ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse: Indefinite Leave to Remain, but left UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Spouse: Indefinite Leave to Remain, but left UK

Post by shrubbery » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi,
I just found out about the post-2012 spouse visa rules and was a bit concerned. My situation is this: I'm a UK national, born and raised in the UK. My wife is Chilean, we married in 2007 and lived in the UK, and my wife got Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2009. We have a daughter born in 2010 in the UK. In December 2012 we left the UK to live in Chile and we intend to stay here for the foreseeable future. However, one day we'll probably return to the UK, maybe in five or ten years, I don't know, but I'd like to have the option open. I understand that the Indefinite Leave to Remain expires if you live outside the UK for a certain period, so presumably my wife would have to reapply for a spouse visa if we returned to the UK in a few years? If so, would she have to apply under the new rules, with the financial requirements? I saw that if you had applied before 2012 the old rules still apply, but does that include if your IDLtR expired and you are reapplying? TIA.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Spouse: Indefinite Leave to Remain, but left UK

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:53 pm

I think you have to be careful here, generally ILR 'times out' after two years, but can be 'reactivated' by returning to UK to resume residency.

This is where it would get dicey, since a visit to UK isn't returning as a resident and the I/O would most likely admit her as a visitor (if Chileans need a visa), effectively removing ILR, or bounce her (if a visit visa is required). SO you need to resume permanent residence in UK and get her Naturalised ASAP.

Otherwise it's a re-app under new rules when you are ready to return and all the financial requirements etc...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Post by shrubbery » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks Wanderer, that's very helpful. I don't think realistically we can return to live in the UK in the near future - we've put so much time and money into getting set up in Chile (bought new car, new furniture and electrical items etc.), so the likelihood is that when we do return, if ever, the ILR will have expired.
If we did go back, how long would it take to get her naturalised from her current ILR state? Maybe she could go for an extended holiday and stay with my parents until she's naturalised? Then presumably she can do what she wants regarding living abroad?
Lastly, does the fact that she has a British daughter have any bearing on all this?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:44 pm

It could be a tough one to comply with. This is from the UKBA guidlines for someone with current ILR and married to a BC :

'In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spent more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.'
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Post by shrubbery » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks Casa, so basically I think we're screwed :-( All seems very harsh. Surely this legislation won't stand after legal challenges? I keep reading about convicted foreign criminals successfully appealing against deportation orders on the basis of European Human Rights legislation guaranteeing a right to family life - I struggle to see how the same thing wouldn't apply to my living with my wife and daughter in my own country.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 pm

The legislation you're looking at has been in place for many many years.

It's going to remain standing.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:16 am

In effect, they're not denying the right to live in the UK with your family....they require you to apply again for a spouse settlement visa if you've chosen to live outside of the UK for more than 2 years and the previous ILR is void.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa Before Sponsor Returns to the UK?

Post by shrubbery » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:07 pm

I'm a UK national, born and raised in the UK. My wife is Chilean, we married in 2007 and lived in the UK, and my wife got Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2009. In December 2012 we left the UK to live in Chile. We have a daughter born in 2010 in the UK. We have another daughter born here in Chile this year.

I have now been offered a job in the UK and we are going to move back. My wife's ILR will have expired, since we haven't lived in the UK for 3.5 years. In terms of her visa for moving back to the UK, I understand that she will need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa. Can she apply for this now, while I'm still in Chile and haven't started my new job yet? The job easily qualifies us for the financial requirement, but obviously I haven't actually started it yet. I could get a contract and a letter confirming the offer and the salary from my new employer.

It says in another post here that the sponsor:
"...will have to return to the UK, secure employment with annual earnings of at least £18,600 and after being employed for a minimum of 6 months his wife will be able to apply for a spouse settlement visa"
So that sounds like I need actual pay-slips from my new job for 6 months. Is a contract showing my salary not going to work?

I'm obviously not keen to be separated from my family for 6 months, so if that's our situation, should my wife apply for some other 'lesser' visa first? Or just come as a tourist then go back to Chile after 6 months and apply for a visa?

vinny

Re: Spouse Visa Before Sponsor Returns to the UK?

