ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 dependant Overstay

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Inphoenix
Newly Registered

Tier 4 dependant Overstay

Post by Inphoenix » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:31 pm

I am on a Tier 4 Visa and my dependant's visa validity is 4 months less than mine and has now expired by almost 2 months.

I am about to apply for my Postgraduate work visa, and for my dependant as well. What do I do in the present circumstances?

ywlgy

Re: Tier 4 dependant Overstay

Post by ywlgy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:27 pm

Your dependant is an overstayer now and very likely their application will be refused because the overstay is longer than 14 days. They could still try to apply, but a safer bet may be voluntarily leaving the UK and applying from abroad after 12 months.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:49 pm

ywlgy wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:27 pm
Your dependant is an overstayer now and very likely their application will be refused because the overstay is longer than 14 days. They could still try to apply, but a safer bet may be voluntarily leaving the UK and applying from abroad after 12 months.
Dependents won't be able to apply as graduate dependents as you have advised. The requirement is that they must be current tier 4 dependents to qualify.

https://www.gov.uk/graduate-visa/your-p ... d-children
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:34 pm

Inphoenix wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:31 pm
I am on a Tier 4 Visa and my dependant's visa validity is 4 months less than mine and has now expired by almost 2 months.
Why was your dependant’s visa expiry date different from yours?

Period and conditions of grant for a dependent partner or dependent child of a Student
ST 39.1. A dependent partner will be granted permission which ends on the same date as the Student’s permission.

ST 39.2. A dependent child will be granted permission which ends on the same date as whichever of their parents’ permission ends first.
Previously, subject to 319D(a).

If the endorsement was issued in error, then try asking them to correct it or give some remedy.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:58 am

Inphoenix wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:31 pm
I am about to apply for my Postgraduate work visa, and for my dependant as well. What do I do in the present circumstances?
As others have said, having taken no action to extend their permission before it expired, and having now been an overstayer for 2 months, your dependant cannot now apply as your Graduate route dependant from within the UK because their Student dependant permission expired more than 14 days ago. They also cannot apply overseas because there is no provision for Graduate route dependants to apply outside the UK.

As an overstayer they need to stop any work or study, and leave the UK. They need to wait out the 12-month ban before they can apply for any kind of visa again, including as a visitor.

You may wish to prioritise switching into Skilled worker within those 12 months, so your dependant can apply as your Skilled worker dependant when their 12-month ban has expired. Unlike with Graduate dependant, such applications can be made outside the UK.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Inphoenix
Newly Registered

Post by Inphoenix » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:04 am

Dependant is a minor and both parents are in the UK

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:25 am

What was the other parent’s leave/permission?
Overstaying has grave consequences.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Inphoenix
Newly Registered

Post by Inphoenix » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:32 am

Other parent has a skilled visa

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:58 am

As you didn’t comment that the child’s leave was in error, I’m assuming that it was correct.

Why didn’t the dependant child extend with a parent before expiry of leave? They may now refuse any leave to remain application that is subject to 39E.

They should really abolish 39E for minor children if they were serious about safeguarding the best interests and welfare of children under Section 55.

9.8.4. permits a minor child to apply for entry clearance in an eligible category such as a Skilled worker dependant without facing a reentry ban.

Inphoenix
Newly Registered

Post by Inphoenix » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:50 am

I omitted to apply to extend because I did not intend to go through the graduate route, but to return by my course end date. I also could not return with the child because her father had obtained a Prohibitive steps order that prevented me from taking the child out of the UK.