ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Firecracker777
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Firecracker777 » Thu May 09, 2024 4:51 pm

Taken ages but I’ve finally had email confirmation of application being received, one month after delivery.

Applied online: 15/03/24
Application form & Docs posted: 04/04/24
Application form & Docs Delivered: 10/04/24
Confirmation email: 09/05/24
Address Verification: ——
Congrats email: ——-
Cert received: ——-

h_o_cally
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by h_o_cally » Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 pm

Finally got the docs accepted email. My timeline has been updated below. Good luck everyone!

Applied online: March 21st, 2024
Application form & Docs posted: March 22nd, 2024
Application form & Docs Delivered: April 10th, 2024
Confirmation email: May 10th, 2024
Congrats email: ——
Cert received: ——

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm

mmah wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am
Application Based On: grandparents
Applied Date: 04/09/2023 (September)
Application received Date: 04/09/2023
Acknowledgement Date: 22/10/2023
Vetting invitation form (NVB1) received/returned: NOT RECEIVED
eVetting link received: NOT RECEIVED
Approval: N/A
Date of Ceremony: N/A

Based on others in this thread, I would have expected to receive the Vetting Invitation email by February 2024, and it's now the middle of May.

Called the DFA helpline who told me if I have not received the vetting email, my case has not even been opened yet. I provided the agent with my birth registration number, and this was confirmed - case not opened.

I was expecting to receive approval by this or next month. It appears the vetting email can take 6-9 months or longer - there is no typical timeline for it.
Posting this here, as OP's message is confusing.

OP, did you apply for citizenship via DFA, through Foreign Births Register, or via ISD and form 8, after living in Ireland for 5 years?

If it's the former, you don't need eVetting - that's for Irish applications that apply through naturalization. Don't know why an agent said that to you on the phone.

If it's the latter - DFA have no control over it, ISD (immigration service delivery) works on these and they have no phone number to call for citizenship, as far as I know - it was disconnected during COVID-19 and never restored (unless theres a secret number..OP, willing to share?).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mmah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mmah » Tue May 14, 2024 3:43 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm
mmah wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am
Application Based On: grandparents
Applied Date: 04/09/2023 (September)
Application received Date: 04/09/2023
Acknowledgement Date: 22/10/2023

Based on others in this thread, I would have expected to receive the Vetting Invitation email by February 2024, and it's now the middle of May.

Called the DFA helpline who told me if I have not received the vetting email, my case has not even been opened yet. I provided the agent with my birth registration number, and this was confirmed - case not opened.

I was expecting to receive approval by this or next month. It appears the vetting email can take 6-9 months or longer - there is no typical timeline for it.
Posting this here, as OP's message is confusing.

OP, did you apply for citizenship via DFA, through Foreign Births Register, or via ISD and form 8, after living in Ireland for 5 years?

If it's the former, you don't need eVetting - that's for Irish applications that apply through naturalization. Don't know why an agent said that to you on the phone.

If it's the latter - DFA have no control over it, ISD (immigration service delivery) works on these and they have no phone number to call for citizenship, as far as I know - it was disconnected during COVID-19 and never restored (unless theres a secret number..OP, willing to share?).
Hi,

Thank you for clarifying and having only just read through several pages of this thread, I now realise exactly what you have said: e-vetting is not required for my application.

I'm applying for citizenship by descent through the Foreign Births Register.

Based on others timelines in this very useful thread, it looks like roughly 9 months before the "congrats" email. So I should expect that either end of next month or beginning of July based on my October 2023 "documents received" email.

I'm remain anxious all the documents are correct, complete and filled out properly. I'm usually very thorough with all this, but you never know.

The reason why it's more of a problem is I am living overseas until August, so if I have to resubmit especially notarised documents, it is going to be a pain in the a$$.

amnesiac99
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by amnesiac99 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:47 pm

Hi All,

I sent my documents for the FBR application back in November, they were delivered on the 27th of November 2023. I have heard nothing since and assumed they were busy, but looking at this board it seems as if people should get a confirmation email from the irish foreign office that they have the application. Is this correct, should I be worried if I have head nothing 5 months later?

