ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from a Tier 2 to a Tier 5 (Government Sponsored) Visa

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

VPmelbourne
Newly Registered
Australia

Switch from a Tier 2 to a Tier 5 (Government Sponsored) Visa

Post by VPmelbourne » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on my situation. I’m a post-graduate doctor from Australia pursuing further sub specialty training in the UK. I currently have a tier 2 visa by my UK sponsor for the duration of 6 months. Following this I have to change to another employer who has told me they can’t offer me Tier 2 sponsorship but they will support an application for a Tier 5 sponsorship through the Medical Training Initiative.

My question is, do I need to go back to Australia to apply for a switch to Tier 5 from my current Tier 2 visa? If I do, am I eligible to apply for a Tier 5 in the Tier 2 cooling off period?
- I am currently not pursuing any post-graduate research or a degree during my stay in the UK and the work is purely clinical.

My other question is, if my wife and kids comes to visit me during the period I will be on a tier 5 visa, are they able to come on the Visa Waiver program as we all have New Zealand passports? My understanding is that they can be in the country for up to 6 months without a visa.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Switch from a Tier 2 to a Tier 5 (Government Sponsored) Visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 am

Doesn't seem possible to switch from Tier 2 to tier 5 within the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-government-au ... -this-visa
Switch to this visa
You can apply to change (‘switch’) to a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) visa.

You should apply before your current visa expires.

Eligibility
You can apply if you’re a:

student, whether studying, resitting an examination or writing a thesis
student union sabbatical officer
student nurse
postgraduate doctor or dentist
Tier 4 visa
sponsored researcher who came to the UK on a work permit and you want to continue in the same job with your sponsor.
If I do, am I eligible to apply for a Tier 5 in the Tier 2 cooling off period?
There is no cooling off period to apply for Tier 5 from abroad. The cooling off period only applies to tier 2 to tier 2 applications if you apply abroad to change sponsors.
are they able to come on the Visa Waiver program as we all have New Zealand passports? My understanding is that they can be in the country for up to 6 months without a visa.
If they are able to convince the IO that they are genuine visitors and their stay is of a short duration (6 months isn't a visit it is classes as trying to reside). If you are in the UK on a Tier 5, the IO might expect to see evidence of their ties to their home country etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

VPmelbourne
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Switch from a Tier 2 to a Tier 5 (Government Sponsored) Visa

Post by VPmelbourne » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate it.