ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Dependant absence from UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pmw456
Newly Registered

ILR - Dependant absence from UK

Post by pmw456 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:28 am

Hi,
My wife is 20 weeks pregnant and wants to visit India to have our baby. She wants to stay at least for 6 months in India before returning back to UK. Currently, we are on Tier 1 General (valid until Jan 2013). However I will be in UK and would visit her couple of times during her stay in India. Will her stay affect our ILR application? I will be eligible for ILR in Aug 2011. How long can she stay continuously? (I will be main applicant and will not be outside UK for more than 90 day as suggested by Home office). I would really appreciate if someone can advice us on this.
Thanks in advance
pmw456

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:16 am

Consider having the child born in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:01 pm

To apply ILR, a dependent needs to be in UK for last 2 years, continuously. If she travels to India to have baby, she won't be eligible to apply ILR as dependent. However, she can always extend are leave (Leave to Remain or Futher Leave to Remain) as dependent of ILR holder (you).

A pregnent lady should deliver baby where she is comfortable and have strong faith in medical system. I am one who hates NHS for their lazy services.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:20 pm

"Continuous" is not referred to in 319E.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

pmw456
Newly Registered

Post by pmw456 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Dear Vinny and rajesh9pl,

Many thanks for your advice. My wife has been in UK for last 3 years will that be sufficient. Does she need to be here "continuously" before applying for ILR along with me?

Thanks again,
pmw

vik_mad

Post by vik_mad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 am

Hi Vinny,

could you please advise if my spouse is out of the UK on holidays for couple of weeks in last 2 years or just before the due date of ILR, would that affect the application?

also when they say continuous does that mean no holidays as well?

thanks,

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 am

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:50 am

pmw456 - Pls refer all responses from Vinny. At the same time here with my personel sugegstions.

1. You or your wife stay outside UK for more than 90days before SET(0) submition will affect ILR eligibility.

2. If you plan to have a baby birth in UK. You can directly apply for Citizenship for him/her after you get your ILR.

kshahzad
Newly Registered

Post by kshahzad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:57 am

where are you guys finding this time period of 90 days from? how do you guys define "continuous" presence in UK? any links referring to either of these please?

apply4hsmp

Post by apply4hsmp » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:09 am

gentlejuke wrote:pmw456 - Pls refer all responses from Vinny. At the same time here with my personel sugegstions.
1. You or your wife stay outside UK for more than 90days before SET(0) submition will affect ILR eligibility.

I am in a similar situation, my wife has taken two 90 days break in the last 5 years and thats pretty much it.

What confuses me is if I get the ILR should my wife who is dependent not get an ILR dependent visa because of that ?

Ambassador
Newly Registered

Post by Ambassador » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 am

I am applying for ILR and I am also in the same situation.

The rule says that your dependant partner can apply with you if they have lived 2 years in UK. It does not say anything about continuous stay or period of absence. I think it should not be a problem if partner has stayed for 2 years continuously in the 5 year period.

kshahzad
Newly Registered

Post by kshahzad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 am

apply4hsmp wrote:
gentlejuke wrote:pmw456 - Pls refer all responses from Vinny. At the same time here with my personel sugegstions.

I am in a similar situation, my wife has taken two 90 days break in the last 5 years and thats pretty much it.

What confuses me is if I get the ILR should my wife who is dependent not get an ILR dependent visa because of that ?
I'm in a similar situation, hence the question. I have checked the link Vinny has mentioned and it does not mention 90 days and does not define what "continuous" is. I do not know whether they have left it at the discretion of case worker or there is information available elsewhere. I have failed to find it so far anyway.

Gopaalan

Post by Gopaalan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Ambassador wrote:
The rule says that your dependant partner can apply with you if they have lived 2 years in UK. It does not say anything about continuous stay or period of absence. I think it should not be a problem if partner has stayed for 2 years continuously in the 5 year period.
Even the Set O form doesn't ask any details of the dependants absense. It's only asking for the cohabitation proof.

In Vinny's link, it doesn't say continuous period of 2 years, and it only says after completing 2 years in the country.

lunatfr

Post by lunatfr » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:47 pm

In a similar situation as well...wife out for more than 9 months!

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:44 am

hi Vinny, I went through this document and it explains for main applicants. The immigration rules explains that any dependant should have spent atleast 2 years and for co-habitation proofs to be submitted upto 2 years.

My wife was away from UK for 11 months due to complications in pregnancy. Luckily she had completed 2 years (continious with holidays out og UK) of stay before she left UK.

Should I explain in the ILR application while I file for one in June 2011? or wait for case worker to ask for details. Pls help.

Also, anyone who were in similar situation applied for ILR? Pls share your experiences...

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:36 am

Include proof of at least the two year's cohabitation in the UK.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 05, 2011 4:40 pm

See also Ambassador's success.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks Vinny...You help much appreciated!
vinny wrote:See also Ambassador's success.

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 am

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. My wife came to UK in Dec 2008 but was away for a year for child birth.

Would someone know if the applications by pmw456, vik_mad, apply4hsmp, kshahzad, lunatfr and maximux79 were successful?

Thanks.

clintonmdu01
Newly Registered

whats the solution

Post by clintonmdu01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:55 pm

I hope all of you might have now applied and got the IRL but could you please let me know what happened to your dependents who had a break in the last two year solts.

ilrdep

Post by ilrdep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Please check whether this will answer your query
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 0&start=20