ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Country of Origin Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Love_GB
Mood:
United Kingdom

Country of Origin Passport

Post by Love_GB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:39 pm

Hope everyone is well,
A question for a friend,
Can he request his Country of Origin passport after he has had his British passport issued?
He had a home office travel document which had been submitted to HM Passport Office when he applied for a British Passport.
Is he still allowed to visit his country of origin as he had been in SET(P), ILR and now a British Citizen?
Thank you All

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Country of Origin Passport

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:40 am

Why would he want his Country of Origin passport back for a Country he faces persecution?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Love_GB
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Love_GB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:45 am

Amber wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:40 am
Why would he want his Country of Origin passport back for a Country he faces persecution?

Hi Amber
Thank you for the reply,
That is why I asked his question on this form, as I was not sure which answer to give him.
He thought after getting British citizenship and British passport he can travel back being British citizenship as he is no longer having a refugee state ,
if he did ask for his passport to be back , would that cause any issue?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:49 am

He is free to travel, but that’s not what you asked. He wants his COO passport and I asked why? Does he no longer face persecution in his COO and did he declare that when he applied SET(P)?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Love_GB
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Love_GB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:53 am

Amber wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:49 am
He is free to travel, but that’s not what you asked. He wants his COO passport and I asked why? Does he no longer face persecution in his COO and did he declare that when he applied

Thank you for the reply ,

The situation, risks and all reasons are still the same

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:48 pm

It may be worth looking at this page: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship
What would concern me is this statement:
"As a dual national you cannot get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship."
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Love_GB wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:39 pm
Hope everyone is well,
A question for a friend,
Can he request his Country of Origin passport after he has had his British passport issued?
He had a home office travel document which had been submitted to HM Passport Office when he applied for a British Passport.
Is he still allowed to visit his country of origin as he had been in SET(P), ILR and now a British Citizen?
Thank you All
Hello
Being an ex refugee now a British you can ask home office to return you country of origin passport.Or you can apply from your embassy to renew your passport.There are many reasons to return to home country after becoming British .For example situation in your home country is improved or visiting old parents.Many refugees do return home countries after becoming British or any other nationality.In USA the govt website clearly says to refugees that you can only go back to your home country once becoming US citizen.There is no need to listen to different advises.It is true if there is no change in country's situation then HO can ask questions but not not necessarily will revoke British nationality but if there are changes in country's situation or personal circumstances are serious that you have to see your family then it is worth going back home.

Love_GB
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Love_GB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 pm

London22 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:19 pm
Love_GB wrote:
Hope everyone is well,
A question for a friend,
Thank you All
Hello
Being an ex refugee now a British you can ask home office to return you country of origin passport.Or you can apply from your embassy to renew your passport.There are many reasons to return to home country after becoming British .For example situation in your home country is improved or visiting old parents.Many refugees do return home countries after becoming British or any other nationality.In USA the govt website clearly says to refugees that you can only go back to your home country once becoming US citizen.There is no need to listen to different advises.It is true if there is no change in country's situation then HO can ask questions but not not necessarily will revoke British nationality but if there are changes in country's situation or personal circumstances are serious that you have to see your family then it is worth going back home.

Hello London22,
Thank you for the reply, very much appreciated,
it is really concerning issue, I think no one would like to stay in a country where there are risks and safety concern, sometimes only family issues and people want to visit their families.
London22; while looking at the form I have seen a discussion about this and many people advised against asking HO to return the country of origin passport , when I was asked this a question by a friend I had no definite answer and I really thought as being British citizenship he had lost his refugee state and he could obtain his Country of origin passport and can travel any time.

Love_GB
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Love_GB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:53 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:48 pm
It may be worth looking at this page: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship
What would concern me is this statement:
"As a dual national you cannot get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship."
Hello alterhase58
Point you mentioned is very good and thank you for brining this

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:33 pm

Love_GB wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 pm
London22 wrote:
Love_GB wrote:
Hope everyone is well,
A question for a friend,
Thank you All
Hello

Hello London22,
it is really concerning issue, I think no one would like to stay in a country where there are risks and safety concern, sometimes only family issues and people want to visit their families.
London22; while looking at the form I have seen a discussion about this and many people advised against asking HO to return the country of origin passport , when I was asked this a question by a friend I had no definite answer and I really thought as being British citizenship he had lost his refugee state and he could obtain his Country of origin passport and can travel any time.
Hello Love_GB
Once someone isn't a refugee anymore i.e refugee status is revoked by home office by naturalizing the person as British then applying the same refugee rules on themselves being ex refugees is stupid.Many refugees return to home countries after naturalization.When you are not a refugee anymore no one can stop you to go to your own embassy to obtain a new passport if HO doesn't return the old one.In many cases HO does return COO passports.A refugee doesn't mean a prisoner who can't visit his country.Once conditions are changed refugees do visit back home.I asked this question to many lawyers &99% answered there is no issue after naturalization &if circumstances are changed this is itself an indication to visit back home.Goodluck &share your story after visit back home.

Love_GB
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Love_GB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 pm

London22 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:33 pm
Love_GB wrote:
London22 wrote:
Love_GB wrote:
Hope everyone is well,
A question for a friend,
Thank you All
Hello

Hello London22,
Hello Love_GB
Once someone isn't a refugee anymore i.e refugee status is revoked by home office by naturalizing the person as British then applying the same refugee rules on themselves being ex refugees is stupid.Many refugees return to home countries after naturalization.When you are not a refugee anymore no one can stop you to go to your own embassy to obtain a new passport if HO doesn't return the old one.In many cases HO does return COO passports.A refugee doesn't mean a prisoner who can't visit his country.Once conditions are changed refugees do visit back home.I asked this question to many lawyers &99% answered there is no issue after naturalization &if circumstances are changed this is itself an indication to visit back home.Goodluck &share your story after visit back home.

Hello London22,
Thank you once again for the reply, always appreciated,
I was just trying to help a friend who asked me the question and wanted an answer that I was not sure of.
He is a bit concerned about asking the HO to return his Country of Origin Passport in case that triggers something that might be understood wrongly.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Love_GB wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 pm
London22 wrote:
Love_GB wrote:
London22 wrote:

Hello

Hello London22,
Hello Love_GB

Hello London22,
I was just trying to help a friend who asked me the question and wanted an answer that I was not sure of.
He is a bit concerned about asking the HO to return his Country of Origin Passport in case that triggers something that might be understood wrongly.
Hello Love_GB
Sometimes people make problems for themselves by their own acts.If your friend is British now &no more a refugee then simple solution to a new passport is to go to own embassy &obtain a new passport.HO has nothing to do with it now if HO has a problem why they have given a refugee a British passport by revoking his refugee status?There is no issue at all in obtaining a new passport from own embassy.It is a psychological thing the fear of losing something coming from the time of refugee leave.As that time is over hence the person is no more a refugee so no refugee rules apply on that person.

Love_GB
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Love_GB » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 pm

London22 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm
Love_GB wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 pm
London22 wrote:
Love_GB wrote:

Hello Love_GB

Hello London22,
Hello Love_GB
Sometimes people make problems for themselves by their own acts.If your friend is British now &no more a refugee then simple solution to a new passport is to go to own embassy &obtain a new passport.HO has nothing to do with it now if HO has a problem why they have given a refugee a British passport by revoking his refugee status?There is no issue at all in obtaining a new passport from own embassy.It is a psychological thing the fear of losing something coming from the time of refugee leave.As that time is over hence the person is no more a refugee so no refugee rules apply on that person.

Hello London22,
you are brilliant, you’ve tried your best , Thank you for the good explanation