening to "someone down the road" who tells them a specific visa route is definitely being cancelled in two years time. Yes there are always changes that happen and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Please, stop panicking and asking about every visa route that MIGHT or COULD get cancelled or restricted and simply keep an eye on UKVI website for any updates.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shuyuuuu0208
Newly Registered

Post by shuyuuuu0208 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:25 pm
There are other routes you can apply for such as skilled worker visa or leave the UK and return on a visitor visa as ALL visas count for ILR based on 10 years long residence.

You seem to be paranoid as have also previously asked in July 2022 about the Start Up visa being cancelled.

uk-start-up-and-innovator-visas/start-u ... l#p2081018

But what we don't need on the forum, is panicking members listening to "someone down the road" who tells them a specific visa route is definitely being cancelled in two years time. Yes there are always changes that happen and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Please, stop panicking and asking about every visa route that MIGHT or COULD get cancelled or restricted and simply keep an eye on UKVI website for any updates.
Yes I am, I just wanted to plan every possible situation and make the best decision, sometimes it’s too late when you see the updates and it’s already been cancelled then it’s nothing I can do

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:38 pm

shuyuuuu0208 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:32 pm
Yes I am, I just wanted to plan every possible situation and make the best decision, sometimes it’s too late when you see the updates and it’s already been cancelled then it’s nothing I can do
Changes to the immigration rules and visa routes are generally announced months in advance. They are not announced to change overnight.

Please desist from posting such questions about 'every possible situation'. We do not know!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:06 pm

Yesterday's Times reported that
Numbers would be reduced by restricting access to the graduate visa, which allows any foreign student who has studied for a bachelor’s degree or higher to stay for at least two years. Only those with in-demand skills would qualify, which is likely to include civil engineers and scientists.

Braverman’s plans would make it harder for foreign students to bring dependants with them by raising the income threshold for each additional family member. At present, students who want to bring a spouse, partner or child with them must earn at least £680 a month for each dependant.

Downing Street has already said it will consider limiting the number of dependants that foreign students can bring with them.
So choose your masters degree wisely, perhaps in an applications STEM subject.

As CR001 stated above, such changes are generally announced at least 28 days in advance of coming into force, so we will definitely hear about it soon if it is brought into force.

Keep in mind that UK universities are heavily dependent on overseas students for their fees and it is therefore likely that they will collectively put pressure on the government to not impose draconian restrictions on overseas students.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shuyuuuu0208
Newly Registered

Post by shuyuuuu0208 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:15 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:06 pm
Yesterday's Times reported that
Numbers would be reduced by restricting access to the graduate visa, which allows any foreign student who has studied for a bachelor’s degree or higher to stay for at least two years. Only those with in-demand skills would qualify, which is likely to include civil engineers and scientists.

Braverman’s plans would make it harder for foreign students to bring dependants with them by raising the income threshold for each additional family member. At present, students who want to bring a spouse, partner or child with them must earn at least £680 a month for each dependant.

Downing Street has already said it will consider limiting the number of dependants that foreign students can bring with them.
So choose your masters degree wisely, perhaps in an applications STEM subject.

As CR001 stated above, such changes are generally announced at least 28 days in advance of coming into force, so we will definitely hear about it soon if it is brought into force.

Keep in mind that UK universities are heavily dependent on overseas students for their fees and it is therefore likely that they will collectively put pressure on the government to not impose draconian restrictions on overseas students.
Thanks! That’s very helpful

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:56 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:06 pm
UK universities are funded by the taxpayers.

Many courses are worthless, or the entrants bar is set so low, that their graduates can never find a job that will pay their students loans. When these loans are written off, they are paid for by the taxpayers.

A few years ago, the then government was talking about making the relevant university pay half of each student loan that is written off, to reduce the burden on the taxpayers. It would have also ensured that each university are more picky about who they take and only run courses that will allow the student to clear their loans.