ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tanya S
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Child born in UK

Post by Tanya S » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:11 pm

Hello, Thank you for looking into this enquiry. I am on a Tier 2 General visa and eligible to apply for ILR in November (1 month before completing 5 years from the start of entry clearance) and coincidentally the Indian passport of my son (5 year old, born in UK) expires almost around the time in November.

I have 3 queries:
(1) Do I understand it correctly that my son is eligible to apply for Citizenship right after I get my ILR?
(2) If we above is True, then do I need to apply for the ILR for our son first and then for his citizenship?
(3) If his passport expires before our ILR is approved, do we need to renew his Indian passport to apply for his citizenship?

Again, thanks a lot in advance for your help with this.

Best
TS

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born in UK

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:15 pm

1. Yes.

2. No. Citizenship directly on form MN1.

3. No.

Note that he will lose his Indian citizenship once he becomes British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Tanya S
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Tanya S » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:34 pm

That response came at a lighting speed; thank you so much, I really appreciate. :)

Best
TS

Tanya S
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Tanya S » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 am

Hi,

Thank you again for the quick response. I have another question related to above. I am seeking an approval for costs related to settlement from my company. Can you guide me what all costs I should get approved?

I understand that the costs would be the following:

- ILR fees - £2389 per applicant (For Main applicant as well as dependent/ Adult or child)
- Life in UK test - £50 per applicant (only for adults)
- Language assessment - B1 test - £150 (Trinity college)
- Cost of a consultant - ???? (don't know how much this is usually??)
- Priority/Super priority service - £500/£800 per applicant
- Passport fees (for our5 year old son born in UK who is eligible to apply after we get ILR) - £1012
- Any other costs which I should consider???

I will appreciate if you can provide your input into this.

Many thanks
TS

Tanya S
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Citizenship application for a child

Post by Tanya S » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:11 am

Hello, Thank you for looking into this enquiry. I am on a Tier 2 General visa and eligible to apply for ILR in November 8 (1 month before completing 5 years from the start of entry clearance).

I have 3 questions:

(1) I understand that my son can apply for British Citizenship (on Form MN1) as soon as I get my ILR and so i don't need to apply for his ILR first. However I am being told my someone that the citizenship application can takes 5-6 months and during that time the child’s UK immigration status would lapse, which would leave the child without valid status. So, should I apply for his ILR first?

(2) Do both parents need to have ILR for our son to get ILR/Citizenship? I ask because my wife has still not passed her English test and Life in UK test, so there might be a delay in her application.

(3) My company seems to worry from the idea that I am getting ILR and I might leave. Can they cause any hindrances in my application?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help with this.

Best
TS

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Citizenship application for a child

Post by manci » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Moderators, suggest to merge this post with:
british-citizenship/child-born-in-uk-t3 ... l#p2034185
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:13 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:34 pm

1. Your choice.
2. One parent with ILR is sufficient.
3. They have to satisfy SW 24.2.
The sponsor must confirm that they still require the applicant to work for them for the foreseeable future, and that the applicant is paid, and will be paid for the foreseeable future, at least the salary in SW 24.3.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.