ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application - planning ahead - no surname on Indian passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Naturalisation application - planning ahead - no surname on Indian passport

Post by bobcat » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:57 pm

Hello all,

Been reading many posts on ‘no surname’ matter for Indian nationals. Some posts were older than a decade so thought I’ll checkin to see if any one had any recent experiences which they’ll be willing to share. I’m yet to apply to naturalise (eligible soon) but I’m not keen to update my current Indian passport due to planned travel. Will the below option still work in 2024?

1. Apply to naturalise based on current format of name
2. If approved, get the certificate based on current name
3. Apply passport which will have xxx as given name and my current name as surname.
4. Surrender my Indian passport
5. Correct the order of my name by a deed poll (is the unenrolled deed poll?)
6. Reapply passport with deed poll and other supports as requested
7. Apply OCI with corrected passport
8. OCI name will be as per corrected passport

Sorry if this is repetitive question and keen to hear what the timescales were from points 5 to 8 above. Any downfalls to beware of?

Thanks in advance!

BashirB
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation application - planning ahead - no surname on Indian passport

Post by BashirB » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:16 pm

Tatkal will get you your passport in 3 days now. Did you consider going down that route?
Once you factor in the cost of deed poll, time etc, Tatkal fees start looking reasonable.

Also be aware that when you go to apply for OCI, they will ask for naturalisation certificate or UK passport in addition to surrender certificate. There have been instances when OCI has been delayed because of name discrepancy. Note that in Indian passport, surrender certificate, Renunciation certificate and other docs, they will have your old name format. The deed poll in UK does not automatically change your name in Indian paperwork system.

So essentially, you will be applying for OCI in a name format that never existed in Indian records and the additional checks/docs they will ask will take more time than what you are going to save now.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:24 pm

I don’t see why this plan wouldn’t work.

Rj2023
Newly Registered
India

Post by Rj2023 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:28 pm

I was also in similar situation (Surname was blank). I have now received by UK passport and currently going through my passport surrender application. I have followed as below and would suggest same to you.
1. Apply to naturalisation based on your current name in Indian passport.
2. Once this is approved, you will get the certificate as per current name
3. Apply for Surrender of your Indian passport online. Print the online Surrender application, paste your picture and sign both under picture and at the end of application form. Send a copy of this application as evidence for UK passport. Also you can apply for renoucing at the same time, but I didn't send that with UK passport application.
4. Correct your name by a deed poll (unenrolled deed poll is good enough with anyone signing for witnessing)
5. Apply for UK passport in correct given name and surname along with these supporting documents (Cover letter explaining name issue, Indian passport, Surrender Indian passport application form, deed poll, address proof)
6. Book appointment for Cancellation of Indian passport and renouncing your Indian Citizenship
7. Apply for OCI in correct name with UK passport

You don't need to apply for UK passport twice for name correction with above approach.
It's better to surrender Indian passport first, just with Naturalisation Certificate. And then send cancelled Indian passport as proof with UK passport application.
Actually I didn't surrender my Indian passort first, and was asked for the evidence to get UK passport in new name even with deed poll. For evidence, I followed above Step 3. No need to correct Naturalisation Certificate or any other document for name.

All the best!

Vini1981
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vini1981 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:42 am

Rj2023 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:28 pm
I was also in similar situation (Surname was blank). I have now received by UK passport and currently going through my passport surrender application. I have followed as below and would suggest same to you.
1. Apply to naturalisation based on your current name in Indian passport.
2. Once this is approved, you will get the certificate as per current name
3. Apply for Surrender of your Indian passport online. Print the online Surrender application, paste your picture and sign both under picture and at the end of application form. Send a copy of this application as evidence for UK passport. Also you can apply for renoucing at the same time, but I didn't send that with UK passport application.
4. Correct your name by a deed poll (unenrolled deed poll is good enough with anyone signing for witnessing)
5. Apply for UK passport in correct given name and surname along with these supporting documents (Cover letter explaining name issue, Indian passport, Surrender Indian passport application form, deed poll, address proof)
6. Book appointment for Cancellation of Indian passport and renouncing your Indian Citizenship
7. Apply for OCI in correct name with UK passport

You don't need to apply for UK passport twice for name correction with above approach.
It's better to surrender Indian passport first, just with Naturalisation Certificate. And then send cancelled Indian passport as proof with UK passport application.
Actually I didn't surrender my Indian passort first, and was asked for the evidence to get UK passport in new name even with deed poll. For evidence, I followed above Step 3. No need to correct Naturalisation Certificate or any other document for name.

