ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching to Tier-4 dependent from inside the UK

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

manabkumar
Newly Registered

Switching to Tier-4 dependent from inside the UK

Post by manabkumar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:26 am

Hello everybody.

I would like to know if there is any way to switch from PSW to Tier-4 dependent from inside the UK?

I am on PSW and my girlfriend is on Tier-4 student.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:34 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

manabkumar
Newly Registered

Application form

Post by manabkumar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply.
My main doubt is that the application form says "This form is for use outside the UK only". So which form should I use then?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 pm

I think it is FLR(O)
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

manabkumar
Newly Registered

RE: Application form

Post by manabkumar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:58 pm

D4109125 wrote:I think it is FLR(O)
FLR(O) application form says that "dependants can apply with main applicant" but here I am trying to be the dependent of my girlfriend who already got visa for tier-4 student (she is doing masters in university).

The form also says that
Dependant of a person who has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK other than under the points based system.
------------
I would be really grateful if you guide me here as I have really limited time. Thanks.. I was actually been consulting with a solicitor, he was keeping our hopes high. But now he said he can't take the case, may be it is too complicated for him.

manabkumar
Newly Registered

Which form and where to send?

Post by manabkumar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Please somebody tell me Which form should I use? and Where should I send it?

As I already mentioned above my partner got tier 4 visa and I have PSW. And I want to switch to Tier-4 dependent from inside the UK.

sujwal
Newly Registered

Re: Which form and where to send?

Post by sujwal » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:03 pm

manabkumar wrote:Please somebody tell me Which form should I use? and Where should I send it?

As I already mentioned above my partner got tier 4 visa and I have PSW. And I want to switch to Tier-4 dependent from inside the UK.
Please share your experience after your apply Visa. Thank you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Apparently, cannot apply separately (although there may be some exceptions)?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:01 am

Flr(o) is not the correct form.

You have to apply online

Or use the print and send application

You do not need to apply at the same time as your spouse unless you only qualify due to the transitional arrangements which will not be the case if you are switching from another category. How long is her course. Have you been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:13 am

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Sorry was in rush this morning so perhaps wasn't clear. Yes a person subject to that paragraph has to apply at the same time as the main migrant. However, the OP is not subject to that paragraph.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Isn't 319C(i) a requirement?

We don't know if 319C(i)(i) is true.

We don't know if 319C(i)(ii) is true.

319C(i)(iii) is false.

We don't know if 319C(i)(iv) is true.

If neither 319C(i)(i) nor 319C(i)(ii) nor 319C(i)(iii) are true, then 319C(i)(iv) must be true.

There appears to be insufficient data to support the hypothesis that the OP isn't subject to 319C(i)(iv), including 319C(i)(iv)(3).

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:53 pm

The OP is currently a PSW migrant and therefore 319C (i)(iv) does not apply because he does not fulfil 319C(i)(iv)(2) therefore assuming meets either 319c(i) (i) or (ii) he will not need to apply at the same time as his partner. If neither 319C (i)(i) or 319c(i)(ii) apply then the Op will not qualify for leave as a tier 4 dependent.

This is all said notwithstanding the fact that we don't know if the op will satisfy the relationship requirement of having cohabited for two years with his girlfriend

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks, Greenie!

You are right!

I had overlooked that 319C(i)(iv)(2) also prevents partners from switching. This makes the changes in 319C(h) limited for partners of Tier 4.
Last edited by vinny on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 pm

The reason for the difference is that (iv) is only there as part of the 'transitional' arrangements (how transitional they are I don't know because they have been in place for two years now). Essentially when they drastically changed the rules on tier 4 dependants in 2011, (iv) was there for those dependants who already had tier 4 dependent /student dependent leave before the rules changed and who would no longer qualify under the new more restrictive requirements.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Yes. 319C(i)(iv)(2) limits the scope of 319C(h) too.

If 319C(i)(iv)(2) fails, then 319C(i)(iv) fails (and 319C(i)(iv)(3) is irrelevant :oops:).

Therefore, in the OP's case, 319C(i)(iv) is false.

Off topic, do you have any further thoughts/advice for morshedsaikat?

sancha

Post by sancha » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:29 pm

I am not sure about this but one solicitor told me that from 1 Oct 2013 if husband is on Tier-2 visa and kids on Tier-2 dependant visa and wife is on tier-4 visa and if husband lost his job then husband and kids can be Tier-4 depandant on the wife Tier-4 visa inside the UK. Husband and kids do not need to apply from home country now.- Please check this befor doing so as I am very new and sharing what solicitor told me. May be some senior member can confirm whether it is correct or not.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:19 am

manabkumar
Newly Registered

Application has been refused

Post by manabkumar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Hello @Greenie and @Vinny,
thank you for your responses. I have found them really helpful but unfortunately my visa application has been refused and here is the reason for refusal:
Dependants of a Tier 4 (General) applicant must have, or have last been granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as:
- the Dependant Partner of a Points Based System Migrant, or
- the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person with leave under another category of the Immigration Rules who has since been granted, or is, at the same time being granted, leave to remain as a Points Based System Migrant
As your most recent grant of leave was as a Tier 1 (Post Study) Migrant, the Secretary of State is nor satisfied that you meet these requirements.

As you do not satisfy the requirements of the Immigration Rules for this category, it has been decided to refuse your application for leave to remain as a Dependant Partner of a Points Based System Migrant under paragraph 319C(h) of the Immigration Rules.
However, they have given me the right to appeal so I would be really grateful if you could suggest me on this matter. Thank You.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 am

The caseworker is refusing under the incorrect rule. Unfortunately, however, if 319C(i) also fails, then you cannot succeed.

zeeshi1122

Re: Switching to Tier-4 dependent from inside the UK

Post by zeeshi1122 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 pm

My tier 4 visa was expired in dec 2014 after that i applied for flr(o) which was refused in March but home office gave me right of appeal at the moment i am in appeal and waiting for hearing date, my wife is tier 4 student in University and doing level 7 course and course is for 2 years, my question is can i switch to become her dependent with in the uk? And i heard of that we need to apply at the same time but wife already had a visa so how do i apply at a same time too confusing.
Can anyone please help

Regards
Zeeshi

zeeshi1122

Re: Switching to Tier-4 dependent from inside the UK

Post by zeeshi1122 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:19 pm

My tier 4 visa was expired in dec 2014 after that i applied for flr(o) which was refused in March but home office gave me right of appeal at the moment i am in appeal and waiting for hearing date, my wife is tier 4 student in University and doing level 7 course and course is for 2 years, my question is can i switch to become her dependent with in the uk? And i heard of that we need to apply at the same time but wife already had a visa so how do i apply at a same time too confusing.
Can anyone please help

Regards
Zeeshi