ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Post by mudkicker » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:11 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if the current turnaround times are still correct. It says that in 20 working days a first time ppasport application is finalised.

Another question is how long does it take if the status of the application is changed to Processing Application (the one after your documents are in verification)?

Thanks for replies.

meself2
Ireland

Re: How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:48 am

mudkicker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:11 pm
I'm wondering if the current turnaround times are still correct. It says that in 20 working days a first time ppasport application is finalised.
It's often correct, but! they tend to ask for missing documents at the end of this timeline, which adds another month. So gather your documents carefully and send originals, where you can (eg naturalization cert).
mudkicker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:11 pm
Another question is how long does it take if the status of the application is changed to Processing Application (the one after your documents are in verification)?
Depends; don't think it matters really.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mudkicker » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm

Thanks for your reply. I sent almost everything in original or certified copies - fingers crossed that they don't ask for more... Let's see how that goes then! :)

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:43 pm

For what it is worth, I submitted my passport application online on 19 February, they day I got my certificate. They got my documents on 21 February. My estimated issue date for my passport book is 21 March. As of today my documents are still being verified.

I used a certified copy of my certificate and a regular photocopy of my in date public services card, both after checking with a DFA agent to make sure that they were acceptable. I did not send in my original non Irish passport, as the same agent told me that with an in date public services card I didn't need to.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:08 pm

archermoo wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:43 pm
I used a certified copy of my certificate
That might be a problem.
When I applied (October), they couldn't verify the cooy of cert -> if you sent a copy, you would've been asked to send an original anyway.
Hopefully they fixed it already, but it might still happen!
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:34 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:08 pm
archermoo wrote:
That might be a problem.
When I applied (October), they couldn't verify the cooy of cert -> if you sent a copy, you would've been asked to send an original anyway.
Hopefully it won't be a problem. The colour copy is very clear, and it is stamped and signed by a solicitor attesting that it is a true copy of the original. And the instructions when applying online are very clear that a certified copy of the certificate is acceptable. I have no interest in sending the original in, since they also make it very clear that if it is lost or damaged that they will not replace it.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:33 am

archermoo wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:34 pm
meself2 wrote:
archermoo wrote:
That might be a problem.
Hopefully it won't be a problem. The colour copy is very clear, and it is stamped and signed by a solicitor attesting that it is a true copy of the original. And the instructions when applying online are very clear that a certified copy of the certificate is acceptable. I have no interest in sending the original in, since they also make it very clear that if it is lost or damaged that they will not replace it.
It isn’t about the quality of the copy. Passport Office individually verify the authenticity of each copied naturalisation cert with ISD. If ISD are too busy to reply applicants are required to send the original in to get a passport. If ISD verify then no original needs to be sent.

kzz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kzz » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:12 am

Passport Office individually verify the authenticity of each copied naturalisation cert with ISD. If ISD are too busy to reply applicants are required to send the original in to get a passport. If ISD verify then no original needs to be sent.
This is the part I don't quite understand. If they still need to verify the authenticity of the copied naturalisation cert directly with ISD , why would they bother to ask it to be certified by the solicitor in the first place (if people don't want to send in the original cert, which I totally understand) ?

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:45 am

kzz wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:12 am
Passport Office individually verify the authenticity of each copied naturalisation cert with ISD. If ISD are too busy to reply applicants are required to send the original in to get a passport. If ISD verify then no original needs to be sent.
This is the part I don't quite understand. If they still need to verify the authenticity of the copied naturalisation cert directly with ISD , why would they bother to ask it to be certified by the solicitor in the first place (if people don't want to send in the original cert, which I totally understand) ?
I’ve long stopped expecting any of these process to be sensible. 😅 I presume it is simply a filter that costs the department nothing but offers a slight disincentive to fraud. Or it has no logic at all.

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mudkicker » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:18 am

My status is currently here:

Application received: 15/02/2024
Estimated* issue date: 15/03/2024

Processing application
Your application is being processed
--> this changed on March 4th.

16/02/2024
Processing application
We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

15/02/2024
Alert
We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:59 pm

mudkicker wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:18 am
My status is currently here:

Application received: 15/02/2024
Estimated* issue date: 15/03/2024

Processing application
--> this changed on March 4th.

16/02/2024
Processing application
We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

15/02/2024
Alert
We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
My status:

Application received: 19/02/2024
Estimated issue date: 21/03/2024

07/03/2024: Processing application: Your application is being processed.
21/02/2024: Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
19/02/2024: Alert: We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

wen123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wen123 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:06 pm

Mine is as follows:

Today
07/03/2024
Processing application

3 weeks 1 day ago
14/02/2024
Processing application

3 weeks 2 days ago
13/02/2024
Alert

Mark B
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mark B » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:04 pm

2 days past the target issue date of 05/03/2024

Story so far:-

07/03/2024
Processing application
Your application is being processed (Since around 16/02/2024)

06/02/2024
Processing application

Posted 29/01/24

17/01/2024
Alert

Took the risk and sent all original documents

Mark B

giant
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by giant » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:52 pm

I sent in a certified copy of my naturalization cert and today (the day before the first 4 weeks was up) was asked for the original as ISD couldn’t validate. My partner submitted docs early last week so we’re going to send her original cert along now.

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mudkicker » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:08 pm

I was able to contact them thru Webchat yesterday and they told me that the issue date is generally accurate unless your documents are not problematic - I also sent original certificate of naturalization and certified passport copies.

Let's see if they're true to their word.

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mudkicker » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:02 pm

Also, interesting to hear that the Step 2 - Verification of documents has passed to processing but can they still ask for extra documentation after that step?

ackk
Ireland

Post by ackk » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:12 pm

mudkicker wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:02 pm
Also, interesting to hear that the Step 2 - Verification of documents has passed to processing but can they still ask for extra documentation after that step?
Yes, They can still ask for more extra documentation which makes the whole process longer. :shock:

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mudkicker » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:37 pm

Mark B wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:04 pm

Mark B
Let us know if you have any further delays/updates please Mark B, I have waited my daughter's passport for 3 months, don't want to repeat that again :cry:

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mudkicker » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:52 pm

I'm really curious if anyone from the Dec 18/19 ceremonies received their passport, would be good to get their timeline in the new forum topic here:
ireland/first-time-passport-application ... 44430.html

Mark B
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mark B » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:16 pm

mudkicker wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:37 pm
Mark B wrote:

Mark B
Let us know if you have any further delays/updates please Mark B, I have waited my daughter's passport for 3 months, don't want to repeat that again :cry:
My witness was phoned this morning (11th March) - asked if they had signed my witness form and had also seen all the supporting documents.

Status has now changed to "Being printed"

mudkicker
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mudkicker » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:08 pm

Mark B wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:16 pm
mudkicker wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Mark B
My witness was phoned this morning (11th March) - asked if they had signed my witness form and had also seen all the supporting documents.

Whoa! Great news! :) Congrats Mark B! fingers crossed that we get it soon, too!

Mark B
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mark B » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:49 pm

mudkicker wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:08 pm
Mark B wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:16 pm
mudkicker wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Mark B

Whoa! Great news! :) Congrats Mark B! fingers crossed that we get it soon, too!
Many thanks :D

Barely had the ink dried on my last posting the status had changed from printing to "has been despatched"!

Waitingforcert
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Waitingforcert » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:13 pm

archermoo wrote:
meself2 wrote:
archermoo wrote:
That might be a problem.
That's great to hear that it is possible to send them a certified copy of the Certificate. I wasn't sure. Thanks.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:23 am

Waitingforcert wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:13 pm
archermoo wrote:
meself2 wrote:
archermoo wrote:
That might be a problem.
That's great to hear that it is possible to send them a certified copy of the Certificate. I wasn't sure. Thanks.
I don't think they fixed their issues as I've heard about people being asked for original recently. Unless you have a month to spare, better to send an original.

wen123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wen123 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:32 am

One day past the estimated date and application is still under processing.

Has anyone had any luck? I honestly can't believe this lengthy process after having gone almost 3 years of citizenship application.

It boggles the mind. I have never seen such levels of inefficiency. :cry: