ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

corky100
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by corky100 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:15 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:17 am

Maybe you can help me understand how this applies to my sister, Corky.

My grandfather was born in Ireland.
My mother was born in the US.
I became an Irish citizen via the FBR. (Yay!)

My sister was born in a third country and adopted by my parents in 1980.
Does my (adopted) sister have any claim on Irish citizenship? If so, what does she need to do to get a passport?

If I understand what you wrote, my mother and sister are both section 7 citizens? So my sister can apply for an Irish passport today?

I tried deciphering the law link you posted, but it's beyond my comprehension.
First point - S.11 Citizens are treated in a similar way to S.7 Citizens, but no, being adopted does not make you an s.7 Citizen.

In short the answer is yes, but this is where it gets murkey, as it depends on *when* you were adopted.

If your sister applies for a entry in the Register of Intercountry Adoptions (RICA), then she can apply for a passport. Your sister, like myself, was adopted pre-1991. Even according to the DFA website, a RICA is not needed for pre-2010 Passport applications, but the DFA required one before they would issue my passport. Theory vs Practice I'm afraid.

Issuance of a RICA depends on many things - it all depends on *when* (pre 91/pre 98 and pre-post 2010) and *what country*, parents being married etc. To many combinations to summarise in a forum post unfortunately.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:58 pm

Forgot to conclude, if your sister was adopted in the USA in 1980 and her adoptive parents were married at the time of adoption - I can see no reason why she would not get an RICA entry. The USA is in the acceptable country list. She will need her original adoption *court order*, parents marriage certificate,adoption cerificate (birth cert for adoptees) and will need to make a "Stautory Declaration" in front of an a solicitor.

Once she has the RICA, she can apply for a passport. If she has any questions, speak to the AAI, as they are very helpful.

gizmopug
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gizmopug » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:51 pm

Hi all

This forum has been a great help in understanding the process and timelines so posting here in hopes it helps others waiting

Application submitted- 4 July 2022
Documents received email- 18 July 2022

Address confirmation email- today- 3 March 2023

Was surprised to see my inbox today
8)

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:06 pm

mmc1664 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:15 pm
Been following this forum for a long time.

My time has finally come. The wait is over ! Timeline below for information.

06/02/2021 Application submitted/paid

09/03/2022 Docs received

30/01/2023 Address Confirmation

29/03/2023 Congratulations/Certificate Printed & Posted

Absolutely delighted. Good luck to all those still waiting, your time will come
Are those dates correct? Was it really more than a year from the application date to docs received?

gizmopug
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gizmopug » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:31 am

gizmopug wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:51 pm
Hi all

This forum has been a great help in understanding the process and timelines so posting here in hopes it helps others waiting

Application submitted- 4 July 2022
Documents received email- 18 July 2022

Address confirmation email- today- 3 March 2023

Was surprised to see my inbox today
8)
Today I got the email confirming my certificate was to be printed. The email gave a timeline of 4-6 weeks for punting and delivery !

Can’t believe process is almost over

SaffasGF
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SaffasGF » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:56 pm

Hello All

Very excited to be watching the timelines get shorter and shorter!

My question is for those who have been lucky enough to receive their "Address Confirmation" email. I am wondering what the wording of this email has been for others.

My partner has received an email that uses the term "Address Clarification" - having watched this forum with bated breath since their application was submitted in June 2022 I was a bit disheartened seeing the word "Clarification" where I had hoped to see "Confirmation," especially with the added delays expected with Information Clarification Emails.

If anyone else has received something along these lines and can share what their time line ended up being we would greatly appreciate it!

Just to add another data set to the forum for those interested (will also add to the Beautiful Spreadsheet)

Online Application: 23 June 2022
Docs Arrived in Balbriggan: 12 July 2022
Address Clarification email: 30 March 2023
Address Confirmation??

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:00 pm

Any used or can recommend a service other than Royal Mail for sending passport application documents?

Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by 1001 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:49 pm

Applied: November 2021
Application received: Dec 2021
Never got a receipt that my documents were received.

Then December 2022 and agent emailed me asking for additional documents which I sent a couple days later.

It’s been over 3 months now since I’ve sent the supporting documents in. I’ve tried emailing the guy handling my application to at least confirm receipt and he hasn’t responded. For all I know they never made it or the guy handling my case doesn’t work there anymore. I called their office and was just told I’ll be contacted if they need anything else. I told the guy handling my case that my daughter was due to be born soon and have been ignored. I’ve now become a parent of two children since I started this application (Irish twins ironically) and it’s heartbreaking that they will not have a path to citizenship now.

Now I’m seeing people that have been waiting half the time I’ve been waiting already being approved. I’m glad others are getting through but I’m so frustrated waiting for this resolution.

