ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good character requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

StruggleisReal

Good character requirements

Post by StruggleisReal » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pm

Hi All

I am due to apply for my British Citizenship finally after many years of immigration applications and I have a few questions I would like to have clarity on, if someone can answer them that would be highly appreciated

About two years ago I was stopped by the police for not wearing a seatbelt on the passenger side.

The police took my details saying I will receive a letter by post about the offence with details of the penalty

I never received this and I have checked my driver license online and it is clean.

Does this mean that I don’t have anything against my name and do not need to report it in my application?

Second question: I have for settled status under EUSS scheme and was granted this Settled Status on 26-03-2021

Prior to 26.03.2021 do I need to provide evidence of my EEA family member exercising treaty rights to comply with requirements under the EEA Regulations 2016?

I am just reading the guidance on good character and so came across this piece of information, if anyone can shed some light to it that would be great. I don’t have a straightforward immigration history so I am relying on the 10year lawful residency to apply for Citizenship.

I appreciate this is long and really value your feedback and help in this matter.

Many thanks in advance
EEA nationals and their family members
Where you are not disregarding immigration breaches relating to lawful residence,
you must assess whether a person has complied with immigration requirements over
the previous 10 years, taking into account whether they were subject to the EEA
Regulations 2016, or the Immigration Act 1971, and whether they complied with the
relevant requirements.
Page 52 of 57 Published for Home Office staff on 31 July 2023
People who were, prior to the ending of free movement, entitled to reside in the UK
under the EEA Regulations 2016 (as saved), did not require leave to enter or remain.
However, in order to continue living and working in the UK after 31 December 2020,
they were required to have submitted an application to the EU Settlement Scheme
(EUSS).
The Citizens’ Rights (Application Deadline and Temporary Protection) (EU Exit)
Regulations 2020 (Grace Period Regulations 2020) set the deadline for applications
to the EUSS as 30 June 2021. They preserved the EEA Regulations 2016 for those
who were lawfully resident immediately prior to the end of the transition period (11pm
on 31 December 2020) and for joining family members arriving during the Grace
Period who had not yet acquired EUSS leave.
Since 1 July 2021, the Grace Period Regulations 2020 continue to apply only to
those who were lawfully resident immediately prior to the end of the transition period
and who applied to the EUSS on or before 30 June 2021, and who are still awaiting
a final determination (including any appeal) on their application.
Where a person failed to comply with conditions imposed under the immigration acts
(for example by overstaying) prior to acquiring EEA rights, or protection under the
Grace Period Regulations, you must still consider the breaches of the other
immigration acts.
Where you are not disregarding immigration breaches relating to lawful residence of
an applicant who was subject to the EEA Regulations 2016 in the 10 years prior to
making their application, you must consider whether they failed to comply with those
requirements, giving consideration to the following factors.
EEA or Swiss nationals or the family members of an EEA or Swiss national
with a permanent residence card
If an EEA or Swiss national or their family member held a permanent residence card
prior to 30 June 2021, you can accept that they complied with immigration
requirements in the UK for the 5-year period before it was issued, and the period
since then. This is provided that they did not lose their permanent residence, for
example by being out of the UK for more than 2 years.
EEA or Swiss nationals and their family members granted indefinite leave to
remain (settled status) under the EUSS
The EUSS has allowed EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members who
wanted to stay in the UK to obtain the UK immigration status they needed in order to
continue living and working in the UK after 31 December 2020.
To qualify for indefinite leave to remain under the EUSS (settled status), an EEA
national or their family member must have been resident in the UK for a continuous
period of 5 years. However, a grant of settled status under the EUSS does not
confirm that the person has complied with immigration requirements during that time,
as this is not a requirement of the EUSS.
Page 53 of 57 Published for Home Office staff on 31 July 2023
To assess whether the person complied with the requirements of EU law you must
consider the guidance on EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members. This
includes the type of evidence you can take into account. You must assess whether
the applicant was exercising a Treaty right and therefore complying with the
requirements of the EEA Regulations 2016.
Guidance on naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion explains how to consider
lawful residence by EEA nationals in relation to applications for citizenship and how
to exercise discretion over immigration breaches in the relevant qualifying period.
You must consider whether it is appropriate to exercise discretion in the person’s
favour or whether it is appropriate to refuse the application because they do not meet
the good character requirement

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Good character requirements

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:48 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pm
Hi All

I am due to apply for my British Citizenship finally after many years of immigration applications and I have a few questions I would like to have clarity on, if someone can answer them that would be highly appreciated

About two years ago I was stopped by the police for not wearing a seatbelt on the passenger side.

