ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Letter from Home Office - Urgent Help / Advice..

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tom.tom

Letter from Home Office - Urgent Help / Advice..

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi All,

My Eligibility criteria for BC: 5yr Tier 1 General + 1yr ILR

I have received a letter from Home Office asking me to submit a letter from UK NARIC. failure to submit will result in BC application refused. I had submitted my degree certificate and a print out from PBS calculator along with application at NCS.

is it mandatory to submit letter from UK NARIC? please advice.

Thanks,
Tom
Last edited by tom.tom on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom.tom

Re: Letter from Home Office - Urgent advice required..

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:01 pm

https://www.gov.uk/english-language

Degrees taught or researched in English
You’ll need to prove your degree was both:

taught or researched in English
confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK
You’ll need to provide your original degree certificate and 1 of the following:

1. a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
2. an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
3. an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (excepting Canada)
Last edited by tom.tom on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Advice from senior members is much appreciated.

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Letter from confirms that your degree is not from the UK and it has to be confirmed by UK NARIC.

Advise given to you by tom.tom is correct.

Apply for comparison of degree with UK NARIC and request them for urgent processing and write a letter in reply to the one from HO that you have applied for the comparison of the degree certificate and will forward as soon as you receive it.

Make sure you also include the medium of instruction letter from the degree awarding University. As UK NARIC will only confirm that is equivalent to UK degree. Medium of instruction(degree taught in English is a separate service from UK NARIC).
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

tom.tom

Re: Letter from Home Office - Urgent Help / Advice..

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Spidery_thread

Thanks for your reply,

I have received the letter from home office requesting UK NARIC letter.

My degree is on the PBS calculator and I have used the same for Tier-1 general , extensions and ILR.
I submitted my original degree certificate and PBS print out at NCS.

As per the guidance in https://www.gov.uk/english-language
1. original degree certificate
2. a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English

I have submitted both 1 & 2,
I don't understand why I have received the letter? what should I do now?

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Did you apply for Naturalisation after 28 Oct 2013?

vd_ilr

Post by vd_ilr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Does the point based calculator give you minimum 20 points for education and 10 points for English requirement? If yes, I don't see any reason why home office is asking for you to get it certified from NARIC.

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Read the same link you have posted carefully:

It says:

1)taught or researched in English
2) confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Yes, I get 30 points for Bachelor degree and 10 points for english.
Yes, I applied after 28 Oct 2013

The letter from home office upsets me.

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm

I am sorry tom.tom but you missed the big print attached to the conditions for English language Requirement for Naturalisation(valid since 28 Oct 2013).

vd_ilr

Post by vd_ilr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:56 pm

@Spidery_thread

In the same link and just below the notes from your comment it says:

a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 pm

Read the full page.

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:07 pm

@Spidery_thread

This is what I understood from the link

proof 1: original degree certificate is for { degree taught or researched in English }
proof 2: printout from the points-based calculator is for{ confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK}

I have used the same degree to get points in the past for Tier-1 general initial application, extension and ILR.

Is my understanding correct?

vd_ilr

Post by vd_ilr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Sorry, I did read the full page and couldn't find anything except
One can prove knowledge of English by having either:

an English qualification at B1 level
a degree taught or researched in English
Going with second option, the page only says:

confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK

a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (excepting Canada)
Could you please highlight any other section in the same webpage which has different or more information? Thanks

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Anybody else in a similar situation. I applied for Naturalisation on 5th Feb at NCS.

vd_ilr

Post by vd_ilr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:22 pm

tom.tom, I too have applied in a similar way via NCS. I did see many posts in the forum where people have successfully completed naturalisation process by giving pbs print out and original degree certificate.

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks vd_ilr.

