Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

USA citizen wanting to apply for Youth Mobility Scheme

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Junior Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:24 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
United States of America

USA citizen wanting to apply for Youth Mobility Scheme

Post by Robstin2014 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 pm


My brother, who is a US citizen is interested in applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme; however I have seen on the UK GOV website that it is not eligible for USA citizens.

Is there another way which he could live in the UK temporarily on the same/a similar arrangement?

User avatar
Posts: 68459
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
South Africa

Re: USA citizen wanting to apply for Youth Mobility Scheme

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 pm

There is no similar visa for US citizens to the Tier 5 YMS visa.

His only options would be the Tier Government Exchange Visa, for which he needs a sponsor. ... d-exchange

Or the Tier 4 student visa or the Tier 2 General employer sponsored visa. He needs a sponsor (university or HO approved employer) for both.

Then there is the Investor visa and Start Up visa, but both require endorsement and substantial funds to invest in a business,
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.