ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship by naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sirdavos
Newly Registered
Turkey

Irish citizenship by naturalisation

Post by sirdavos » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:39 pm

Hi,

I've been working in Ireland 4.5 years. I've come to Ireland with critical skills visa. I've hold stamp1 for 2 years then stamp4 for the rest. I've got married 1 year later and my wife joined me in Ireland. She is living in Ireland for 3.5 year now. She is a holder of stamp1g visa during this period.

After 6 months, I'll be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship and I'm trying to understand what is the best strategy for my wife's citizenship application. I believe she could apply for citizenship, if I get mine since we are married more than 3 years, is that correct?
Or she can wait for 1.5 year and complete 5 years here and apply for citizenship.

Does one of these options has advantage on another?

Thanks

AlmostIrish_111
Ireland

Re: Irish citizenship by naturalisation

Post by AlmostIrish_111 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:00 am

Well, the difference between both of your timelines is just one year, and your plan for her to apply based on your newly granted citizenship sits on the assumption that you will be granted the naturalization, and will receive your certificate, within less than 1 year.

Given that the chance of this happening is quite low, I would suggest that she applies based on her 5 years in Ireland, and not wait for your citizenship to be granted.

Unless your plan is for her to not be in Ireland for the full next 1.5 year, then you may be better off with her applying based on your citizenship.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:44 am

I concur with the above - it takes about 2 years to gain citizenship, from application to certificate. It'll be easier for her just to wait out the time and apply in her own right.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:00 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:44 am
I concur with the above - it takes about 2 years to gain citizenship, from application to certificate. It'll be easier for her just to wait out the time and apply in her own right.
Interesting. I thought this was not possible. So my wife is gonna hopefully get her citizenship in 6 months and we are married for 4 years with me in the country for 4 years this July. Can I apply right after she gets her naturalisation certificate? I thought you can only go through that route if my wife was already a citizen when we got married.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:51 pm

Leo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:00 pm
meself2 wrote:
Interesting. I thought this was not possible. So my wife is gonna hopefully get her citizenship in 6 months and we are married for 4 years with me in the country for 4 years this July. Can I apply right after she gets her naturalisation certificate? I thought you can only go through that route if my wife was already a citizen when we got married.
You can.
She is an Irish citizen? Yes.
You're legally married for 3+ years? Yes.
All boxes ticked.

ISD responded affirmatively when asked - see
ireland/application-for-those-married-t ... l#p2105492
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:47 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:51 pm
Leo99 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
You can.
All boxes ticked.

Wow. Thanks a mill. When someone gets naturalisation certificate she will become Irish citizen or should I wait for her to get her passport before I apply ?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:24 pm

Leo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:47 pm
meself2 wrote:
Leo99 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
You can.
All boxes ticked.

Wow. Thanks a mill. When someone gets naturalisation certificate she will become Irish citizen or should I wait for her to get her passport before I apply ?
Certificate should be enough - that's what signifies her citizenship, not the passport.

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:21 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:24 pm
Leo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:47 pm
meself2 wrote:
Leo99 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
You can.
All boxes ticked.

Certificate should be enough - that's what signifies her citizenship, not the passport.

Thank You.

sirdavos
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by sirdavos » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:17 pm

AlmostIrish_111 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:00 am
Well, the difference between both of your timelines is just one year, and your plan for her to apply based on your newly granted citizenship sits on the assumption that you will be granted the naturalization, and will receive your certificate, within less than 1 year.

Given that the chance of this happening is quite low, I would suggest that she applies based on her 5 years in Ireland, and not wait for your citizenship to be granted.

Unless your plan is for her to not be in Ireland for the full next 1.5 year, then you may be better off with her applying based on your citizenship.
I see, thank you for your response.
When I apply for citizenship, will i be able to renew my stamp4 in the meantime if my stamp4 expires?
Then my wife could cont. to renew her stam1g?

AlmostIrish_111
Ireland

Post by AlmostIrish_111 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:07 pm

sirdavos wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:17 pm
When I apply for citizenship, will i be able to renew my stamp4 in the meantime if my stamp4 expires?
You need to keep a valid visa throughout the whole process.

You should be able to renew your stamp 4 and your wife to renew her dependent visa. When you apply you need to provide proof of a current valid visa, and if your visa is about to expire during the process, then you should renew it and send a copy of the new one to the naturalisation department.

Hope this is helpful.

sirdavos
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by sirdavos » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:22 pm

AlmostIrish_111 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:07 pm
sirdavos wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:17 pm
You need to keep a valid visa throughout the whole process.

You should be able to renew your stamp 4 and your wife to renew her dependent visa. When you apply you need to provide proof of a current valid visa, and if your visa is about to expire during the process, then you should renew it and send a copy of the new one to the naturalisation department.

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you. I understand.
Just to clarify, Let's say I got my citizenship while my wife is in ireland for 4 years and 9 months. Then when she reaches 5 year, she will apply. In this scenerio, will she lose her rights because she will be spouse of irish citizen? I know it's little bit weird but we heard a similar situation like this and I'm confused.

AlmostIrish_111
Ireland

Post by AlmostIrish_111 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:25 pm

Good question.

My answer is: "I don't know, better check with a solicitor."