ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need information regarding Retention

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dunner
Newly Registered

Need information regarding Retention

Post by dunner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:04 am

My question is;
what is basic requirement for retention. one my friend refused for retention visa. he and his wife live together for 5 years, she is still in country and working so far.

Now i would like to discuss my situation, I got my separation letter in start of December, would like to send my retention application, my ex-wife still living in country and working as well and we were lived together for four years.

Anyone has suggestion for me, what should i do?
Thanks in advance.

noajthan

Re: Need information regarding Retention

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:18 am

Start by reading Directive 2004/38/EC.
Then check with INIS how its transposed into Irish law.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:07 am

See link below of a retention refusal due to applicant not being divorced (separation doesn't seem to be enough anymore).

http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 22081.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Yes Separation orders don't work any longer since the decision of the European Court of Justice in the case of Singh.

I had updated the board by putting up a sticky topic on this issue in the Spring of this year, but unfortunately the forum was corrupted and some or in fact all of those sticky topic were lost in the process.

I shall update on the position in Ireland in regards to Retention of Residence, and the changing caselaw, when i find sometime in the new year.

The situation is almost impossible in Ireland, I tried doing a divorce for a couple who had underwent domestic violence from her husband, and it took 3 years, despite the hardship of the woman.

The department of Justice surely need to work on changing the law, but i do not think they are in any hurry to change it for people seeking retention of residence, in fact i think the department is happy about this appalling situation.

Singh was simply the icing on the case, as the courts in Ireland had enormous sympathy for the plight of these people not able to exercise their rights.

However unlike in the UK, if a divorce is file after 4 years of marriage, a person will qualify, as per singh, even if a certificate of divorce is not yet issued.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors