ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching to another visa from Working Holiday Visa

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

goodwind
Newly Registered

Switching to another visa from Working Holiday Visa

Post by goodwind » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi there,

I'm from New Zealand and my partner is English. I have only 6 months left on my Working Holiday Visa thus I would like to switch to a partner's visa. I checked the Policy Guidance for the Working Holiday visa and it says you cannot switch to another point based route or visitor's visa in England.

I am aware that if I want to switch to Tier 1 or a work permit, I would have to return home/New Zealand to change my visa. But it doesn't say anything switching to a partner's visa. Does anyone know if I can apply for a partners visa in England or I would have to return home to do it?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a partner's visa at the moment?

Also, how throughtly do UKBA check your documentation? Do they call your landlord or Tenancy Agencies to check to see if you stayed there the whole time as stated in your lease?

Any help is much appreciated!

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 pm

When you say 'Partners visa', do you mean 'Unmarried Partner visa'?
You can now switch from within the UK, but you would need documented evidence to prove that you have been living in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 24 months for a UPV. It will come under a great deal of scrutiny. Are you both over 21?