ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel on expired vignette

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Urchin
Newly Registered

Travel on expired vignette

Post by Urchin » Fri May 29, 2020 6:41 pm

My American wife has a visa to come to the UK but was not able to travel within the 30 day vignette due to the pandemic.

Although the Home Office is offering to extend these, this cannot be done until the visa processing offices in the US reopen and there isn’t any sign of this happening yet.

She has heard of people in similar situations as her entering the UK using expired vignettes. Do people think this is a realistic option? I would be concerned that she would be refused entry but think it would depend on the border officer on the day. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Casa

Re: Travel on expired vignette

Post by Casa » Fri May 29, 2020 6:52 pm

If your wife enters the UK as a non-visa national visitor, she will be unable to collect her BRP after arrival as the visa vignette will have expired. That's apart from the issue of whether the Immigration Officer at UK Border Control will permit her entry as it will be obvious that her intention is to settle and not simply to visit. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Also note that being entered to the UK as a visitor, can cancel out her spouse visa as she cannot hold two UK visas at the same time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Urchin
Newly Registered

Post by Urchin » Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I can certainly see that entering on a visitors visa would not be a good idea, but was wondering what the chances would be of border control stamping her in on her residents visa. I personally think it is unlikely and would be a huge risk, but she has heard of people (only via forums) managing it and picking up the BRP without an issue.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Do you want to risk her being denied entry and put on a plane back to the US?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Urchin
Newly Registered

Post by Urchin » Fri May 29, 2020 7:13 pm

Nope, hence why i dont think it is a good idea - i am just exploring the option.