ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good character requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Good character requirements

Post by alterhase58 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:31 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 pm
Apologies for bombarding with more question

But is there a requirement to upload my identity documents which I used when I did my Life in the UK test? No

I did my life in the UK test in around 2014

I used my driving licence and just wondered if I may need to upload this too? No - just your current passport & BRP/BRC.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon May 20, 2024 8:08 pm

Hello again

My Residence Card states that it is valid until March 2031, on the section where it asks until when my BRP is valid to, do I put this date or December 2024 as that is when all BRP expire?

Also, can someone help me understand that in the application it mainly asks for BRP card whereas I have a BRC CARD, does it mean that mine does not expire on December 2024?

And can I disregard the questions where it asks about BRP card?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon May 20, 2024 11:20 pm

Hi

The letters from Home Office have two reference numbers: “Our Ref” and “Your Ref”, which one do I add?

Do I have to fill in the application in all capital letters?

I have only done the first letters in capital, the rest lower case, is this correct?

I cannot remember if I have given finger prints for some of my applications, I have ticked yes if I thought I did, is this correct or do I leave this blank?

Thanks in advance for your patience!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 1:04 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:08 pm
Hello again

My Residence Card states that it is valid until March 2031, on the section where it asks until when my BRP is valid to, do I put this date or December 2024 as that is when all BRP expire?

Also, can someone help me understand that in the application it mainly asks for BRP card whereas I have a BRC CARD, does it mean that mine does not expire on December 2024?

State what your card says. Disregard everything that doesn't apply to you.
StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 11:20 pm
Hi

The letters from Home Office have two reference numbers: “Our Ref” and “Your Ref”, which one do I add? the application URN

Do I have to fill in the application in all capital letters? Doesn't matter

I have only done the first letters in capital, the rest lower case, is this correct? doesn't matter

I cannot remember if I have given finger prints for some of my applications, I have ticked yes if I thought I did, is this correct or do I leave this blank? explain in a cover note this is the best of your recollection. It doesn't affect your statutory requirements.

All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Thu May 23, 2024 10:12 pm

Hi

Thanks for your reply

I do not have URNs for all of my immigration applications. Some have the regular reference numbers and sometimes there are two, “OUR ref” and “your ref”. I am not sure which one I should add to my application

Regarding professional referee. The referee has given me the address of their office they work from rather than their home address, and there is a question on the application which asks about the referee “Have they lived at this address for three years?” How do I answer this please?

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:04 am
StruggleisReal wrote:
Hello again

StruggleisReal wrote:
Hi

The letters from Home Office have two reference numbers: “Our Ref” and “Your Ref”, which one do I add? the application URN

I have only done the first letters in capital, the rest lower case, is this correct? doesn't matter

I cannot remember if I have given finger prints for some of my applications, I have ticked yes if I thought I did, is this correct or do I leave this blank? explain in a cover note this is the best of your recollection. It doesn't affect your statutory requirements.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri May 24, 2024 7:01 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:12 pm
Hi

Thanks for your reply

I do not have URNs for all of my immigration applications. Some have the regular reference numbers and sometimes there are two, “OUR ref” and “your ref”. I am not sure which one I should add to my application

Provide their ref and elaborate in a cover note, unlikely to affect your application.

Regarding professional referee. The referee has given me the address of their office they work from rather than their home address, and there is a question on the application which asks about the referee “Have they lived at this address for three years?” How do I answer this please? You need their home address.

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:04 am
StruggleisReal wrote:
Hello again

StruggleisReal wrote:
Hi

All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Wed May 29, 2024 11:48 pm

Hello there

I am back again.

Still in the process of completing my application form and I am contemplating whether I have made the right decision filling in the application myself. Solicitor was asking £700 and I am not prepared to pay that much in this economic crisis.

I wasn’t intending on writing a cover letter and wanted to keep the application as simple as possible.

But I need to explain that I cannot find reference number for some of my applications. I have my SAR results back and I am struggling to find any reference number for certain application, it is just not user friendly! Also, I have gone through my paperwork and have found various reference numbers for the same application. How do I go about selecting the one to mention in the application? Do I use the reference the Home Office have used in the acknowledgment letter or the correspondence letters after that? And how do I explain this in a cover letter?

