ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which route is more convenient method to apply for ILR?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kumar114
Member of Standing

Which route is more convenient method to apply for ILR?

Post by kumar114 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:59 am

Hi there,
I arrived in UK on Sep 2009.

Now I am in Tier 2 General VISA which I got in June/July 2014. I am extending in 2017.

My future plan is to apply for ILR.
But my question is which is more convenient to apply for that.
I mean in the process method...
10 years(Legal stay) route or 5 years( work permit) route?

Kind Regards
Kumar

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Which route is more convenient method to apply for ILR?

Post by VirtualWaver » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 am

I think the 10 years' one as with 5 years' one your company has to show they still need you plus you need to earn specific amount of money per year to qualify. You don't have to show anything with 10 years' route so it's easier.

As long as there is no requirement to apply via 5 years' route I would recommend use 10 years' one

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:07 am

10 Years Long residence is more troublesome for dependants.
Tier 2 requires sufficient earnings and company's continued employment.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kumar114
Member of Standing

Post by kumar114 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 am

VirtualWaver wrote:I think the 10 years' one as with 5 years' one your company has to show they still need you plus you need to earn specific amount of money per year to qualify. You don't have to show anything with 10 years' route so it's easier.

As long as there is no requirement to apply via 5 years' route I would recommend use 10 years' one
Thanks for the info....

kumar114
Member of Standing

Post by kumar114 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:29 am

vinny wrote:10 Years Long residence is more troublesome for dependants.
Tier 2 requires sufficient earnings and company's continued employment.
Hi vinny,
Could you please underline some of the point? Like what type of issues for dependants?
I checked the link..But could not find relevant information.

Let me add one more point..
I am planning to get married next year and want to bring her here too.

Kind Regards
Kumar

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:14 pm

If you apply for ILR based on long residence, your spouse on PBS Dependent will have to switch to FLR(M) and start a new 5 route to ILR. Time a PBS Dependent has spent in the UK will be lost for the purpose of the new 5 year residence requirement on FLR(M).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kumar114
Member of Standing

Post by kumar114 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:45 pm

CR001 wrote:If you apply for ILR based on long residence, your spouse on PBS Dependent will have to switch to FLR(M) and start a new 5 route to ILR. Time a PBS Dependent has spent in the UK will be lost for the purpose of the new 5 year residence requirement on FLR(M).
Thanks for the info.
So to the best option is to go through 5 years( work permit) route? Is that correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Yes as this will be the quickest route for your dependent, who will still need 5 years on PBS Dependent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kumar114
Member of Standing

Post by kumar114 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:13 pm

CR001 wrote:Yes as this will be the quickest route for your dependent, who will still need 5 years on PBS Dependent.
Thanks for your answer...
I would like to ask some more question...Hope u don't mind
1. My Tier 2 Expires in 14 July 2017. What is the best time to renew? I know I still have time. But still want to know in advance.. :)
2. I am getting married in Nov/Dec 2016. Is it okay to start the process for her as soon as we getting married? Or should I first renew my VISA and then start the process?
3. What VISA category she need to apply for?
4. For how long she will get the VISA for?

Kind Regards
Kumar

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:24 pm

1. My Tier 2 Expires in 14 July 2017. What is the best time to renew? I know I still have time. But still want to know in advance.. :)
Ideally within 28 days of expiry of current visa.

2. I am getting married in Nov/Dec 2016. Is it okay to start the process for her as soon as we getting married? Or should I first renew my VISA and then start the process?
As soon as you are marred.
3. What VISA category she need to apply for? PBS Dependent if you are still on Tier 2 General
4. For how long she will get the VISA for? In line with your visa probably.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kumar114
Member of Standing

Post by kumar114 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
Ideally within 28 days of expiry of current visa.

As soon as you are marred.
3. What VISA category she need to apply for? PBS Dependent if you are still on Tier 2 General
4. For how long she will get the VISA for? In line with your visa probably.
Thanks again..
On question no. 4, you said 'in-line with my VISA'. But that will make 6/7 months. So she will get VISA for 4/5(deducting processing time) months only? That's not good then.

Kind Regards
Kumar

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Then you might be better off waiting to apply for your future spouse once you have ILR and then apply for a spouse of settled person visa and the initial visa will be for 33 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kumar114
Member of Standing

Post by kumar114 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:42 pm

CR001 wrote:Then you might be better off waiting to apply for your future spouse once you have ILR and then apply for a spouse of settled person visa and the initial visa will be for 33 months.
Thanks again. Sorry if I am annoying you...
For ILR, I have to wait till 2019.
But can't she extend her VISA? cause I will be extending my Tier 2 VISA first anyway(which is in June 2017) and then do the processing for her? How many months she will be granted?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Sorry, got confused.

You can apply for her PBS Dependent visa. Once you get ILR based on Tier 2 Gen, she can continue to extend her PBS Dep visa within the UK until she meets the 5 year residence requirement and qualifies for ILR.

Her initial entry clearance visa will be granted in line with your visa. When you apply to extend your visa, you apply to extend her PBS Dep visa at the same time and it will be issued in line with your visa (she won't get a visa valid for longer than yours, if that is your question).

If you apply for ILR based on long residence, she will need to switch to FLR(M).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kumar114
Member of Standing

Post by kumar114 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:35 pm

CR001 wrote:Sorry, got confused.

You can apply for her PBS Dependent visa. Once you get ILR based on Tier 2 Gen, she can continue to extend her PBS Dep visa within the UK until she meets the 5 year residence requirement and qualifies for ILR.

Her initial entry clearance visa will be granted in line with your visa. When you apply to extend your visa, you apply to extend her PBS Dep visa at the same time and it will be issued in line with your visa (she won't get a visa valid for longer than yours, if that is your question).

If you apply for ILR based on long residence, she will need to switch to FLR(M).
Thanks again CR001...
Your're awesome...