The police took my details saying I will receive a letter by post about the offence with details of the penalty

I never received this and I have checked my driver license online and it is clean.

Does this mean that I don’t have anything against my name and do not need to report it in my application? On the face of it as you weren't fined or received a court sentence then there's nothing to report.

Second question: I have for settled status under EUSS scheme and was granted this Settled Status on 26-03-2021

Prior to 26.03.2021 do I need to provide evidence of my EEA family member exercising treaty rights to comply with requirements under the EEA Regulations 2016? You only provide evidence required for your residency. if you think there's a problem with your history you can always attach a covering note explaining the issues.

I am just reading the guidance on good character and so came across this piece of information, if anyone can shed some light to it that would be great. I don’t have a straightforward immigration history so I am relying on the 10year lawful residency to apply for Citizenship.

I appreciate this is long and really value your feedback and help in this matter.

Many thanks in advance
EEA nationals and their family members
Where you are not disregarding immigration breaches relating to lawful residence,
you must assess whether a person has complied with immigration requirements over
the previous 10 years, taking into account whether they were subject to the EEA
Regulations 2016, or the Immigration Act 1971, and whether they complied with the
relevant requirements.
Page 52 of 57 Published for Home Office staff on 31 July 2023
People who were, prior to the ending of free movement, entitled to reside in the UK
under the EEA Regulations 2016 (as saved), did not require leave to enter or remain.
However, in order to continue living and working in the UK after 31 December 2020,
they were required to have submitted an application to the EU Settlement Scheme
(EUSS).
The Citizens’ Rights (Application Deadline and Temporary Protection) (EU Exit)
Regulations 2020 (Grace Period Regulations 2020) set the deadline for applications
to the EUSS as 30 June 2021. They preserved the EEA Regulations 2016 for those
who were lawfully resident immediately prior to the end of the transition period (11pm
on 31 December 2020) and for joining family members arriving during the Grace
Period who had not yet acquired EUSS leave.
Since 1 July 2021, the Grace Period Regulations 2020 continue to apply only to
those who were lawfully resident immediately prior to the end of the transition period
and who applied to the EUSS on or before 30 June 2021, and who are still awaiting
a final determination (including any appeal) on their application.
Where a person failed to comply with conditions imposed under the immigration acts
(for example by overstaying) prior to acquiring EEA rights, or protection under the
Grace Period Regulations, you must still consider the breaches of the other
immigration acts.
Where you are not disregarding immigration breaches relating to lawful residence of
an applicant who was subject to the EEA Regulations 2016 in the 10 years prior to
making their application, you must consider whether they failed to comply with those
requirements, giving consideration to the following factors.
EEA or Swiss nationals or the family members of an EEA or Swiss national
with a permanent residence card
If an EEA or Swiss national or their family member held a permanent residence card
prior to 30 June 2021, you can accept that they complied with immigration
requirements in the UK for the 5-year period before it was issued, and the period
since then. This is provided that they did not lose their permanent residence, for
example by being out of the UK for more than 2 years.
EEA or Swiss nationals and their family members granted indefinite leave to
remain (settled status) under the EUSS
The EUSS has allowed EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members who
wanted to stay in the UK to obtain the UK immigration status they needed in order to
continue living and working in the UK after 31 December 2020.
To qualify for indefinite leave to remain under the EUSS (settled status), an EEA
national or their family member must have been resident in the UK for a continuous
confirm that the person has complied with immigration requirements during that time,
includes the type of evidence you can take into account. You must assess whether
Guidance on naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion explains how to consider
lawful residence by EEA nationals in relation to applications for citizenship and how
to exercise discretion over immigration breaches in the relevant qualifying period.
You must consider whether it is appropriate to exercise discretion in the person’s
favour or whether it is appropriate to refuse the application because they do not meet
the good character requirement
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:11 pm

Many thanks for the reply

I am hesitant providing a cover note as I do not want to highlight my history. I want to provide the details and document necessary for the application.