EK29259
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by EK29259 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:43 am

Hello, first time posting here because i never figured out how to before, I basically a confirmation email on 20 february which asked to send over more documents because i didn’t get the right profession for my witness and was just wondering how long it will take for them to open up my other documents, they were received on the 24th March and was just wondering when can i expect an reply on the status of my application and weather it has been passed. Thank you :)

alexkean1986
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alexkean1986 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:23 am

EK29259 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:43 am
Hello, first time posting here because i never figured out how to before, I basically a confirmation email on 20 february which asked to send over more documents because i didn’t get the right profession for my witness and was just wondering how long it will take for them to open up my other documents, they were received on the 24th March and was just wondering when can i expect an reply on the status of my application and weather it has been passed. Thank you :)
Sorry I can't be of help but could you clarify, did you start your application in February 2023 and they immediately apon receiving your documents highlighted the mistake? Also what was the profession they did not accept? Thanks in advance

DJT_08
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by DJT_08 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:03 am

The happy day has arrived!

21/05/2022 Application submitted

14/06/2022 Docs received

07/03/2023 Address Confirmation

04/04/2023 Congratulations/Certificate Printed & Posted

I have found this forum to be very helpful along the journey. Thanks to all for sharing your information and good luck to those still waiting.

EK29259
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by EK29259 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:43 pm

alexkean1986 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:23 am
EK29259 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:43 am
Sorry I can't be of help but could you clarify, did you start your application in February 2023 and they immediately apon receiving your documents highlighted the mistake? Also what was the profession they did not accept? Thanks in advance
They received my application on 13/04/2022 and they sent the email requesting more docs on 20/02/2023 and the docs were received on 24/03/2023, the profession i used first was a social worker who has witnessed other documents (not relations to fbr just in general) but it wasn’t allowed, so I was just wondering how long estimate for them to open and go through my documents i sent this year that they requested. Thank you :)

Milasz049
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Milasz049 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:00 pm

Finally after nearly two months of waiting for my congratulations email my son is finally Irish.

Application submitted: 30/11/2021
Documents sent: 3/12/2021
Application Received: 14/4/2022
Address Confirmation: 9/2/2023
Congrats email and confirmation of shipping: 7/4/2023

ishstand
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ishstand » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:42 pm

Kietan1997 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am
Hello my names Kietan, I applied for the fbr in October 2021. I heard back from a lady about two months ago saying I need a different death certificate for my grandmother. We emailed back and forth and I got the death certificate and mailed it to her. She said she would let me know when she received it. That was over two months ago and I’ve sent three emails since asking if she’s received it and gotten no reply. I’ve looked online for another contact and can’t seem to find anyone. Does anyone have a contact for me? Or do you guys think that’s normal for that to happen and not get a response? When she first emailed me she responded within a day. So I’m thinking maybe something happened to her or maybe she stopped working there I don’t know. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
Fellow Canadian here.. now worried that I too may have sent the wrong death certificate with my application. The local ministry provided two options and I figured they would want the detailed "Statement of Death" with signatures, letterhead, etc, but it sounds like I should've requested the shorter "Certificate of Death." Can you confirm? Thanks!

ishstand
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ishstand » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:45 pm

SaffasGF wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:56 pm
Hello All

Very excited to be watching the timelines get shorter and shorter!

My question is for those who have been lucky enough to receive their "Address Confirmation" email. I am wondering what the wording of this email has been for others.

My partner has received an email that uses the term "Address Clarification" - having watched this forum with bated breath since their application was submitted in June 2022 I was a bit disheartened seeing the word "Clarification" where I had hoped to see "Confirmation," especially with the added delays expected with Information Clarification Emails.

If anyone else has received something along these lines and can share what their time line ended up being we would greatly appreciate it!

Just to add another data set to the forum for those interested (will also add to the Beautiful Spreadsheet)

Online Application: 23 June 2022
Docs Arrived in Balbriggan: 12 July 2022
Address Clarification email: 30 March 2023
Address Confirmation??
My understanding is the email you've described receiving IS the address confirmation email. They confirm you still live where you originally stated, so they know where to send your certificate.

boardupdate
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by boardupdate » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:41 pm

Approval email came through today :D Roughly 10.5 months in total since submitting the application, with a 1 month wait between the address confirmation email and the congratulations email. It's been very helpful throughout the process to read through all the updates posted on this forum!

28/05/22 - Application submitted

17/06/22 - Documents received

10/03/23 - Address confirmation

10/04/23 - Congratulations email

shek312
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by shek312 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:25 pm

Hi all,
I'm an irish Citizen through Naturalisation and I'm preparing for a FBR for my newborn baby while residing in Japan.

What would be suffice as a proof of address for the application for the newborn baby?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:22 pm

shek312 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:25 pm
Hi all,
I'm an irish Citizen through Naturalisation and I'm preparing for a FBR for my newborn baby while residing in Japan.

