ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled Status valid after citizenship - for how long?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

Settled Status valid after citizenship - for how long?

Post by kamoe » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:30 pm

Has anyone monitored when the electronic settled status (attached to passport or BRC) disappears from the Home Office records after one has acquired British citizenship? For example, for how long one can still generate a code to confirm status, etc.

I have confirmed that after 10 days of my citizenship ceremony, my status still shows up. But wondering how long that is going to last...
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

vinny

Re: Settled Status valid after citizenship - for how long?

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:41 pm

Perhaps a long time?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:12 pm

The status of your settlement simply ceases to exist once you acquire British citizenship, regardless of the fact you may access it digitally. The current requirement to return BRPs post citizenship acquisition will obviously stop circa end of 2024 when BRPs are phased out (or that’s the plan at least). You can apply for deletion of your biometric information which should remove your ability to digitally source your old status :

Individuals who want to request deletion of the biometric information held on them should write to:

Immigration Fingerprint Bureau,
5th Floor,
Lunar House,
40 Wellesley Road,
Croydon,
CR9 2BY

You will need to explain why you want the Home Office to delete your biometric information including providing evidence that shows the Secretary of State no longer requires the information in connection with a function under the Immigration Acts or in relation to nationality.

If you have recently been granted British Citizenship you must supply a copy of your naturalisation certificate, and your biometric residence permit if you have not already returned it.

If the Secretary of State agrees to delete your fingerprints, officials will take steps to ensure that biometric information held electronically is destroyed or erased. Where a facial photograph was provided for the purpose of a combined application for British citizenship and a UK passport, upon issuing the passport UKVI will be blocked from having access to the data.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:36 am

Thanks both.

I suppose I should rephrase my question to: For how long can a EU citizen keep traveling on their EU passport via Eurostar (no e-gates) after acquiring citizenship?

Regarding the case of the person in the link @vinny shared, did their information get updated because the system recently changed to hold information of digital status after, say, a month (in which case the same thing won't happen again to anyone), or because it holds information of digital status after, say, a year or two, and the person had recently and specifically passed that threshold?

Regarding @Amber's answer, I suppose I'm not really interested in the actual validity of the status but on what it will appear to be it's validity to the UK immigration official on arrival. Woul they admit a double national who recently acquired UK citizenship but who is traveling on their EU passport, on the basis of their digital status? (The status would still be visible).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.