Applied online: 15/03/23
Application form & Docs posted: 29/07/23
Application form & Docs Delivered: 27/011/23
Confirmation email: --

mmah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mmah » Tue May 14, 2024 7:54 pm

amnesiac99 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:47 pm
Hi All,

I sent my documents for the FBR application back in November, they were delivered on the 27th of November 2023. I have heard nothing since and assumed they were busy, but looking at this board it seems as if people should get a confirmation email from the irish foreign office that they have the application. Is this correct, should I be worried if I have head nothing 5 months later?

You should have received the confirmation email within a few weeks of sending your application by post.

I would go onto the DFA.ie website and find the helpline number. Call them and have your Application Number to hand.

They can check the status for you. If it's not received then safe to assume all your documents are lost in the post.

amnesiac99
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by amnesiac99 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:58 pm

mmah wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:54 pm
amnesiac99 wrote:
Hi All,

You should have received the confirmation email within a few weeks of sending your application by post.

I would go onto the DFA.ie website and find the helpline number. Call them and have your Application Number to hand.

They can check the status for you. If it's not received then safe to assume all your documents are lost in the post.
Many thanks for the quick reply, I'll do as you advise, I hope it isn't lost as there are original documents in there, one of them from the 1890s. fingers crossed its a clerical error.

mmah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mmah » Tue May 14, 2024 8:57 pm

amnesiac99 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:58 pm
mmah wrote:
amnesiac99 wrote:
Hi All,

Many thanks for the quick reply, I'll do as you advise, I hope it isn't lost as there are original documents in there, one of them from the 1890s. fingers crossed its a clerical error.
It's probably fine, I have read on various forums that sometimes emails are not sent or they are junked, but the application is fine and progressing.

If the worst case has happened you can easily get "certified originals" as replacements.

The biggest issue is just the frustration, wasted time and expenses getting all of the documents prepared and collated again.

amnesiac99
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by amnesiac99 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:59 am

mmah wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:57 pm
amnesiac99 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:58 pm
mmah wrote:
amnesiac99 wrote:
Hi All,

It's probably fine, I have read on various forums that sometimes emails are not sent or they are junked, but the application is fine and progressing.

If the worst case has happened you can easily get "certified originals" as replacements.

The biggest issue is just the frustration, wasted time and expenses getting all of the documents prepared and collated again.
I've spoken to the dfa and they have confirmed the documents were received and logged on to their system so its all good, he said that I should keep a lookout for email between 9 and 12 months are they were received. Once again thanks for your help.

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Mon May 20, 2024 12:22 am

New passport was sent via registered mail and has been in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) for 3 weeks...not sure if USPS or US customs has possession if it.

Anyone have experience with uber slow passport registered mail delivery within US that has a happy endings? My options are limited, I have kicked off a search, and speaking to the Irish if it doesn't show up after 8 weeks, they will investigate for a month and reissue....lovely.

Who knew that after a year and a half journey the US mail/custons would muck things up

joess
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by joess » Thu May 23, 2024 11:45 am

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help? I have application which I stupidly forgot to have my parent passport countersigned. I received an email from the on 22.03.24 and sent them the missing paperwork electronically (as requested) on 25.03.24.

Does anyone know realistically how much this will push my application back? I have just phoned the FBR helpline and the lady said I've gone back to the back of the queue and it's taking 2 years which I know it's not.

Thanks!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon May 27, 2024 2:38 pm

adlarson wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 12:22 am
New passport was sent via registered mail and has been in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) for 3 weeks...not sure if USPS or US customs has possession if it.

Anyone have experience with uber slow passport registered mail delivery within US that has a happy endings? My options are limited, I have kicked off a search, and speaking to the Irish if it doesn't show up after 8 weeks, they will investigate for a month and reissue....lovely.

Who knew that after a year and a half journey the US mail/custons would muck things up
Happened to me. My passport went through customs but just started looping from Manhattan processing center to Brooklyn processing center-over & over in NYC. USPS is powerless to actually intercept a piece of mail. Customer support could see the problem but do nothing really. Finally, it was sent back to Ireland. I had informed them to expect it. They repackaged it and wrote the delivery address different. Took almost 2 months but I finally received it.
This topped off getting stuck by Brexit deluge of applications then Covid making my FBR journey a 2 year + wait. They printed my FBR certificate in December then shut down for Covid. They finally sent it the next August!
You can try USPS customer service. Maybe they finally can do something about it. Or try to get it sent back.
Not exactly a happy journey but I now have my Irish passport. Oh, they sent back my documents separately but at the same time which arrived in a few days. Such aggravation.

jgclancy....hang in there

ALongWayToTipperary
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ALongWayToTipperary » Wed May 29, 2024 2:05 am

I Finally received all the originals required from GRONI and GRO several weeks ago and paid the application fee a few weeks ago and then on Friday, my solicitor helped me by photocopying and signing anything that needed to be a certified copy for example, passports and in my case, my mother's change of name, and of course signing as a witness on the application.

