ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from Ancestry Visa to Tier 4 Student Visa Dependent

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PN1991
Newly Registered
Canada

Switch from Ancestry Visa to Tier 4 Student Visa Dependent

Post by PN1991 » Thu May 23, 2024 1:42 pm

Hi all,
I am coming to the end of my Ancestry Visa (expiry August 2024), and need few more months before I decide if I'm staying long term in the UK.

My partner's Tier 4 Student Visa expires December 2024. Is it possible to shift from an Ancestry Visa to becoming a dependent on her visa until December?
After that, depending on her career decision, I will either apply for ILR/Ancestry Renewal or move away with her.

Also - we've been living together for 6+ years with shared bills and housing etc. Can we just prove that, or do we need to register for a civil partnership/get married?

Thanks so much!

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Switch from Ancestry Visa to Tier 4 Student Visa Dependent

Post by sah10406 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:32 am

PN1991 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:42 pm
Is it possible to shift from an Ancestry Visa to becoming a dependent on her visa until December?
Yes.
PN1991 wrote:
we've been living together for 6+ years with shared bills and housing etc. Can we just prove that, or do we need to register for a civil partnership/get married?
Unmarried partners are included.
PN1991 wrote:
After that, depending on her career decision, I will either apply for ILR/Ancestry Renewal or move away with her
ILR on what basis? If you mean on the basis of 5 years on Ancestry, I believe you can only do that if you currently have an Ancestry visa, which you would not. I recommend professional advice before making any decisions.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

vinny

Re: Switch from Ancestry Visa to Tier 4 Student Visa Dependent

Post by vinny » Fri May 24, 2024 11:01 am

Consider the reverse.

If she applies to be your Ancestry dependant, then she may apply for ILR at the same time or shorty after you, subject to UKA 18.3A. or UKA 28.3A, etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.