ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Uupindi
Newly Registered
Belgium

Schengen Visa

Post by Uupindi » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:59 pm

Hi there. First post...

I am thinking about inviting a friend over to Belgium from Namibia. Long story - I worked in Namibia for quite a long time, so obviously during that time I met people. But the guy who I would like to invite might find it difficult to prove ties to Namibia (i.e. proof of return) through the more traditional ways. He will certainly go back (this is partly why I would like to invite him), but does anyone have any experience or knowledge with more non-traditional ways?

When I say 'traditional', I mean that he works on a farm in the north, meaning very little income and no employment contract. No children, not married, and so forth. So I am wondering what else he could use as proof of a tie - bearing in mind, again, that he will go back.

Many thanks!

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Schengen Visa

Post by Angel99 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:14 am

Uupindi wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:59 pm
Hi there. First post...

I am thinking about inviting a friend over to Belgium from Namibia. Long story - I worked in Namibia for quite a long time, so obviously during that time I met people. But the guy who I would like to invite might find it difficult to prove ties to Namibia (i.e. proof of return) through the more traditional ways. He will certainly go back (this is partly why I would like to invite him), but does anyone have any experience or knowledge with more non-traditional ways?

When I say 'traditional', I mean that he works on a farm in the north, meaning very little income and no employment contract. No children, not married, and so forth. So I am wondering what else he could use as proof of a tie - bearing in mind, again, that he will go back.

Many thanks!
Hi,
It is very likely his visa will be denied. Even those with all required documents and strong ties are still denied. Especially the Belgain embassies in African/Asian countries.

Best he builds his financial/economic ties on paper before applying.

Uupindi
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by Uupindi » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:05 am

Hi there,

Thanks for this quick and honest response. I thought this might be the case.

Uupindi
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by Uupindi » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:05 pm

Just to add to this: he can prove a casual contract at a school (which is something, I guess). But I am wondering how the addition of a sponsorship might help (i.e. Annex 3bis, in Belgium). If you are not familiar with it, it is a document of financial sponsorship and responsibility, i.e. I would be responsible both for his stay and, as the agreement is for two years, any costs related to an overstay - e.g. repatriation, prison, healthcare, and so forth. The translated wording is 'any costs incurred by the state in relation to the sponsored person, for a period of two years from the start of the agreement'.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:08 pm

I'm not familiar with sponsorship laws in Belgium, but if it's similar to German one (VE), that could possibly work; usually these sponsorships come from family members, though.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Uupindi
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by Uupindi » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:24 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:08 pm
I'm not familiar with sponsorship laws in Belgium, but if it's similar to German one (VE), that could possibly work; usually these sponsorships come from family members, though.
Thanks. I'll investigate, certainly. In Belgium, it is allowed for non-relatives to complete the form, but there are higher earning requirements than for family. Copied below for easy reference. Source: https://www.kuleuven.be/english/life-at ... f-solvency

If the guarantor is a first or second degree relative, Belgian law requires that your guarantor must be able to show that he or she earns at least € 800 a month plus € 150 per person who is legally dependent on him or her (net amount). In addition to this, your guarantor's income must avail of € 150 per month for yourself.

If the guarantor is NOT a first or second degree relative, Belgian law requires that your guarantor must be able to show that he or she earns at least € 1000 a month plus € 150 per person who is legally dependent on him or her (net amount). In addition to this, your guarantor's income must avail of € 200 per month for yourself.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:28 pm

Uupindi wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:24 pm
Copied below for easy reference. Source: https://www.kuleuven.be/english/life-at ... f-solvency
That seem to not have the latest information.

I found this website - https://dofi.ibz.be/en/themes/faq/short ... obligation (or https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... obligation from cache as it's currently throwing me an error), which states more stringent requirements.
From 01/12/2023, the guarantor must have an income equivalent to at least 120% of the amount referred to in Article 14, §1, 3°, of the Act of 26 May 2002 on the right to social integration. Since November 1, 2023, this amount has been equivalent to 2,048.53 euros (net income per month).
Seems like you can indeed invite non-relatives; also keep in mind in Namibia Schengen visas are issued by German consulate (so there are differences in how/where the guarantor has to submit the guarantee); consult the website to be prepared (ref: https://windhuk.diplo.de/na-en/service/05-VisaEinreise ).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:44 am

meself2 wrote:
Even with the Verpflichtungserklärungen from the Ausländerbehörde as you mentioned, the applicant still need to show proof of ties to his country of origin and financial status . They won't just issue a visa to someone who doesn't have reasons to return.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:51 am

Uupindi wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:24 pm
meself2 wrote:
Thanks. I'll investigate, certainly. In Belgium, it is allowed for non-relatives to complete the form, but there are higher earning requirements than for family. Copied below for easy reference. Source: https://www.kuleuven.be/english/life-at ... f-solvency

If the guarantor is a first or second degree relative, Belgian law requires that your guarantor must be able to show that he or she earns at least € 800 a month plus € 150 per person who is legally dependent on him or her (net amount). In addition to this, your guarantor's income must avail of € 150 per month for yourself.

If the guarantor is NOT a first or second degree relative, Belgian law requires that your guarantor must be able to show that he or she earns at least € 1000 a month plus € 150 per person who is legally dependent on him or her (net amount). In addition to this, your guarantor's income must avail of € 200 per month for yourself.
Though you can provide an invitation letter or guarantor form. The applicant will still need to satisfy the basic standard short stay visa requirements.
The guarantor form doesn't replace the applicants financial status or ties in his home country. It just guarantees the applicant won't be a burden on the state since you will be held responsible of any problem and also it reduces his financial requirements.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:51 am

I agree that it's not a magical solution for this, as the person has to be assessed not just by financial criteria, but that's the best option there is, if they're willing to take the risk of refusal - not many countries have a similar system.

Uupindi
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by Uupindi » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:58 pm

Dear All,

Thanks again for this conversation.

I agree that an Annex 3bis is not a magic bullet and that he will have to prove his ties to Namibia as part of the application requirements. We'll gather that as well - he has a car in his name, which helps. There are a few other things.

My approach is to gather the best possible application based on his circumstances, and see what happens. I mean, if people are being refused even with all of the necessary documents then the process appears to be a bit subjective. In any case, I won't hold out for a positive response but don't ask, don't get.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:50 pm

Uupindi wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:58 pm
Dear All,

Thanks again for this conversation.

I agree that an Annex 3bis is not a magic bullet and that he will have to prove his ties to Namibia as part of the application requirements. We'll gather that as well - he has a car in his name, which helps. There are a few other things.

My approach is to gather the best possible application based on his circumstances, and see what happens. I mean, if people are being refused even with all of the necessary documents then the process appears to be a bit subjective. In any case, I won't hold out for a positive response but don't ask, don't get.
You're right, nothing ventured, nothing gained. He's not going to suddenly be as rich as Elon Musk overnight. Gather together what he has, and support him with as much as you can. If you plan to fully sponsor him and you have a lot of funds that you can evidence, that just might help.
Worst case he gets denied and stays exactly where he's at.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!