Due to the bank holiday yesterday (Monday) I decided to post it earlier today at around 3pm.
I was glad to finally have this thing off my back so I could relax for a while. (foreshadowing)

Also I have previously spoke to someone on the FBR hotline regarding me only being able to send a certified copy of my mother's change of name document and from what they told me, I don't see why they would nitpick such document since it's essentially the only document which is impossible to purchase off the internet via the General Register Office or whatever, obviously anyone would be a fool to send the only original that exists.

I'm also rather nervous about the delivery since I paid an arm and a leg for Guaranteed delivery (For Wednesday), and I paid for tracked and signed, I knew it was tracked but the sub-postmaster never even told me about paying for signed as well! This could be troublesome or nothing at all, however I don't see how the courier service would be allowed to deliver to a PO BOX whilst the package requires a signature. In addition to this, the address below:
Foreign Births Registration Section, PO BOX 13003, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin, Ireland
This is the address the application form tells you to send it to, however the sub-postmaster was quite confused at the absence of a postcode (yet still made me pay for signed, very ironic!), An Post's PO BOX system seems to be locked off to Royal Mail as it is handed off to An Post, Royal Mail does not actually deliver the packages themselves in Ireland, therefore the most valuable information on the package from what Royal Mail can understand (and hopefully will) is that the destination is in the town of Balbriggan. I'm hopeful that Royal Mail will hand it over to An Post and An Post will have handled this situation before, but I might have a talk to Royal Mail support about the PO BOX signature situation early tomorrow.

Fingers crossed. :|

Applied online: 27th of April 2024
Application form & Docs posted: 28th of May 2024
Application form & Docs Delivered: Expected at some point on the 29th of May 2024
Confirmation email: ——

ALongWayToTipperary
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ALongWayToTipperary » Wed May 29, 2024 12:58 pm

ALongWayToTipperary wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 2:05 am
I'm also rather nervous about the delivery since I paid an arm and a leg for Guaranteed delivery (For Wednesday)
I must've been a bit tired when I wrote it, it's not next day since its international :lol:, however it is International Tracked and Signed. and In fact about the PO Box, I went on Royal Mail's section for pricing on tracked and signed international and it says they cannot be sent to PO Boxes, you'd think the sub-postmaster would know and especially since she acknowledged the fact it was being sent to a PO BOX.

Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed May 29, 2024 1:21 pm

Wed May 29, 2024 12:58 pm
Wed May 29, 2024 2:05 am
I'm also rather nervous about the delivery since I paid an arm and a leg for Guaranteed delivery (For Wednesday)
I must've been a bit tired when I wrote it, it's not next day since its international :lol:, however it is International Tracked and Signed. and In fact about the PO Box, I went on Royal Mail's section for pricing on tracked and signed international and it says they cannot be sent to PO Boxes, you'd think the sub-postmaster would know and especially since she acknowledged the fact it was being sent to a PO BOX.

Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine.
If it is returned use the address this way:

Foreign Births Registration Section
POB 13003
Balbriggan
Co Dublin
K32 AE 72
Ireland

Hope it gets there though

jgclancy

Shamrock1
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Shamrock1 » Thu May 30, 2024 2:01 pm

Hi, just sending our data for the spreadsheet (3 siblings). Excited to see that applications in August 2023 are beginning to come through so hopefully the wait is nearly over.

Great website btw. Chapeau!

Applied Date: 13/06/2023 (June)
Application received Date: 30/08/2023
Acknowledgement Date: 15/09/2023

Smsms
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Smsms » Thu May 30, 2024 6:59 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick question for everyone. I received my address check email on 09/05/2024.