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:26 pm

Did she not return to the UK within 2 years at all?

See also 5. SET9.5 Exception to the two year rule for those who have strong ties to the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Post by shrubbery » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:35 pm

vinny wrote:Did she not return to the UK within 2 years at all?

See also 5. SET9.5 Exception to the two year rule for those who have strong ties to the UK.
No, she hasn't been in the UK at all during the last 3.5 years (neither have I, FWIW). Thanks for those links, it sounds like there's a slim chance she could be granted an exception due to "strong ties to the UK", but how would we find out? Could the embassy here decide?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:47 pm

The Embassy would decide.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Post by shrubbery » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 pm

OK thanks. I'm going to phone the embassy tomorrow. Assuming she does have to apply for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, can she only do that after I've been back and working in the UK for six months?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:55 pm

If applying as a spouse, you/she would have to satisfy Appendix FM-SE.

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Post by shrubbery » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:27 am

vinny wrote:If applying as a spouse, you/she would have to satisfy Appendix FM-SE.
Thanks. Reading that, it looks like we definitely need pay-slips so she won't be able to apply until I've been in my new job for 6 months. Would a sensible strategy be for her to just enter as a tourist and then return to Chile after 6 months and apply?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:50 am

You would meet the financial conditions if:
1.You (as the sponsor) have been earning the equivalent of £18,600 p.a in Chile for the 12 months previous to submitting the application
2. You have a confirmed job offer in the UK to start within 3 months of arrival with annual earnings of £18,600
(Casa, not CR001)

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Post by shrubbery » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:23 am

Just to update this since it may be useful for others in a similar position: we were over the 2 year limit (2 years 8 months at the time) but we applied for the 'returning resident' visa anyway since (as it says in the link by vinny) an exception may be given for those with strong ties to the UK. Anyway, we found out today the visa was granted, so obviously very relieved.

Just a small question: on the new 'returning resident' visa they've stuck in the passport, it has a 'valid until' date which is in April 2016 - presumably this is just time limit for her to fly back to the UK on this visa, rather than the limit to how long she can stay in the UK? Also, the ILR sticker is in her old passport and this returning resident visa is in the new passport - presumably we'll need to take both of them to pass border control? Unfortunately the embassy didn't send a covering letter giving any details. Will we need to get a new ILR sticker in her new passport?

shrubbery
Newly Registered

Returning Resident Entry Clearance / ILR

Post by shrubbery » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 pm

My wife is Chilean, I'm British. She obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2009 when we were living in the UK. We moved to Chile in December 2012 and stayed there for about 2 years and 8 months, before deciding to move back to the UK. My wife applied for a 'Returning Resident' visa which was granted. We moved back to the UK in October 2016 and have been here ever since.

My wife now has a piece of paper stuck in her passport entitled 'UK Entry Clearance' with 'type' given as 'Returning Resident'. Under 'observations' it says "Settlement: Indefinite leave to remain". This was stamped by Heathrow immigration on 8th October.

The thing I don't understand is that this Entry Clearance stamp has a 'Valid until' date of 1/04/16 - presumably after this date her ILR is still valid? What happens when she next leaves the country (i.e. on holiday) and re-enters, give that this Entry Clearance appears to have expired?

vinny

Re: Returning Resident Entry Clearance / ILR

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:45 pm

The entry clearance should normally have been valid for six months, with an ILE observation.

But I expect that she will be okay with the slight error(s).

TeamW
Newly Registered

Post by TeamW » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:28 pm

What is this ILE observation? I'm in the same situation. I'm from Brazil, got my returning resident's entry clearance (6 months validity) and am now here in the Uk. Immigration says I need to re-apply for my ILR whilst a immigration lawyer told me, no, I'm a returning resident, this is my visa and the 6 months is just the time I had to come back.
Shrubbery, did you get to the bottom of this?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 pm

What does the visa say?