Can I request home office for more clarification?
what is the best way to reach them phone email or letter

gg1001

Post by gg1001 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 am

hi all,

i think da naturalisation team i not that much clear when it comes to degree with pbs printout as compared to ilr caseworker i got ilr last week just by attaching original degree with printout for me & my dependent with no problem.

hopefully ppl got ilr post 28th oct will not have problem with naturalisation as we can just select that they already met the requirement during ilr, even in guidance for naturalisation it says ppl are exempted if they have already done there life in uk and English requirement during ilr

thnks

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:36 am

Hello, I've too applied for naturalisation withe same set of documents (PBS print-out + original degree certificate + letter from university confirming language of medium as English). My NCS agent said it should be fine, Also, I had an clarification from Homeoffice (emails id: knowledgeoflifepolicyqueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk). Please read answers to Q6-Q8 in the attachment. This document is from homeoffice. Hope this answers your query.

From the document: (I could not attach the PDF file)

Degree Qualifications
5. Will my degree meet the requirement?
If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the language part of the requirement if:
- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or
- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada (see list below).
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.
6. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?
UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded 20 points or more for your degree, and an additional ten points for English language, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement. (See Q7 and Q8 below also)
Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). (UK NARIC will only issue an ELA for a degree that is comparable to a UK degree, so it will not be necessary to also request a Statement of Comparability)
7. How do I show that I have points for my degree and points for English?
If you want to use the calculator to show that you meet the KOLL requirement, you should access the calculator as a Tier 1 (General) migrant. If your qualification compares to a UK degree it will be awarded at least 20 points, and 10 additional points if it was taught in English,
8. The calculator has awarded points for my degree but has not awarded the additional 10 points for English language. What should I do?
You can request an English language assessment from UK NARIC, or an official letter from the university, stating that the degree was taught in English

newbie_t

Post by newbie_t » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 am

I applied couple of weeks ago and the lady at the NCS told me that, as far as if I could see my degree in PBS calculator and get 30 points, then it should be fine. The documents required were copy of original degree certificate and PBS calculator print out.

However I also had a letter from NARIC which I got in 2009 for a different purpose, which confirmed that my degree was equivalent to UK bachelor's Honors (doesn't confirm that degree was taught in English). She took that as well just in case as I already had one.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes, you are correct in 2009, the PBS caculator didn't awarded points for english language and it was a requirement to provide a letter from university stating that medium of language as English.

But, sometime in the recent past, PBS calculator started to provide points for english lanuguage requirement too. Today, when you go past the degree, under lanuguage requirement, it list the degree which you had selected in the previous page and next to it, there will be button to select for english language points. If your course/degree doesn't have a select button, which means PBS doesn't recognise for language requirement..

Thanks

spui
Newly Registered

Post by spui » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:44 pm

I had the same issue as the OP.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1008591

I have received my approval now.

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:32 pm

an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (excepting Canada)

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 pm

https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces
Disclaimer

We make every effort to make sure the points-based calculator is accurate, but it is designed only to give an indication of the number of points you might score. We do not guarantee that the points shown by the calculator reflect the full policy or that they are fully up-to-date. The points-based calculator and accompanying web pages do not guarantee a successful application and should not be taken to mean that you will score the points shown. If you wish to make an application under the Points Based System, you must always refer to the latest relevant policy and guidance documents for the full details. We will make a decision once we have received a full application and supporting evidence. This decision will include calculating the number of points your application scores in accordance with the current rules and policy.

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:14 pm

I have more updates on this.

I called home office today and told them them that my degree is already recognised on the points based calculator and that I get 30 points for degree and 10 points for English language. I have sucessfully claimed points in the past using the same degree for my Tier 1 initial application, extensions and ILR. And that I didn't understand why UK NARIC certificate has been requested now.

The lady took my number and said she will check with the case worker.

After a while I got a call back telling me that the case worker has confirmed that I need to send UK NARIC letter and unfortunately at the moment points based calculator print out is not sufficient.

I see the whole process unfair.....I think they should make it absolutely clear what documents should be submitted. and whats the point of NCS if I keep receiving letters to submit more evidence.

UK NARIC charges approx. £200 for their 48 hour fast track service. normal service is £50 and takes 10-15 working days.