Generally, is there a requirement for family members of EEA citizens to provide evidence of EEA citizen exercising treaty rights for the last 10years or even 5years?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:27 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:11 pm
Many thanks for the reply

I am hesitant providing a cover note as I do not want to highlight my history. I want to provide the details and document necessary for the application. You provide the documents relating to your application.

Generally, is there a requirement for family members of EEA citizens to provide evidence of EEA citizen exercising treaty rights for the last 10years or even 5years? Haven't seen this asked about for a long time, also remember that EEA regulations are no longer in force. You have EUSS/ILR which is the requirement for naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:52 pm

I’m reading the below notes from the guidance

This suggests that prior to gaining Settled Status I was subject to European Law and therefore would need to prove that I was lawfully resident in the UK by providing evidence of my EEA family member exercising treaty rights?

I can’t get my head around this? If British Citizenship was dependent on the Settled Status only, then the below text would not be in the guidance notes.

Or am I missing something?
the good character requirement.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:38 am

Hi

Please can someone provide their valuable insights on the above?

It would be greatly appreciated!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:19 am

Can you elaborate on your "non straightforward immigration history"? Any overstaying, any immigration breaches, illegal work, etc? You don't need to provide evidence of your entitlement to settled status, naturalisation is a different process and not under immigration laws.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Thu May 09, 2024 10:33 pm

Thank you for your response and apologies for a delayed response.

In short my history is

June 2016 - entered UK On a visit visa

October 2016 issued with a EEA residence card of EEA family member for 5 years

October 2011 - In time EEA4 application but was rejected for insufficient evidence of treaty rights of EEA national

March 2012 - applied for EEA4 again and rejected for same reason

August 2012 - applied for Set O applicator and this was rejected but was granted discretionary Leave for 2 years in May 2014

August 2014 - applied for EE2 and granted 5 years vignette valid after going for appeal and this was valid until November 2020

September 2020 - applied to EUSS scheme and granted settled status in March 2021

Based on the above I have been overstayer from Oct 2011 - May 2014 and have legal stay since May 2014 so want to now apply for citizenship as soon as possible, is this correct?

In the application form it asked for parents details , my mother is deceased, do I leave my mother details blank?

I have P60 from 2015 to now, what do I need to provide to cover my residence from May 2014? Would it be bank statements?

I have many passports from 2006, do I need to provide them all from this date or May 2014?

Do I need to upload all the pages of my passports?

Do I also need to provide details of all my valid stays/visas/biometrics from 2014?

Can I use my sister in law as a reference, she resides at a different address

Once I start my application from, can I change the email address with which I login to the system before submitting the application and eventually receive updates on the application ?

Can I choose a difference council for the ceremony if that has sooner dates available?

Many thanks for your time in advance

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Thu May 09, 2024 10:41 pm

Also,

I changed address last year but have not registered to vote at my new address. I am still registered to vote at my previous address, will this cause a problem?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu May 09, 2024 11:04 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:41 pm
Also,

I changed address last year but have not registered to vote at my new address. I am still registered to vote at my previous address, will this cause a problem?
It's a non issue

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri May 10, 2024 7:52 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:33 pm
Thank you for your response and apologies for a delayed response.

In short my history is

June 2016 - entered UK On a visit visa

October 2016 issued with a EEA residence card of EEA family member for 5 years

October 2011 - In time EEA4 application but was rejected for insufficient evidence of treaty rights of EEA national

March 2012 - applied for EEA4 again and rejected for same reason

August 2012 - applied for Set O applicator and this was rejected but was granted discretionary Leave for 2 years in May 2014

August 2014 - applied for EE2 and granted 5 years vignette valid after going for appeal and this was valid until November 2020

September 2020 - applied to EUSS scheme and granted settled status in March 2021

Based on the above I have been overstayer from Oct 2011 - May 2014 and have legal stay since May 2014 so want to now apply for citizenship as soon as possible, is this correct?

