ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Born Baby - VISA stamping.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

garichd

New Born Baby - VISA stamping.

Post by garichd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 am

Hi All,

I need a bit of advice with regards to visa stamping of a newborn baby.

I am on work permit and my son was born last month here in UK.

After trawling through the forms I now know that I need to apply for his passport from Indian Embassy and as we will be visiting India in Oct-Nov I have to apply for his visa using for FLR(O) form.

Now the Fees on FLR(O) form is £395.
What I was thinking is travel to India without getting visa stamped and then get the visa stamped from India. The cost there is £205.

Has anybody done this in the past?
Is it feasible?
If yes then what Documents we will require and how
much time does it take to get the visa stamped in India?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Garichd

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:55 am

Last edited by vinny on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

garichd

Post by garichd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks for the link Vinny, Below is the extract I found for my condition.
14.7 - Children born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 but who are not British Citizens ( Rules Paragraphs 304 and 305 )

In practice, ECOs will rarely have to deal with this category of entry clearance application.

Before 1 January 1983, every person born in the United Kingdom was automatically British. The British Nationality Act 1981, which came into effect on 1 January 1983, stated that a person born in the United Kingdom after that date would only be a British Citizen if either of the parents was a British Citizen or was settled in the UK.
A child born in the United Kingdom who is not a British Citizen is subject to immigration control. The parents of such a child will normally regularise the child's immigration status, e.g. by applying to the Home Office to have the child given the same leave to remain as themselves. This means that if the child leaves the United Kingdom with its parents, e.g. for a holiday, re-entry will be allowed within the child's existing leave to remain.

However, there will be instances when a child leaves the United Kingdom without leave to remain having been authorised and therefore requires an entry clearance to return. In these circumstances, you should be satisfied that the applicant meets all the following conditions:

intends accompanying or joining a parent or parents who have, or are given, leave to enter or remain in the UK; or is accompanying or joining a parent or parents one of whom is a British Citizen or has right of abode in the UK;
or is a child in local authority care in the UK;
is under 18 years of age; was born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983;
is not leading an independent life, is unmarried and has not formed an independent family unit;
has not been away from the UK for more than 2 years.

Maintenance and accommodation requirements do not apply to a person who qualifies under these provisions.

What is the appropriate endorsement?
The visa endorsement must be in line with that of the parent(s) in the UK so you will need to see evidence of this. For example, if a parent is a work permit holder or student in the UK, the endorsement should read 'TO JOIN / ACCOMPANY FATHER / MOTHER / PARENTS'; if a parent is settled in the UK (e.g. has obtained settled status after being a work permit holder), the endorsement should read 'SETTLEMENT ACCOMPANYING / TO JOIN MOTHER / FATHER'.

Leave to enter the United Kingdom should be granted in line with that of the parents; if the parents have different durations of leave, it will be for the longer period.
If the parent is a British Citizen (e.g. having settled and subsequently registered), you should consider whether the issue of a Certificate of Entitlement or British Passport might be appropriate.
I am wondering If anyone has done this in past and their experience..

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:05 pm

garichd

My advice would be to get a Indian Passport from Indian High Commission,London, travel in person. Now a days it takes a week for a new passprt. Then apply for visa by FLR(O) which would a few weeks. Since you are travelling t o India in Oct, there is ample time. But start the proces now.
Do not travel only with the passport, make sure your child has got a visa stamp otherwise there will problem while returning. One of my friend had a bad experience though I would say that was his stupidity not to do so.

I would not suggest to get the visa stamp in India only for saving few pound. Since in India it might take more time to get the visa

mama
Newly Registered

Post by mama » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Hello
I had a baby boy born in the UK in August 2007. My son has an Indian passport which we obtained from the High Commission in London. My husband went and submitted the application form in person. You need to fill two forms - one form to register the baby and then one form which is a passport application. You can submit both these at the same time.
The passport was ready in 4 working days and once again, my husband collected in person. There was absolutely no problem.

Regarding the visa for the baby, upto you to do it here in UK or in India.

I can only give you my experience. I went to India with the baby and got the visa stamped there. The procedure in India was very simple. If you live in any of the metro cities, you can submit the application for visa in person at the VFS office. The passport with the visa was ready the very next day! You need to take all the documents with you as originals (including your partner's payslips, employement letter if employed). I was quite surprised by the speed and efficiency.
I had to travel to India at short notice and the Home Office didnt have an appointment for 6 weeks! So I decided to get it done in India.
Hope this helps.

garichd

Post by garichd » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:42 pm

mama wrote:Hello
I had a baby boy born in the UK in August 2007. My son has an Indian passport which we obtained from the High Commission in London. My husband went and submitted the application form in person. You need to fill two forms - one form to register the baby and then one form which is a passport application. You can submit both these at the same time.
The passport was ready in 4 working days and once again, my husband collected in person. There was absolutely no problem.

I can only give you my experience. I went to India with the baby and got the visa stamped there. The procedure in India was very simple. If you live in any of the metro cities, you can submit the application for visa in person at the VFS office. The passport with the visa was ready the very next day! You need to take all the documents with you as originals (including your partner's payslips, employement letter if employed). I was quite surprised by the speed and efficiency.
I had to travel to India at short notice and the Home Office didnt have an appointment for 6 weeks! So I decided to get it done in India.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply Mama, We are thinking of getting visa stamped in india, Can you please let me know the type of Form you used in India for visa stamping and list of documents required (Apart from Payslips/Employment letter) , Did you need to Attach your passports as well ?

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 am

DEFINITELY get the children's passports stamped with the visa in the UK. I was in the exact same position as you a few years ago and had the exact same problem i.e. On workpermit, children born in UK , only had passports for them, no dependent visa stamped.

Going was easy. But were stopped on trying to return to the UK. We just had to apply for their dependent visa in Pakistan.

Its easier to get it all sorted while you are all here in the UK in my opinion.

Cheers.

Sy

mama
Newly Registered

Post by mama » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:57 pm

Well, sywahu seems to have had problems returning to the UK. But I didnt get asked any questions at all. It is really your decision as to what you want to do. I am just giving you my experience with stamping the visa for the baby in India.
I strongly suggest that you visit the VFS website for a lot of information. we live quite close to the VFS office in Chennai so we just dropped by and picked up the relevant application form. You need to tell that it is for your baby. The application form to be used is for dependants of work permit holders. I presume things are constantly changing with regads to the UK visas! So I wouldnt be surprised if they have updated/changed the application form since November 2007!
The website is http://www.vfs-uk-in.com
In terms of supporting documentation, I took absolutely everything that I could possibly carry:
1. Original birth certificate
2. Passport of work permit holder (assuming it is father)
3. Passport of mother
4. Letter of employment of work permit holder
5. 6 months of payslips of both if applicable or just the work permit holder
6. 6 months bank statements / savings accounts etc.
7. Utility bills for 3 months minimum
8. Mortgage deed / rental agreement
This is all I can think of at the moment. If there is anything else I remember later, I will post. Hope this helps.

singhengr
Newly Registered

Post by singhengr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:28 am

garichd wrote:
mama wrote:Hello

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply Mama, We are thinking of getting visa stamped in india, Can you please let me know the type of Form you used in India for visa stamping and list of documents required (Apart from Payslips/Employment letter) , Did you need to Attach your passports as well ?
Hi Garichd

I am in the same situation and planning to apply for my son's visa in India as well. Pls advise of the procedure and documents.

Regards,

mr.gaurav
Newly Registered

Post by mr.gaurav » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:07 am

I am on a Student Visa. My wife is expecting a baby next week. I want to apply for tier 1 visa.

I had a doubt regarding which visa should I apply for after getting the passport done. Do I need to apply for a Students dependant for my baby first and then switch to Tier 1 Dependent along with my application. Or Do I have an option of applying as a Tier 1 Dependent directly with my application without the baby having any visa initially.

Would appreciate any help.

Regards
Gaurav

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:02 pm

If born in the UK, then see also need for a dependent visa?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

singhengr
Newly Registered

Post by singhengr » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:46 pm

mr.gaurav wrote:I am on a Student Visa. My wife is expecting a baby next week. I want to apply for tier 1 visa.

I had a doubt regarding which visa should I apply for after getting the passport done. Do I need to apply for a Students dependant for my baby first and then switch to Tier 1 Dependent along with my application. Or Do I have an option of applying as a Tier 1 Dependent directly with my application without the baby having any visa initially.

Would appreciate any help.

Regards
Gaurav
Hi Gaurav

Just apply your Tier 1 visa and send ur baby's passport along with your application as dependent. No need to get student dependent visa.

If you are planning to visit overseas before you apply for Tier 1 visa, your baby will need a student depndent visa in that case only.

As long as your baby is not going out of UK and coming back, he doesnt need a depndent visa.

Regards,

Bally

ravib_10
Newly Registered

Visa stamping of new born baby

Post by ravib_10 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:39 am

Hi,

My wife is expecting a baby next month.
I am in uk on Tier 1 General visa (Earlier known as HSMP).

I have a doubt about which form do i need to fill for my baby's visa and within what period after birth, should i apply for the visa stamping.

Thanks n Regards

Mrs Khan

Post by Mrs Khan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:55 pm

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi, my wife is expecting a baby. We have ILR stamped on our Indian passport. If anyone knows about how to get ILR stamped on baby's Indian passport ?
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:30 pm

herts wrote:Hi, my wife is expecting a baby. We have ILR stamped on our Indian passport. If anyone knows about how to get ILR stamped on baby's Indian passport ?
Thanks
If born in the UK, then baby will automatically be British (1(1)(b)).
Else, baby may apply for a child settlement visa and should be given an ILE endorsement.

taiwookunade
Newly Registered

Post by taiwookunade » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:41 am

Sorry

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks members for your replies
I had one more query, when a child is born in uk do we have to apply for British passport for new born ? I and my wife hold ILR with Indian passport, we would like the new born to also have Indian passport, can this be done ?
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Unlike US citizens, it's not compulsory for British citizens to apply for British passports for travel.

See also Overseas Citizenship of India and OCI vs PIO Card.

zzool1
Newly Registered

HSMP holder with NON-uk born baby

Post by zzool1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 am

Dear All,

I'm currently an HSMP holder and my wife is expecting our first child shortly.

Due to my tradition, we'll be having this baby in our native land.

So, would the baby require a passport or visa to return or can the baby be included in the mothers passport (i presume the hsmp visa overs the baby)

Please help

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:47 am

zzool1 wrote:Dear All,

I'm currently an HSMP holder and my wife is expecting our first child shortly.

Due to my tradition, we'll be having this baby in our native land.

So, would the baby require a passport or visa to return or can the baby be included in the mothers passport (i presume the hsmp visa overs the baby)

Please help
Following the introduction of biometric passports, I suspect that child will require his/her own passport.

Child will also require own visa, irrespective of whether s/he is included in mother's passport.

zzool1
Newly Registered

Post by zzool1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Please help

Following the introduction of biometric passports, I suspect that child will require his/her own passport.

Child will also require own visa, irrespective of whether s/he is included in mother's passport.
Vinny, thank you.

My wife and I currently do not have biometric passports and our home government does not mandate we have one - at least till some time in the future.

temo
Newly Registered

Post by temo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:04 am

I'm a work permit holder issued in Oct/2008 (the old system) and I couldn't find much information about how to apply for my new born on home office website, so I called them to ask what form to use, how long does it take and how much?
I was told to use FLR(O) form and I was told they cant give me a time estimate as the work permit has been replaced by the Tier system and they have no guidlines on how long the application like mine would take.

I have few questions I hope someone can help with:
1- did anyone apply recently and can share information on how long it took?
2- I found it confusing filling out the form, where do I fill my information and where do I fill my baby's information? ( there is a part for dependent, applicant, Financials, benefits and declaration!
3- What supporting documents I need to enclose?

Thanks in advance for your help

T

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:25 am

temo, I shall let others comment about the time aspect you ask about, but as regards how to fill in the visa application form, fill it in as if the baby was personally completing the form! The only exception is that the parent should sign the declaration, using their ordinary signature.

But given that you are new here, welcome, in the topic, have you read it from start to finish? And also clicked on the links it contains? Lots of guidance there.

Question .... do you really need to apply for a visa at all, at this time? When are you next due to apply for a visa for yourself?
John

temo
Newly Registered

Post by temo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:23 pm

But given that you are new here, welcome, in the topic, have you read it from start to finish? And also clicked on the links it contains? Lots of guidance there.
Thank you John for the prompt reply and the warm welcome :). Yes I'm pretty sure I did go through the topic from start to end and checked the links which I found useful.
Question .... do you really need to apply for a visa at all, at this time? When are you next due to apply for a visa for yourself?
Yes, and here I'll make things more complicated and seed a new question. I'm in the final stages of changing jobs (Negotiating :)) and I'm planning to take a month brake between the two jobs which I'll spend abroad with Mrs and baby, so thats why I want to apply for the visa now before I'm un-employed and outside UK.
The question raised: Do I and my dependants need to re-apply for a visa if I change employer? given that the nature (role) of the job is the same and the new employer told me they will be transfering my work permit (not re-applying).