ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tenancy Agreement for sponsoring dependant

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

smacky

Tenancy Agreement for sponsoring dependant

Post by smacky » Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 pm

Dear all,
I intend on sponsoring my wife as my dependant. I have all the necessary documentation ready (bank statement, payslips, employment contract etc).

Although I realise that a tenancy agreement isn't required by Tier-1 (General) visa holders to sponsor dependants, I would still like to show it.

As I currently live in a room in a shared accomodation, is it sufficient to show that agreement for one room or would it be advantageous (in any way) to get a separate flat and show the agreement for that?

If I do show my tenancy agreement for the room, would it be helpful to obtain a letter from the landlord stating she does not have any objection to my wife joining me?

Thanks.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu May 31, 2012 6:09 pm

You have already said that this is not necessary and yet still intend to provide it. Therefore I don't understand why you are now looking to for tips to improve this completely voluntary measure.

smacky

Post by smacky » Thu May 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Lucapooka wrote:You have already said that this is not necessary and yet still intend to provide it. Therefore I don't understand why you are now looking to somehow reduce the burden of undertaking this completely voluntary measure.
Let me restate. Would a tenancy agreement under my name for a single room prove in any way that I have accomodation available for a dependant as opposed to just being my own proof of residence?

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 am

As already stated in the above posts, the tenancy agreement is not mandatory. Having said that, there have been rejections stating that the applicant did not include marriage photos or wedding invitation card. These are again not mandatory but people submit additional documents and the CW's assume that it is a requirement. I would also like to state that such rejections have been overturned after appeal.

A single room only proves that the main applicant has a place to stay. It does not however prove that there is sufficient space for 2 people to stay together in the same room. Having said this, there have been multiple cases where people have got approvals with such tenancy agreements.
letter from the landlord stating she does not have any objection to my wife joining me
Get this letter
Give me more Karma (+)

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 am

Sam, your comparison does not stack up.

319 of immigration rules make reference to:

(d) The marriage or civil partnership, or relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, must be subsisting at the time the application is made.

So asking for evidence of this in some cases is right and reasonable

However, there are no such references to accommodation, merely that:

(g)[...] there must be a sufficient level of funds available to the applicant, as set out in Appendix E.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:16 am

I know of a rejection where the application was made 1 week after marriage. The applicant submitted the marriage certificate which was proof enough for subsisting relationship. I don't see photographs and wedding invitation as relevant proofs of subsisting relationship, they just prove you got married which is again proven by the marriage certificate.
Give me more Karma (+)

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:27 am

What has that got to do with accommodation; the subject of this thread? We've already indicated that genuine and subsisting relationship is a stated matter for the rules and requirements but that accommodation is not.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:43 am

True !

The tenancy agreement is not mandatory and that's the bottomline. If the OP wishes he / she can include this document at their own judgement.
Give me more Karma (+)