In the application form it asked for parents details , my mother is deceased, do I leave my mother details blank? If you are not claiming citizenship through your parents this is not strictly needed, can leave blank

I have P60 from 2015 to now, what do I need to provide to cover my residence from May 2014? Would it be bank statements? No bank statements. If your passport gets stamped when you enter teh UK scans of all pages of passport will be enough

I have many passports from 2006, do I need to provide them all from this date or May 2014? only of the qualifying period

Do I need to upload all the pages of my passports? only of the qualifying period

Do I also need to provide details of all my valid stays/visas/biometrics from 2014? no, only application URNs and dates, as many details as you can

Can I use my sister in law as a reference, she resides at a different address no, se is related to you by marriage

Once I start my application from, can I change the email address with which I login to the system before submitting the application and eventually receive updates on the application ? No, you can't change it and the main update that many people receive is the outcome. no intermediate updates on the process unless UKVi needs further information

Can I choose a difference council for the ceremony if that has sooner dates available? No, you choose at time of application and can't change

Many thanks for your time in advance
Regarding your immigration history in the last 10 years, why don't you do a SAR and check if at any point you were marked as an overstayer?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Fri May 10, 2024 10:55 am

I have done a SAR and does state that some of my applications were out of date, namely the SET O so I concluded that I have been overstayer

I have received the SAR result but the file is so complication to read, I requested copies of my applications as well but they have only provided for 2 applications

My qualifying periods, would it be the last 10years?

Also does the application need a cover letter? If yes, is there a general template I can use? I have not been able to find any on this forum

If the team requires any further information will they contact me so I have opportunity to provide them?

As for referees, the declaration form does not ask for their British Passport number, but it does ask within the application form, do I print those pages and the referee declaration form and give them to the referees for them to fill in? And then scan it and upload?

Do you think I can make the application myself or best through solicitors?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Fri May 10, 2024 11:53 am

Thank you for your responses

Since the application is all electronic. What do I need to choose at the section where it asks BRP enclosed?

Just for clarity and to make sure I understand, can I use my brothers wife or my sisters husband as referee?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri May 10, 2024 12:07 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:53 am
Thank you for your responses

Since the application is all electronic. What do I need to choose at the section where it asks BRP enclosed?

Just for clarity and to make sure I understand, can I use my brothers wife or my sisters husband as referee? No you cannot. They are related to you by marriage. Find someone not related to you at the slightest.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri May 10, 2024 4:21 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:55 am
I have done a SAR and does state that some of my applications were out of date, namely the SET O so I concluded that I have been overstayer

I have received the SAR result but the file is so complication to read, I requested copies of my applications as well but they have only provided for 2 applications

My qualifying periods, would it be the last 10years? No, five if you apply in your own right, 3 if you are married to a British citizen. However for immigration breaches they look at the previous 10 years.

Also does the application need a cover letter? If yes, is there a general template I can use? I have not been able to find any on this forum It doesn't need one, though you can write one if you want,we don't have a template as it has to be tailored to the individual

If the team requires any further information will they contact me so I have opportunity to provide them? yes. best to enclose all relevant details in the application to reduce delays.

As for referees, the declaration form does not ask for their British Passport number, but it does ask within the application form, do I print those pages and the referee declaration form and give them to the referees for them to fill in? And then scan it and upload? No, only give them the form. You need to ask them their passport number and input it in the online form yourself.

Do you think I can make the application myself or best through solicitors? I did my application on my own, also thanks to the support I received on this forum, as many other people do.
I wouldn't be able to comment confidently on when you have stopped being an overstayer - to be on the safe side, you could wait 10 years until you were granted leave again (from your timeline I imagine this was November 2015).

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Fri May 10, 2024 7:38 pm

Many thanks for your response

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Sat May 11, 2024 12:25 am

Hi

Is the online application different to the paper application?

I have read a paper application a few times to understand the details required but have not seen any question about details of all my previous immigration applications, it only asks about a any reference number used in my immigration application

Is there a way to have a look at the online application without me starting my application?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat May 11, 2024 8:14 am

You need to start the online application, however you don't have to submit it. You can also start it with pretend information, eg name "test" surname "test". if you don't log in for 10 weeks UKVI will delete all details of the application.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon May 20, 2024 7:28 am

Hi all

Can I use a member of a trade union as my professional reference?

Or, can I use a member of the Labour Party as a professional reference?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 10:09 am

A trade union officer (not just a member) will be OK. I don't think a member of a political party is an acceptable referee.