For any application I cannot remember if I have done a biometrics or not , is it best I leave this blank and how do I mention this in a cover letter?

If someone has some wordings which can be used in a cover letter that would be much appreciated.

And since I am writing a cover letter, what else do I need to add? Does anyone have a standard intro or the finishing paragraph I can use?

English is my third language and I am worried I might write something wrong to jeopardise my application.

Any input would be highly welcomed.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Thu May 30, 2024 12:16 am

Also, is it possible to have same HO reference number for two different applications. I have gone through my paperwork and have seen that the HO reference mentioned in two different application is the same.

On one of my letter, there is no reference number at all cut is just blank.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 30, 2024 5:17 am

This may be your personal reference which may stay the same, from application to application, like a customer reference number.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 11:48 pm
Hello there

I am back again.

Still in the process of completing my application form and I am contemplating whether I have made the right decision filling in the application myself. Solicitor was asking £700 and I am not prepared to pay that much in this economic crisis.

I wasn’t intending on writing a cover letter and wanted to keep the application as simple as possible.

But I need to explain that I cannot find reference number for some of my applications. I have my SAR results back and I am struggling to find any reference number for certain application, it is just not user friendly! Also, I have gone through my paperwork and have found various reference numbers for the same application. How do I go about selecting the one to mention in the application? Do I use the reference the Home Office have used in the acknowledgment letter or the correspondence letters after that? And how do I explain this in a cover letter?

For any application I cannot remember if I have done a biometrics or not , is it best I leave this blank and how do I mention this in a cover letter?

If someone has some wordings which can be used in a cover letter that would be much appreciated.

And since I am writing a cover letter, what else do I need to add? Does anyone have a standard intro or the finishing paragraph I can use?

English is my third language and I am worried I might write something wrong to jeopardise my application.

Any input would be highly welcomed.

It won't jeopardise your application, it's not a statutory requirement.
You can just write a standard letter, mention you are applying for citizenship, and that you provided your immigration details at the best of your recollection (if you want you can further elaborate on the same ref number or the missing ref number). This won't in any way affect your application.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Thu May 30, 2024 11:46 pm

Hi

Just to put my mind at peace, can someone please confirm that I do not need to provide any details of my EEA national such as they exercising Treaty Right before I was granted settled status in March 2021?

I have just seen a video on YouTube where a solicitor is mentioning about lawful residence for EEA nationals and they need to provide evidence that were in the UK Lawfully 10years before making a citizen application.

I have been working for my current employer since 2022. Will my P60 be sufficient or do I need a letter confirming my start date from my employer?

Do I need to submit any P60 from me previous employment to cover for the last 10years?

The form is asking about Tax office Reference number, is this the same as Employer PAYE reference?

My qualifying period is 5years, do I only upload the passport covering the last 5 years or to be on the save side do I upload the passports covering the last 10years?

I am getting referees sign the declaration forms, how soon after they have signed do I need to submit my application?

A question in the application asks if I currently hold a BRP. I have a residence card, do I select Yes or No?

Once the application is submitted, how long do I have to submit my documents?

The Biometric appointments, are they free or is there a charge for it? And right after submitting my application, can I book a biometric appointment?

Many thanks for your patience with me.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri May 31, 2024 7:43 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 11:46 pm
Hi

Just to put my mind at peace, can someone please confirm that I do not need to provide any details of my EEA national such as they exercising Treaty Right before I was granted settled status in March 2021? the 5 years before your ILR are already considered lawful residence as you were granted ILR at the end. You don't need to prove anything, see guidance here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bookmark14

I have just seen a video on YouTube where a solicitor is mentioning about lawful residence for EEA nationals and they need to provide evidence that were in the UK Lawfully 10years before making a citizen application.

I have been working for my current employer since 2022. Will my P60 be sufficient or do I need a letter confirming my start date from my employer? You need to prove 3 or 5 years if your passport doesn't get stamped so provide the appropriate amount of P60s.

