ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

mexican married to french and living in the uk

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

doudouuu
Newly Registered
Mexico

mexican married to french and living in the uk

Post by doudouuu » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:31 am

Hi,

I want to apply for British citizenship but I have two big doubts. Hopefully someone can help me.

Im unsure if the fact that I had different types of visa will be a problem.

Im mexican and my husband Fench. I have been living in the Uk for 7years and my husband has been living and working in the uk for 10 years.

I have had 3 types of visa so far...
I first had student visa
then a visa as a familily member of a person with settlement? (I could apply for a cheaper type of visa, as a family memeber of a european citizen... but I didnt know about that and I was confused with all that visa information)
and for the last 2 years? I have a visa as a family member of a european citizen...

So the question is. Do you think Im eligible to apply for a permanent residence document? regardless I had different types of visa?? Or the 5 years period that gives you permanent residence status has to be under the same type of visa?

And my second question is very related...

I want to apply to citizenship with a permanent residence document.. I think this is the fastest way as if I apply througt settlement, I need to wait a year more...

I read that you need to prove you have been living in the uk for 6 years to apply for citizenship inmediatly after getting the permanent residence document. I have been her for 7 years so thats ok. BUT I havent been married to what they call the european sponsor (as Im a full time mum) for 6 years. Our wedding anniversary number 6 will not be until december this year.

It is confusing.... I know... (and much more frustrating not to understand all this papers) but hopefully I managed to write down my ideas properly and someone can help me understanding if Im a candidate to get the British citizenship...or if it is better to wait.

Thankyou in advance

dulce

kamoe
European Union

Re: mexican married to french and living in the uk

Post by kamoe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36 am

doudouuu wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:31 am
Do you think Im eligible to apply for a permanent residence document? regardless I had different types of visa?? Or the 5 years period that gives you permanent residence status has to be under the same type of visa?
The 5 years count from the date you became the family member of a EU national, if that EU national was exercising treaty rights in the UK at that point (e.g. in full time study or work, self-dependent person or job seeker) and continues to do so. So if for example your husband has been in uninterrupted work in the UK throughout the duration of your marriage, then your 5 years start on your wedding date. No need to have had a visa or residence card for it to start counting.
I want to apply to citizenship with a permanent residence document.. I think this is the fastest way as if I apply througt settlement, I need to wait a year more...

I read that you need to prove you have been living in the uk for 6 years to apply for citizenship inmediatly after getting the permanent residence document. I have been her for 7 years so thats ok. BUT I havent been married to what they call the european sponsor (as Im a full time mum) for 6 years. Our wedding anniversary number 6 will not be until december this year.
This means you are already eligible for Permanent Residence and can apply for that now. You will become eligible for British Citizenship one year after the date your Permanent Residence is backdated (usually your wedding date + 5 years, so you'll likely be eligible for BC on your wedding anniversary number 6).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.