This is the official list of accepted professions:
accountant

airline pilot

articled clerk of a limited company

assurance agent of recognised company

bank or building society official

barrister

British Computer Society (BCS) - professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS)

broker

chairman or director of limited company

chemist

chiropodist

christian science practitioner

commissioner for oaths

councillor: local or county

civil servant (permanent)

dentist

designated premises supervisors

director or Manager of a VAT registered charity

director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT registered company

driving instructor (approved)

engineer (with professional qualifications)

fire service official

funeral director

insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company

journalist

justice of the Peace

legal secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)

local government officer

manager or Personnel officer (of limited company)

member of Parliament

member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces

Merchant Navy officer

minister of a recognised religion

nurse (RN, SEN or holder of a BA in nursing)

officer of the armed services (active or retired)

optician

paralegal (certified or qualified paralegals, and associate members of the Institute of Paralegals)

person with honours (such as OBE, MBE and so on)

personal licensee holders

photographer (professional)

police officer

Post Office official

president or secretary of a recognised organisation

Salvation Army officer

social worker

solicitor

surveyor

teacher, lecturer

trade union officer

travel agency (qualified)

valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate members of the incorporated society)

warrant officers and chief petty officers

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon May 20, 2024 1:46 pm

Many thanks for the extended list, much appreciated

I may have to trouble you a bit as I am in process of filling in my application

At the question about Previous application details

I made a SET O application through solicitor but they used an old version so was returned to us and then re applied on the correct version of the form

My question is if I need to add details of the application of the wrong version or not? I do not have any reference number for this

Also, I entered the UK on a visit visa in 2006, do I need to add this application details?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon May 20, 2024 1:56 pm

My mother is deceased and I want to leave the details blank

How do I bypass this question?

I do now want to fill in “I do not have my parent’s details”

Any suggestions?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon May 20, 2024 2:11 pm

I’m just looking through the questions

And it asks if I want to add additional applicants?

I need to apply for my sister too but I thought it is individual applications for citizenships?

My sister might have a gap and might have been an overstayer for a bit in the last 10 years, not in the last 5 years. if I add her to my application will it affect my application too?

Also, if I do add my sister, will her possible rejected application for naturalisation go against her citizen application in the future?

Can I add, she has the same immigration history as me, the only thing that’s different is that after our SETO application, I was given a discretionary leave of two years and hers was rejected and she had to sign every week at the immigration local office, can’t remember what they are called.

Every other application we have made at the same time through the same solicitor and applications were made together

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 2:17 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:46 pm
Many thanks for the extended list, much appreciated

I may have to trouble you a bit as I am in process of filling in my application

At the question about Previous application details

I made a SET O application through solicitor but they used an old version so was returned to us and then re applied on the correct version of the form

My question is if I need to add details of the application of the wrong version or not? I do not have any reference number for this Provide URN and dates of the application, if known.

Also, I entered the UK on a visit visa in 2006, do I need to add this application details? No. Only comment on immigration applications done when you arrived to stay in the UK more permanently. Visit visas not required.
Any suggestions?

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:56 pm
My mother is deceased and I want to leave the details blank

How do I bypass this question?

I do now want to fill in “I do not have my parent’s details”

You are not claiming citizenship through your parents therefore you can write N/A

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:11 pm
I’m just looking through the questions

And it asks if I want to add additional applicants?

I need to apply for my sister too but I thought it is individual applications for citizenships? It is but you can submit more than one application at the same time, there are no dependents for citizenship

My sister might have a gap and might have been an overstayer for a bit in the last 10 years, not in the last 5 years. if I add her to my application will it affect my application too? Suggest she works out if she has been an overstayer and wait to apply until she is sure she hasn't overstayed in the last 10 years. If she has her application will be rejected. No impact on your application.

Also, if I do add my sister, will her possible rejected application for naturalisation go against her citizen application in the future? No, but she would lose the fee.

Can I add, she has the same immigration history as me, the only thing that’s different is that after our SETO application, I was given a discretionary leave of two years and hers was rejected and she had to sign every week at the immigration local office, can’t remember what they are called. Would need to know more details about her immigration history, I would advise to postpone her application until that is worked out.

Every other application we have made at the same time through the same solicitor and applications were made together This doesn't matter.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 pm

Apologies for bombarding with more question

But is there a requirement to upload my identity documents which I used when I did my Life in the UK test?

I did my life in the UK test in around 2014

I used my driving licence and just wondered if I may need to upload this too?