All the best!
Thank you. Not sure I understood.
1. Do you mean you received your naturalization certificate with no surname? I received mine with an *last name*first name
2. And then you submitted the British citizenship application form and submitted your current Indian passport with your naturalization certificate and then you submitted the surrender certificate as proof you were renouncing Indian citizenship when queried.
3. And then you received your British passport with Surname as your Last Name?

Sorry for asking you to explain a bit further but I just went through my naturalization without realising that I had to change my surname in my existing passport and now am figuring out how to get it resolved.

Regards

Rj2023
Newly Registered
India

Post by Rj2023 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:32 am

Hello, See below to answer your queries-
1. My Last name was blank on Indian passport, hence I got my Naturalisation Certificate with *First Name* only, but as last name on Naturalisation Certificate. Name on Indian passport matters, as that will go on UK passport. You don't need to change name on your Naturalisation Certificate.
2. I didn't submit my Surrender Certificate. I thought I could change name via Deed poll only as Indian doesn't allow dual citizenship. But HMP didn't allow and asked for evidence of Indian passport cancellation. So, I have to sent my online printed Surrender application form. So, you have to send some proof that you have been surrendering your passport.
3. You will get same name on UK passport as per your Deed poll . I used my middle name as Surname on first UK passport via deed poll. If I didn't use deed poll, then they would have put XXX for Surname.
Hope this clarifies...

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Post by bobcat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. Few questions please:

1. When you applied to surrender the Indian passport, was that just the application form that was sent to HMP i.e. you still had the physical Indian passport with you? I am just trying to work out if I will be passportless at any given time?

2. What your timeline from getting naturalisation certificate till you got your BP?

3. Do you know if the unenrolled deedpoll is also required to apply for OCI? I read the HCI guidance that if your name as per last held Indian passport is diff then the foreign passport you need to submit proof of name change. Do you know if unenrolled deedpoll is acceptable?

Many thanks in advance!

Rj2023
Newly Registered
India

Post by Rj2023 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:11 am

See below my reponse to your queries-
1. Yes, it was just Surrender passport application sent to HMPO. It does look like official document with unique barcode and High commission header. You do have to send your Indian passport to HMPO for UK passport application.

2. It was 3 weeks including weekends from Citizenship ceremonry to UK Passport delivery. 2-3 days for deed poll. I didn't send Surrender application form in place which did add 3-4 days, otherwise it wouldn't take more than 6-7 days.

3. I did only unenrolled deedpoll. I am in process of surrendering my Indian passport in next 1-2 weeks. I don't think Surrender & renounciation applications require any deedpoll, but I will carry just in case required at the appointment. In both applications, you have to enter your old name only, there is no place to put your new name. Deedpoll may be required for OCI application.

Hope this helps!

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Post by bobcat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:07 pm

Very helpful, thank you!

Helpful if you could post update in the OCI forum on whether unenrolled deedpoll worked for OCI application after you get OCI with name as per BP.

Thanks again!

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Post by bobcat » Wed May 22, 2024 6:05 pm

Got my Bp today and the above steps definitely worked. To summarise for others:

1. Get your naturalisation cert
2. Submit an application to surrender Indian passport on same date as naturalisation date. You will get a PDF of application form with a barcode. Affix your photo and sign as indicated
3. Execute an unenrolled deed poll following day to re-arrange the names as desired. Imp to not execute it before step 2.
4. Apply for BP in the desired name and add a cover note explaining your situation. Enclose the surrender form and deed poll together with the mandatory documents (usually naturalisation cert and Indian passport)

Thanks

cosseeker1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cosseeker1 » Wed May 29, 2024 3:17 pm

Hello Bobcat,

I saw your naturalisation application got approved in the timelines thread and I just wanted to ask about the language requirement as I have the same path as you (tier 2 then ILR). Did you end up using your old IELTS from when you applied for the first tier 2? and in this case, what did you have as answers to the language requirement related questions? Thanks a lot

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Post by bobcat » Wed May 29, 2024 3:29 pm

1. Yes used the same IELTS certificate that I used in my first tier 2 application and all subsequent immigration applications

2. Here is how I responded based on my situation

Degree taught in English - No
Passed an approved Eng language test - yes
Test equivalent to CEFR B1 or higher - yes for me
How did you get your result - certificate
Have you provided evidence in previous application - yes

cosseeker1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cosseeker1 » Wed May 29, 2024 3:34 pm

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for :)