First question: I assumed that I just reply directly to the email, is that what everyone else did?

Second question: is this a normal length of time to wait for the congratulations email that seems to follow the address check? Looking at the spreadsheet that I found on here most people are hearing back quicker than this?

Thanks ☺️

lukys
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lukys » Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:45 pm

Shamrock1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:01 pm
Hi, just sending our data for the spreadsheet (3 siblings). Excited to see that applications in August 2023 are beginning to come through so hopefully the wait is nearly over.

Great website btw. Chapeau!

Applied Date: 13/06/2023 (June)
Application received Date: 30/08/2023
Acknowledgement Date: 15/09/2023
This thread is for the FBR, which doesn't include evetting or a ceremony, so there'll be a different timeline as on the spreadsheet.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:13 am

Smsms wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 6:59 pm
Hi all,

Just a quick question for everyone. I received my address check email on 09/05/2024.

First question: I assumed that I just reply directly to the email, is that what everyone else did?

Second question: is this a normal length of time to wait for the congratulations email that seems to follow the address check? Looking at the spreadsheet that I found on here most people are hearing back quicker than this?

Thanks ☺️
The time varies a bit and now that they've had a slow down due to volume I think they're just playing catch-up at the moment.

jgclancy

cici3a89
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cici3a89 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:15 pm

HI I was hoping someone might help me.

I am applying for the foreign births register on the basis my granddad was Irish.
so i have ordered a copy of my granddads birth cert & his death cert. is there anything else of his they will need? it might be difficult as he has been dead for some time.

I also need to supply a copy of my dads birth cert which I have ordered and also a photo copy of his passport which also needs to be witnessed. Does person witnessing my dads passport need to stamp it (or provide business card or letterhead) or just just sign it and write out there details?

Thanks in advance.

cici3a89
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: FAQ Foreign Birth Registration

Post by cici3a89 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:28 pm

HI Quick question
ref this section 8. Make sure you use the same witness for everything - stamp not needed but a business card is accepted no problem. I asked them to use the words - certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me; followed by name, job, date and signature for all documents.

i have all my stuff signed and ready to go but regarding my dads photocopy of his passport, will he need his witness to provide a stamp/ business card or can they just certify as you mentioned above and sign?

J_W
Newly Registered
England

Post by J_W » Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:23 pm

cici3a89 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:15 pm
HI I was hoping someone might help me.

I am applying for the foreign births register on the basis my granddad was Irish.
so i have ordered a copy of my granddads birth cert & his death cert. is there anything else of his they will need? it might be difficult as he has been dead for some time.

I also need to supply a copy of my dads birth cert which I have ordered and also a photo copy of his passport which also needs to be witnessed. Does person witnessing my dads passport need to stamp it (or provide business card or letterhead) or just just sign it and write out there details?

Thanks in advance.
Ideally with a copy of your dads identity document you should use a notary public, which will provide it on headed paper, with a seal or stamp. I did that for my dads UK drivers license and it worked with no issues.

If your grandad was married, you need his marriage certificate, as it helps link your mother to you via another chain of verification.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:42 am

@cici3a89 - post moved to general FBR topic for better visibility.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:40 am

Application for a baby of an Irish citizen born abroad.

Also to clear misconceptions in this all applications are shipped to Dublin no matter where you are applying from.

Applied online: 26 July 2023
Application form & Docs posted : 29 July 2023
Application form & Docs Delivered: 05 th of august 2023 at Irish consulate (Mexico)
Confirmation email: —— 30th of august 2023 (From DFA in Ireland)

molio
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by molio » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:58 am

Hi all,

Thank you for the fantastic community effort. I have received contradictory information from the FBR office when I have called up to check on wait times, so this thread and spreadsheet are a great help! I've been told today that I should expect a further 6 months wait, which would take the wait time up to 15 months (from 9-10 months). Does this match with what others have been told?

I'm trying to move to Brussels with my partner and have began receiving job offers that are pending work eligibility, so the uncertainty around the timeline is proving difficult when negotiating with potential employers (employers are generally are very reluctant to pursue visa sponsorship but obviously need a reliable timeline for citizenship).

Applied online: 23/08/23
Application form & Docs posted: 31/08/23
Application form & Docs Delivered: 05/09/23
Confirmation email: 19/09/23