ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR claiming UC wih spouse on Tier 1 dependant visa

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

khalelshaikh
Newly Registered

ILR claiming UC wih spouse on Tier 1 dependant visa

Post by khalelshaikh » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 pm

Dear Gurus ,
I am currently on ILR acquired through Tier 1 Entrepreneur 5 years route and my wife is still on Tier 1 Entrepreneur dependant visa vaild until 2022. My wife qualifies for ILR in Jan 2021 for completing 5 years as a dependant.
Due to Covid-19 my travel business has impacted and I am unable to get enough salary as PAYE so need to claim Universal Credit to pay my bills until things get better.

Will claiming UC effect my Naturalization application due to apply next month ?
Will claiming UC affect my wife's visa as she is restricted to public funds ?

I would be very grateful on your expert advice

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: ILR claiming UC wih spouse on Tier 1 dependant visa

Post by JB007 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:48 am

khalelshaikh wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 pm
Dear Gurus ,
I am currently on ILR acquired through Tier 1 Entrepreneur 5 years route and my wife is still on Tier 1 Entrepreneur dependant visa vaild until 2022. My wife qualifies for ILR in Jan 2021 for completing 5 years as a dependant.
Due to Covid-19 my travel business has impacted and I am unable to get enough salary as PAYE so need to claim Universal Credit to pay my bills until things get better.

Will claiming UC effect my Naturalization application due to apply next month ?
Will claiming UC affect my wife's visa as she is restricted to public funds ?

I would be very grateful on your expert advice
You can claim as you have settlement and it must be a joint claim with your wife, but you cannot take extra benefit money for your wife. Your wife's salary and capital, in any country, will reduce your benefit amount.

Have a read of the sticky
https://www.immigrationboards.com/claim ... 02126.html
Make sure you read all the links in that thread. If you are going to be asking for help with rent, be careful if you have a joint tenancy, to ensure you don't take extra benefit money for your wife.

If you are going to be claiming as gainfully self employed, there is no MIF (Minimum Income Floor) atm, but this is due to end in November (unless the government announce otherwise).

The temporary extra money on UC due to coronavirus, will end in April 2021.