What would be suffice as a proof of address for the application for the newborn baby?
https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/ has this line for your case:
Letter from school, family doctor or other relevant source on headed paper which includes the minor’s address.
Possibly register them at a GP?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:43 pm

In 2023, is there a rule of thumb of how long it typically takes between an application packet arriving date at the FBR office and when its receipt is acknowledged via email? Some folks seem to get the acceptance email within days of the packet delivery and while others (mostly in 2021/22) never got such an acceptance email and instead they only get the "address confirmation" email 12+ months later at the end of the process. My best guess is an acceptance email is now sent within 2-3 weeks of delivery...does that sound about right?

KhakiDaddy
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by KhakiDaddy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:59 pm

adlarson wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:43 pm
In 2023, is there a rule of thumb of how long it typically takes between an application packet arriving date at the FBR office and when its receipt is acknowledged via email? Some folks seem to get the acceptance email within days of the packet delivery and while others (mostly in 2021/22) never got such an acceptance email and instead they only get the "address confirmation" email 12+ months later at the end of the process. My best guess is an acceptance email is now sent within 2-3 weeks of delivery...does that sound about right?
Hi,

I recieved my Application Received email today, after it was delivered less than 2 weeks ago:

18 March 2023 - Application dropped off at Canada Post

31 March 2023 - Canada Post reported package delivered

11 April 2023 - Application Recieved Email

Trvlkat
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Trvlkat » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:24 am

1001 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:49 pm

Then December 2022 and agent emailed me asking for additional documents which I sent a couple days later.

It’s been over 3 months now since I’ve sent the supporting documents in. I’ve tried emailing the guy handling my application to at least confirm receipt and he hasn’t responded. For all I know they never made it or the guy handling my case doesn’t work there anymore. I called their office and was just told I’ll be contacted if they need anything else. I told the guy handling my case that my daughter was due to be born soon and have been ignored. I’ve now become a parent of two children since I started this application (Irish twins ironically) and it’s heartbreaking that they will not have a path to citizenship now.

Now I’m seeing people that have been waiting half the time I’ve been waiting already being approved. I’m glad others are getting through but I’m so frustrated waiting for this resolution.
I am in the exact same boat. Same dates of application and original docs received but my additional docs were requested and sent in January. I've reached out to my agent as well but still no confirmation they actually have the new docs. In Jan/Feb my agent responded to my email saying they were most likely with the documentation dept, but since then I've not gotten any replies to the few follow-up emails I've sent. I did call and speak with someone briefly who told me that the additional documents could take 3 months to process, but this was a generic answer since he did not ask for my case number or anything.

I keep trying to relax and wait it out, but I agree that it is very frustrating see in people that applied several months after me to getting approved so quickly. I'm half tempted to start a new application -- might be faster at this rate lol. I can't imagine how you are feeling with the additional frustrations regarding your children. Hopefully we get some news soon

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 pm

I just got my acceptance email...so right now it appears 10 business days between packet delivery and email acceptance
KhakiDaddy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:59 pm
adlarson wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:43 pm
Hi,

I recieved my Application Received email today, after it was delivered less than 2 weeks ago:

18 March 2023 - Application dropped off at Canada Post

31 March 2023 - Canada Post reported package delivered

11 April 2023 - Application Recieved Email

Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by 1001 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:49 pm

Trvlkat wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:24 am
1001 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:49 pm

I am in the exact same boat. Same dates of application and original docs received but my additional docs were requested and sent in January. I've reached out to my agent as well but still no confirmation they actually have the new docs. In Jan/Feb my agent responded to my email saying they were most likely with the documentation dept, but since then I've not gotten any replies to the few follow-up emails I've sent. I did call and speak with someone briefly who told me that the additional documents could take 3 months to process, but this was a generic answer since he did not ask for my case number or anything.

I keep trying to relax and wait it out, but I agree that it is very frustrating see in people that applied several months after me to getting approved so quickly. I'm half tempted to start a new application -- might be faster at this rate lol. I can't imagine how you are feeling with the additional frustrations regarding your children. Hopefully we get some news soon

Well, I appreciate your reply. I guess there’s some solace knowing there are others in the same boat and that my situation isn’t an anomaly. Please update us if anything happens! I’ll do the same.

bell123321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bell123321 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:38 pm

Good day all,

I have read a few people in a similar situation and was looking for some advice.

Claiming via Irish Grandparent (My mothers father).
Obtained the death certificate and birth cert for grandparent and birth cert for my mother. (Not sure if I need marriage certificates as names follow throughout if I do I will get these but not sure if required?).

However, I have not seen my mother for 29 years and have no idea where she and have zero way of contacting her as she walked out when I was a child and left me with my dad.

I called the FBR today and got told the ownership is on me to get ID from my mother even if exchanged which of course is impossible and the reply I got was "You will have to wait till she's dead and get her death certificate then".

Is there no way around this? (I would not be told if she passes as have no contacts on mums side of the family).

Thank you in advance if anyone is able to offer any advice.

AngloIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by AngloIrish » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:58 pm

Does anyone know if posting to the UK is still being delayed?