Do I need to submit any P60 from me previous employment to cover for the last 10years? see above

The form is asking about Tax office Reference number, is this the same as Employer PAYE reference? Ask your HR department

My qualifying period is 5years, do I only upload the passport covering the last 5 years or to be on the save side do I upload the passports covering the last 10years? If your passport gets stamped no need to provide a P60 or proof of employment. 5 years is enough

I am getting referees sign the declaration forms, how soon after they have signed do I need to submit my application? Dated in the last month or so is more than OK

A question in the application asks if I currently hold a BRP. I have a residence card, do I select Yes or No? Select Yes and explain you have a BRC.

Once the application is submitted, how long do I have to submit my documents? Until 48 hours to your appointment

The Biometric appointments, are they free or is there a charge for it? And right after submitting my application, can I book a biometric appointment? Some are free and some are charged, it depends on availability at each venue and how quickly you want to attend one. Once you pay for the application you will be sent a link to sign up to UKVCAS to book your appointment.

Many thanks for your patience with me.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Fri May 31, 2024 9:43 am

Many thanks for your response

The required document list at the end of the application, is this sufficient if I just follow this?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Fri May 31, 2024 9:55 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:17 am
This may be your personal reference which may stay the same, from application to application, like a customer reference number.
Do I use this personal reference number or the reference specific for the applications?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Fri May 31, 2024 9:58 am

If I don’t find a suitable date for the biometric appointment can I come back and book this as at a later date or do I have to book it straightaway after completing the application form?

And once the biometric appointment is booked, can I change it or is it best not to change it?

And other than my passport and the letter do I need to take anything else to the appointment?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri May 31, 2024 11:16 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:58 am
If I don’t find a suitable date for the biometric appointment can I come back and book this as at a later date or do I have to book it straightaway after completing the application form?

And once the biometric appointment is booked, can I change it or is it best not to change it?

And other than my passport and the letter do I need to take anything else to the appointment?
You can come back to UKVCAS and book an appointment later - you must attend an appointment by 45 calendar days of the application. Free appointments are released for 28 days in advance at 9am every day and paid appointments are released at midnight every day, or as they become available because of cancellations. You are free to change your appointment but be mindful of the time limit. Only passport and email inviting you to the appointment (which you will receive when you book) are needed, you will upload the cover letter with the rest of your documents ahead of attending.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:31 pm

Thank you, you have been a great help

Please can you also tell me if I should be using my customer reference number or the reference number specific for the applications, whatever I can find?

And If I don’t remember if I have done biometrics or not, do I leave it blank or shall I tick ‘No’ ?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:41 pm

Also, shall I include a list of evidence or documentation I am submitting along with my cover letter?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:56 pm

When I come to upload my documents is it best to upload the type of documents separately eg. Passports separate, Life in the UK test separate etc as I can also create one PDF file which contains every evidence?

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:31 pm

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:31 pm

Please can you also tell me if I should be using my customer reference number or the reference number specific for the applications, whatever I can find?

And If I don’t remember if I have done biometrics or not, do I leave it blank or shall I tick ‘No’ ?
On a couple of documents I have also seen case ID under reference number, can I add this or just reference number

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:54 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:31 pm

And If I don’t remember if I have done biometrics or not, do I leave it blank or shall I tick ‘No’ ? Provide what you have or remember. If not available or not remembered state so.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:55 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:41 pm
Also, shall I include a list of evidence or documentation I am submitting along with my cover letter?
You may do so.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:56 am

StruggleisReal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:56 pm
When I come to upload my documents is it best to upload the type of documents separately eg. Passports separate, Life in the UK test separate etc as I can also create one PDF file which contains every evidence?
Separately and each one named as per what it is.

StruggleisReal

Post by StruggleisReal » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am

Thank you, much appreciated

Who do I address the cover letter too?

Is the below correct?

Home Office
PO Box 306
Dept 110
Liverpool
L2 0QN

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:32 pm

Seems ok, it won't affect your application if you put the wrong address anyway.